NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Good point, that is true, much less surface area, but it's got a lot of throw. But the throw doesn't make up the difference.
I think the theory is that less surface area on the aileron surface means there is more solid surface area to leverage against in the roll. It actually flies more scale for a warbird that way. In full scale usually warbirds weren't meant for aerobatics like we experience in RC, they were built for speed. Ideally the faster the plane the less surface authority needed. There is always a trade off

If you want a faster roll on the P-40 you could do a snap roll, which is rudder input in the same direction as ailerons, makes the roll twice as fast as just ailerons. The P-40 has a massive rudder so it should whip right around.

Kmac31

Just finished my p40 waiting for a good day to do my maiden flight. It was a really fun build might attach landing gear later still undecided

Attachments

• 20200128_213848.jpg
    20200128_213848.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Marty72

Elite member
Very nice plane...….good luck.

I crashed mine on it's 7th flight. Ripped the wing out of the fuse. Not sure what happened, but the servo for the elevator failed. I don't know if the crash damaged it or if it failed in the air. Repaired the plane, replaced the servo and flew it the next day to verify the repairs. All good, just not pristine anymore.

IMG_2272.JPG

Post repair.

IMG_2275.JPG IMG_2273.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Very nice plane...….good luck.

I crashed mine on it's 7th flight. Ripped the wing out of the fuse. Not sure what happened, but the servo for the elevator failed. I don't know if the crash damaged it or if it failed in the air. Repaired the plane, replaced the servo and flew it the next day to verify the repairs. All good, just not pristine anymore.

View attachment 156208
Post repair.

View attachment 156206 View attachment 156207
Did you change the color of the bottom of the wing for orientation or was it always that color?

Kmac31

No problems no instructions but if you have made a few planes you can figure it out. I'm really hoping john overstreet releases his master build p40 that thing is sweet this will be a good year for ft warbirds. I got into the hobby just in time

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
No problems no instructions but if you have made a few planes you can figure it out. I'm really hoping john overstreet releases his master build p40 that thing is sweet this will be a good year for ft warbirds. I got into the hobby just in time
I am still waiting on his Spitfire, and the Mustang, I didn't know they had a P-40 though

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Did you look at the website he posted and linked. So many planes to choose from, I didn't count them all but there has to be over 50 for sure.

I actually already had all those plans. Those are the plans that Vincent (unrauv from the forums) made that I had mentioned in the past. There are some fantastic planes int there to build. it is a great resource that has been collected for easy viewing. I recommend anyone take a look. they arent the traditional flight test method but anyone who has built a few planes should be able to make sense of them

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I actually already had all those plans. Those are the plans that Vincent Unrau made that I had mentioned in the past. There are some fantastic planes int there to build. it is a great resource that has been collected for easy viewing. I recommend anyone take a look. they arent the traditional flight test method but anyone who has built a few planes should be able to make sense of them
Oh that's the same guy, I did notice they are all separated PDF's