Next speed build kit: Tricopter

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
What do you guys think? I would like the next speed build kit to be a tri copter based on davids or chads latest greatest designs. I've been thinking about building one and the frames are great but a whole frame kit down to the landing gear would be better. I think they're going that way but I would like to see it be their next release. Maybe do an electronic package with lazertoyz like they are for the foamies.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I like it. I've got the main body plates ordered. As well as all of the electronics (even though the controller is just the old KK board.) even the old nose wheel hinge kit for the tilt. So I'll be building one as soon as those body plates arrive, which could be today!

Liemavick

Mentor
I'm game if it's around $150 including electronics. Maybe they can fit it with "begginers" electronics, no need for big motors to take out the tower. Just a basic model to learn to fly with, no GPS, return home, etc... Is it doable for that price I wonder?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's what I'm thinking. I don't want the ardupilot or DJI wookong super expensive fly itself version, just a basic copter made to carry a go pro and fly on a 2200 ish 3cell. I know there's parts, but adding the arms and extras so it all came in a box would make my life a lot simpler. Include a recommended parts list of electronics and a setup guide based on those pieces and you'd have a winner. Keep it under 50 for the kit and I'd buy one. 200 with electronics and props and I'd buy it.

What do you guys think?

Definitely not as cheap as a speedbuild foamie but thats' expected with the costs of 3 motors and esc's, control board and servo.

JayaTheCat

I think it's a good idea, though I wouldn't buy one myself just because I've built mine and the more homemade it is the better. However, I know there are a lot of folks who are hesitant to get into multi-rotors and a package deal would make the whole thing easier to swallow. It's a great idea!

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Having built a tricopter I wouldn't exactly call it a 'speed'build.

David's instructions for a home made tri are brilliant. Just buy his centreplates (and probably also the camera mount) and get the rest from a hardware store. It would be cheaper to buy $5 of pine from your local shop than having the FT crew cut it and post it to you. If you can't use a saw this part of the hobby is not for you.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Well, I can use a saw just fine thanks. However you assume that everyone has a Local Hobby Shop which I don't and since my local hardware stores don't carry square sticks of pine my closest source is in Anchorage which is 300 miles away. Therefore 5 dollar pine doesn't really exist for me so I would like to see a kit that has it all and pay a little more for them to handle it.

That's kind of like saying I'm too lazy to cut out the plans or dumb to use a knife so this part isn't for me because I want the lazer cut kit and foam board is so much cheaper. By the way there's no dollar store here either.

Besides, if flitetest continues to develop their kits the way they have the speedbuild kits I think they could probably either find something even better or hit on some more ideas to make it even simpler. It's much easier to make parts and let everyone else work out the details than it is to develop a kit that works well together. I'd like to see a speed build kit because I know that they're only going to release it if it's great.

Last edited:

glydr

Sorry AK, didn't mean any offence there. I wasn't aware that you didn't have a local pine source.

Maybe FT could offer the pine as a part in the store - between that and the centreplates, gear and tail mechanism that would be a full kit apart from the electronics.

I know that FPV Manuals chose not to deliver booms with his kits as the postage became prohibitive (http://www.fpvmanuals.com/tricopter/)

Sorry again.

G

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Sorry AK, didn't mean any offence there.
G

It's cool. It's like being on the moon up here. Things are few and far away. It's just been in the last five years that things are becoming reasonable to ship here too. Amazon is the greatest because they have so many things they ship free, even to us. Amainhobbies is another one that ships really cheap or free if you spend enough.

I've just found an amazing deal on a .90 size helicopter that I may not be able to walk away from. If that happens I won't have any money for tricopters until my wife finds out and divorces me.

.....probably not then either lol.

Is wood still the best material? I see full carbon kits on hobbyking, why couldn't the booms be carbon? I have long fiberglass rods from my nitro heli's training gear that I was thinking about using. Would that work or is there something harmonic that goes on that it won't?

JayaTheCat

Is wood still the best material? I see full carbon kits on hobbyking, why couldn't the booms be carbon? I have long fiberglass rods from my nitro heli's training gear that I was thinking about using. Would that work or is there something harmonic that goes on that it won't?

I think carbon is fine, but becomes somewhat of an issue if you use the craft for FPV. I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that carbon fiber can play a role in how good your signal is?

glydr

Latest vid answers all our wants!

Prices are (I think) quite reasonable.