nnChipmunk Swappable - design, build, and review log

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
So, I decided to man up a bit and just go for it. All of the bits are cut out and subassemblies put together. I'm particularily proud of my wing. Even did that fancy airfoil shaping of the foamboard with a hot iron :) .It, the power pod and fuselage are ready to all be joined, but I'm having a tough time with imagining how I'll be accessing the battery. Do you guys pop the whole power pod out of the body to connect the lipo? DIY'd a hatch underneath the posterboard or something?

It would be great if those of you who still have a flying Chipmunk 1.1 to take some pics of your setup. I'd be really curious to see before i commit and join all of that with the hot glue.

Thanks!

Check out how the hatch is done on v2 plans and it will give you an idea how to modify yours.

check out this post and the one right after.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
So, I decided to man up a bit and just go for it. All of the bits are cut out and subassemblies put together. I'm particularily proud of my wing. Even did that fancy airfoil shaping of the foamboard with a hot iron :) .It, the power pod and fuselage are ready to all be joined, but I'm having a tough time with imagining how I'll be accessing the battery. Do you guys pop the whole power pod out of the body to connect the lipo? DIY'd a hatch underneath the posterboard or something?

It would be great if those of you who still have a flying Chipmunk 1.1 to take some pics of your setup. I'd be really curious to see before i commit and join all of that with the hot glue.

Thanks!

How did your build come out? v1, like most of my older designs, had issues with battery accessibility. I never pulled my pod out but I did cut a hole out of the fuse top plate just under the canopy. This let me get to the battery but definitely wasn't a good solution. The hatch design that I use in all my current builds really takes electronics management to the next level.

WermCan

Hey Nic! It's not quite done yet. I've got a couple hours every week or so to devote to this, and have been taking my time to make sure I work through all of the various bits correctly. I did however manage to complete the major elements, and as soon as I deal with the painting (only the black left), I'll only have to glue the tail assembly on the plane and attach the gear. Everything else is good to go. Power pod, servos, everything. Check it out!

http://imgur.com/a/6tESQ

I'll hopefully maiden that in a couple more weeks. We'll see how far I get!

Has anyone else experienced this thing to be pretty tail heavy? With all of the electronics as far forward as they'd go, including a 3s 950mah battery, it's still rear of the marks by a fair bit. I'll have to jam some noseweight in there.

Lastly, I'll be using this kit to power the chipmunk. I had it on my mini mustang, and that thing has near unlimited vertical with a 3s and 8x4 prop. I have my fingers crossed that it does well with the chipmunk, but it's pushing 600 grams, without the gears, and without the potentially necessary nose weight :( Thoughts?

Last edited:

WermCan

Hey guys, I lied. This is the kit instead.

It's pretty much done. Need to put some noseweight in, but otherwise just waiting for not working overtime and calm winds! The 2208-17 that's in it will probably be ok, but will likely feel more scale than acrobatic. We'll see.

jaredstrees

Just finished her up! Motor has been added as well as landing gear. I'll post the most recent pic when I get a chance. Thanks Nic for the great plans and great flying plane! Here she is ready to receive the heads up 450!

chipmunk.JPG