Nitro FT Baby Blender

Rossimoto

Ever had one of those days when your having a tidy up and come across an old engine or airframe and think ....I should do something with that ?
Well I found my old Baby Blender it looked rough and I chucked it in the throw out pile .....
About 30 minutes later I found an equally rough SC25 nitro engine still covered in mud after being dug out the ground a year ago when attached to a Cambrian Mustang that thought sub-terranian life might be more suitable.
I had one of those .....wonder if this will run moments, and spotted the sorry looking Baby Blender.
10 minutes later engine is abit cleaner and taped into the plane to check the CG .
The result is this screaming , smoking, prop hanging animal of a plane.
It really shouldn't work as well as it does , I've given it a light coat of clear coat and it seems to have prevented any problems with the fuel and foam board.
The moral of the story ....don't chuck it out have fun with it 😀
IMG_20190519_162858006.jpg

Webdragon

i had looked at a baby blander but decided i wanted to try a slightly easier plane for my first coroplast conversion.
but worry not it is in there, i have wanted to add a bipe to my hangar for a long time.

JennyC6

Elite member
I love it haha. My own experience with FT foamboard and nitro power shows you'll have a fine lifespan out of that bird. The stuff's alraedy resistant to glow fuel as it comes, doesn't really care about the exhaust residue at all.

Get us some vids of it flying!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I dunno why, but gas makes me nervous...Plus there's the issues with flying times.We can't start flying gas at our field until after 9 am - noise restrictions, and the people who live in the homes about 1/2 mi away complain that someone's firing up a weedwhacker.

But hey, if it flies - GREAT!!! :)

Rossimoto

I dunno why, but gas makes me nervous...Plus there's the issues with flying times.We can't start flying gas at our field until after 9 am - noise restrictions, and the people who live in the homes about 1/2 mi away complain that someone's firing up a weedwhacker.

But hey, if it flies - GREAT!!! :)
Nitro is way safer than Lipos!
Smelly noisy things are great 😜

We are really luck at our site it's miles from anywhere.
A pulsejet might just be ok 😁

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Nitro is way safer than Lipos!
Smelly noisy things are great 😜

We are really luck at our site it's miles from anywhere.
A pulsejet might just be ok 😁

Maybe so. I just don't like the mess and fuel spills, and I like to fly at dawn, because nobody else is at the field. :)

Webdragon

congrats on the flight, will have to be adding it to my build list for sure now.
also i am happy to say the nitro barons maiden went good as well i got 3 good flights in before packing it up for the day. no damage just a short list of tweaks needed.

JennyC6

Elite member
At this point I think we need to start working on a community resource for nitro powering various FT birds. What engines work in what planes, how to mount them where they don't vibrate the motor mount off, techniques to protect the foamboard from raw fuel spills, ventilation concerns, et-cetera.

That glow Blender flies like a dream!

Rossimoto

Now there's a plan!
I'll post some details of my engine mount that incorporates the throttle servo and fuel tank .
It's the width of a power pod so will fit most FT planes, and made out of plywood.

Thanks 😀 it's a bit of a handful that plane ! You can't see how busy my thumb's are 😄

JennyC6

Elite member
I made some engine mounts out of balsa strips for my two FT birds as well. On my Spear, I hotglued two strips on either side of the firewall and used woodscrews to mount the engines on, screws long enough to bite into both strips. On my Mini Sportster I used another one of these strips, got some blind nuts, bolted the engine to that and then glued, screwed, tatoo'd that strip in. Throttle servos on the Spear are mounted on the main spar and connected with fairly long, but laser straight, rods, and the Mini Sportster's throttle servo is superglued to the fuse side of the motor mount and connected with a very short link.

IMG_20190604_154644.jpg

IMG_20190604_154639.jpg

IMG_20190604_154812.jpg

Rossimoto

Are those wee Cox engines with carbs ?

I slapped a Cox 049 on an FT Fogey for free flight a few years ago 😆
Truly awesome deafening motors 😄😄😄

JennyC6

Elite member
Are those wee Cox engines with carbs ?

Sort of.

They still use the standard mixer that all tankless SureStart 0.049s use, and in fact, can be run quite readily as such an engine by merely removing the choke tube. The throttle does, however, work reasonably well. Not as well as a true carb but they will idle down, they will throttle reasonably well over a decent range...you can fly them like pretty much any other R/C engine, with the only exception being that they need to clear their throats a bit more often if run at low power/idle power.

You can get them brand new from Cox International, at coxengines.ca. That's where I got mine. And Bernie sells all the field gear and spares, too.
I slapped a Cox 049 on an FT Fogey for free flight a few years ago 😆
Truly awesome deafening motors 😄😄😄

Hehe, I love 'em. And they run amazingly well for how small they are, too. I'm prolly gonna be buying an FT Commuter here soon; I think it's a PERFECT plane to put one of these throttleable SureStarts on. Swing a 5x3 3-blade at ~15k, pull it around quite smartly. Prolly mount the engine sideways so's I can do FPV without getting the camera lens covered in castor schmoo, which is also why I did an inverted mount on the Mini Sportster.

JennyC6

Elite member
wow, although they are a bit old and look a bit problematic, I still want to try it.
They're only problematic if you let them get problematic. Get a good quality engine, feed it quality consumables, tune it properly, and the bloomin' thing's more reliable than brushless. The only problem I have out of my OS 46AX is that it likes to start backwards! Once I get it kicked in the correct direction it's like a swiss watch. And my >30 year old OS 40FP, which I got completely siezed up, doesn't even have that quirk!

Give it a try. There's nothing quite like it. And you get better runtimes too.