Nitro to Gas Conversion FT Power Pack C

Wilk77

Good morning, All

I was recently given a little nitro plane that I would like to convert to electric. I currently have a power pack C motor and would like to know what size glow engine it is comparable to. Trying to get an airplane together for a student of mine that has become interested in RC aviation, and would like to use things laying around the hangar not i use.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....I currently have a power pack C motor and would like to know what size glow engine it is comparable to.....
The size of motor depends on how you want to fly. Here are some guidelines that may help. It’s the total flying weight of the plane that you need, including motor and battery. Use the all up weight of the plane in the air.

• 50 to 70 watts per pound is the minimum level of power, good for park flyers and lightly loaded slow flyers.
•70 to 90 watts per pound is perfect for trainers and slow-flying aircraft.
•90 to 110 watts per pound is good for fast-flying scale models and some sport aerobatic aircraft.
•110 to 130 watts per pound is what you want for advanced aerobatics and high-speed aircraft.
•130 to 150 watts per pound is needed for lightly loaded 3D models and ducted fans.
•150 to 210+ watts per pound gives unlimited performance for any 3D model.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Good morning, All

I was recently given a little nitro plane that I would like to convert to electric. I currently have a power pack C motor and would like to know what size glow engine it is comparable to. Trying to get an airplane together for a student of mine that has become interested in RC aviation, and would like to use things laying around the hangar not i use.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
One of my favorite electric motors is a .15 size motor and it’s great for any plane that calls for a C pack. It puts out quite a bit more power than a C pack, so I would assume that a standard C pack puts out roughly the same amount of power as a .10 size nitro motor.

Wilk77

One of my favorite electric motors is a .15 size motor and it’s great for any plane that calls for a C pack. It puts out quite a bit more power than a C pack, so I would assume that a standard C pack puts out roughly the same amount of power as a .10 size nitro motor.
Thank you !! I really appreciate the info.

Wilk77

The size of motor depends on how you want to fly. Here are some guidelines that may help. It’s the total flying weight of the plane that you need, including motor and battery. Use the all up weight of the plane in the air.

• 50 to 70 watts per pound is the minimum level of power, good for park flyers and lightly loaded slow flyers.
•70 to 90 watts per pound is perfect for trainers and slow-flying aircraft.
•90 to 110 watts per pound is good for fast-flying scale models and some sport aerobatic aircraft.
•110 to 130 watts per pound is what you want for advanced aerobatics and high-speed aircraft.
•130 to 150 watts per pound is needed for lightly loaded 3D models and ducted fans.
•150 to 210+ watts per pound gives unlimited performance for any 3D model.

Thank you !! I really appreciate the info.