NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

Marty72

Elite member
That was an awesome maiden bud, the 10x45 is quite a slow prop isn't it?
Thanks, it went as well as it could have. After yesterday's crash, I was as nervous as Barney Fife. " Andy, I'm going to launch it...."

Yeah, the plane was slower than I expected but I can fix that.

And did you see that landing, I was pretty excited to nail it on the first try? I realize it more forgiving than store bought war birds but still.

Last edited:

Marty72

Elite member
@Marty72 here’s one of the 4s lipos I got. It was under $20 on Amazon and had good reviews so I got it. It’s served me really well! Specs are 1550 mah and 100C View attachment 154741
Yeah, maybe I'll try that before a more expensive motor. So what size 4 cell will last approximately as long as a 3 cell 2200 mah? Anyone know off hand, I know there are lots to variables.......Just something close.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah, maybe I'll try that before a more expensive motor. So what size 4 cell will last approximately as long as a 3 cell 2200 mah? Anyone know off hand, I know there are lots to variables.......Just something close.
If you put the 9x6 on you will notice a significant difference in speed for sure, and it will still slow down for the epic landing as well

Marty72

Elite member
If you put the 9x6 on you will notice a significant difference in speed for sure, and it will still slow down for the epic landing as well
Yeah, for sure, it worked for the Scout. The Scout with a C pack and a 9x6 is a rocket. Unfortunately, the C pack motor I crashed needs bearings or needs to be replaced. I worked it out, got it rotation pretty smooth but under power, it screech.

Tomorrow, I'll find out. Looking forward to it, hope to run 4 batteries through it. Possibly, 6 if amazon delivers early in the morning, giving me enough time to charge.

The flying weather turns after tomorrow, doubt I'll get another opportunity until Sunday. Excited to have something new to fly.

PoorManRC

Master member
You need to change that!
I likely will.... I'm not one for unfinished projects.
(UNFINISHED, not taking WAY too long, like I've been doing lately!!) 😖😜😂
The P-40 will just be a while. I hope you guys will see it's as worth it as I do.

..... I've turned it into an Art Project! But I'd still like to see her Fly. She IS going to be a little chunky... 1040g, and I've still got work to do! 😳
But if you guys remember the Wing I built for this (about 10-12 pages ago), it's so beautiful, it's GOT to fly!

Marty72

Elite member
What a beautiful landing! Heck, an uneventful maiden is what we are all shooting for. Well done!
Thanks Buzz. Quite a departure from my maidens with the Simple Scout, ha.

Yeah, I was pretty excited about how calm it all was.

So for those of you who haven't maiden your P 40s yet. I have a couple of suggestions. Do the first flight with the 10x4.5 prop that comes with the plane. (it's just easy to fly with this prop, perfect for a maiden). The spec cg is 2.0, I used 1.75 and that is darn near perfect (for me). Not sure I'd recommend the spinner, it looks awesome but 49 grams and it needs to be balanced.

Today, I put 2 batteries through it with a 9x6 prop (c pack motor). This did increase the speed and it's about right, however, I did notice the lose of thrust. Both of my hand launches today were a bit sketchy as it just didn't launch out of the hole the way the 10x4.5 did. I'm now going to try the 10x5 for the next flight. I think this is going to be the right prop for my set up. I bought a kitchen scale and have weight my 3 ft planes. I was thinking the P40, weight-wise was much closer to the Scout, but it's not, it's very close to the Sportster.

My P 40 (with the spinner) weighs 612 grams, with battery (2200 mah) it's 750 grams. It's 26% higher than the Scout and only 3% less than the Sportster.

I'll be getting at least one larger motor and probably some 4s batteries too, in the future.

Flying the P 40 with a 9x6: I liked the speed, it was just about right for me. It carved very smooth, scale turns and big smooth loops. I struggled a bit with the rolls, it rolls much slower than my other 2 ft planes. It was fine, but I was nervous as it seemed so slow. That is probably due to lack of speed and thrust and poor technique . I'm looking forward to learning to fly this plane with authority, it feels more real and I'm pretty sure it's not going to forgive mistakes like the Simple Scout. Funny thing, the Sportster is a great transition plane because it's right in the middle of the Scout and P 40 as far as flying characteristics.

Good luck on your maidens.