Next project - Long duration U-2 B-25 hybrid.

SGrog

Hello all!

I am in the process of finishing up a H Quad and have my sights on a fixed wing aircraft next. I started out flying powered RC gliders, so its not to bad a change over. I am looking at creating a long duration flight time Balsa plane. As the title suggests, it would be a hybrid between the dual ruudders and motors of the B-25 Mitchell, and the glider and duration capabilities of the U-2 Dragonlady. I have multiple goals, but hope to develop something with a large payload capacity, but can be aloft fo several hours ideally.

Questions:

What is the best way to work with Balsa? Tools, etc. Currently when I work with balsa, when I cut it cross grain, it gets really messy.

For leading edges, is it adventageous to use like basswood?

Thank you for any help you may have!

-Sean

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Balsa basics from someone who's never built from anything else...

If you can't cut it across the grain, your knife is too dull. In the free flight world, we have a saying: "begin building this model by opening the package for a new razor blade". For an R/C model, expect to use several of them, or xacto blades or whatever works for the wood sizes involved. Further, if you're using wood more than about 3/8" thick, or more than 10 lb/ft^3 density, it's time to put the knife away and pull out a saw blade. Band saws and the like are your friend.

Free flight gliders often use basswood inlays for the leading edges, but the goal there is something so sharp it can peel an apple. For your purposes, hard balsa will be more than sufficient.