nnChipmunk Swappable - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

DETAILS

Maiden flight
Turnigy D3530/14 1100kv 3S

80+ MPH NTM 35-48 1100kv 4S

The design and build process of my nnBucker Bu 180 and nnMoth Minor went really well. Starting from just images of a plane, creating plans, and then fine tuning the build has really brought a new level of satisfaction to the hobby for me. I have always loved working with graphic design and have been a photoshop user for many years so this brings both of these opposite worlds together. I have built up a little backlog for myself of planes I'd like to make and the Chipmunk just happened to get its name pulled from my hat next.

0806022_6.jpg

16347.jpg

normal_Chipmunk.gif

If you like this design then perhaps you’ll like some of my others as well.

FAQ

Will this plane work with the standard FT powerpod and electronics?
Yes. The Beef package/park 425 or greater will work just fine. I will be testing a few different set ups and will note how each performs.

Will the plans be available for free so I can build one too?
Yes.

SPECS

WINGSPAN
FUSE
30in
CHANNELS
WEIGHT
Airframe - 270g
AUW - 620g
ELECTRONICS
MOTOR - Turnigy D3530/14 1100kv 73g 315w 22a
PROP - 9x6 APC
ESC - HobbyKing Blue 30a
BATTERY - 2000mah 3S
SERVOS - 4x HobbyKing 9g
BUILD DIFFICULTY
Intermediate
MATERIALS
TBD

PLANS

nnChipmunk
VERSION 1.1
December 12th 2014
Change log
--Added Super Chipmunk options
--Increased size of aileron and elevator tips for increased durability

VERSION 1
September 4th 2014
Change log
-Fuse
--Increased size of wing cut out
--Added elevator control mechanism
--Changed tail 'step up' section
--Added BBQ spar to horizontal stabilizer

-Wing
--Added CG mark

-Poster board
--Made tail grove wider
--Increased size of cockpit cutout in tail poster
--Reduced height of cockpit
--Squared off end of winglet

BETA 2
August 30th 2014
Change log
-Fuse
--Added fuse crease lines
--Added remove paper from belly - tail section
--Lengthen belly tail section
--Trimmed rudder notch for elevator movement
--Notched cockpit former 3
--Lengthened vertical stab
--Added former 4 to support vertical stab/poster board
--Added center line to belly
--Added paper and foam removal section in belly for wing
--Added power pod holes

-Wing
--Add dihedral
--Add dihedral gauge - 10cm

-Poster board
--Added nose poster
--Added tail poster
--Added wing groove poster
--Added cockpit

BETA 1
August 28th 2014
Change log
--NA

BUILD LOG

August 28th 2014
Plans printed and taped.
QpGkrxjl.jpg

L7zIa7Sl.jpg

Pieces all cut out.
Sa4JDDil.jpg

Aluminum spar installed. I will be testing a wide range of motors with the nnChipmunk so the wing must be very strong. I'm going to try and get this thing up over 80mph and see how she handles.
duK2Qkel.jpg

hGzhgOKl.jpg

iPSkovnl.jpg

Wing all put together.
HTWIRlrl.jpg

I added a BBQ skewer to the wing tip for added strength.
CAjgtJkl.jpg

Wing installed in fuse.
w58issjl.jpg

The build is going smooth so far!

August 31st 2014
Servos installed
mKjTuSKl.jpg

The poster board was not an easy task. Both designing and installing took a good deal of time. The end result is pretty clean, though. A clear cockpit can/should be used but I don't have any soda bottles right now. I will make a clear variant when I can.
ko3QINol.jpg

bWYYSGSl.jpg

The tail ridge was the hardest part to get right. It looks pretty slick overall, though. Also, the poster board winglet curve piece really adds a finished look to the design.
9tpiGr0l.jpg

So far I feel like I've really captured the lines and angles of the Chipmunk.
akKlUMCl.jpg

The poster board took a little tweaking to get right so I need to update the plans to allow for a hassle free build. I still need to figure out the best way to make the dual elevator surfaces work, I have some ideas that I'm going to play around with. Also the cockpit comes down a bit to far onto the sidewalls of the fuse. I'm going to trim it up a bit.

I am happy with how everything has turned out so far. The nnChipmunk is sure to turn some heads once she's all finished. :)

What do you guys think so far?

September 1st 2014
Build is all done, here are the final photos!

T5crdObl.jpg

udRphGnl.jpg

IoCGj7ql.jpg

3X2UUPPl.jpg

T8RLd3Vl.jpg

4YlhL5El.jpg

cEcirBZl.jpg

8obmzKUl.jpg

BgiaVp0l.jpg

3W8BPLhl.jpg

H1JYa4Sl.jpg

hVI1nmll.jpg

etnckQnl.jpg

qLMMKtxl.jpg

QzxBJoGl.jpg

zGqHZZsl.jpg

GKLUzSKl.jpg

REVIEW

WOW! The nnChipmunk is amazing. If you guys don't already know the FT Spitfire has been my favorite plane from the first time I flew it. I've made pretty much every possible size FT Spitfire and always have one ready to fly, and I recommend to everyone that they need to build one.

With that being said, know that I don't make the following claim lightly. The nnChipmunk is my new favorite plane. It has a huge speed envelope, just the right amount of floatiness, is very fun to fly, and just has a great feel to it all around. It is by far my best design to date and the nnBucker and nnMoth Minor are no slouches. After my maiden I put 8 more batteries through the nnChipmunk and I can't find anything bad to say about it.

Everyone should build one. You, guy reading this post right now, download the nnChipmunk plans and build one, you won't regret it!

Thanks for checking out the nnChipmunk! If you built a nnChipmunk and enjoyed it please consider donating a few bucks so I can buy more supplies to make more great planes.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Arrrgh, Nerdnic! Here I am innocently preparing to leave for college tomorrow, and you keep bombarding me with all these beautiful dehavillands!:p

In all seriousness though, these designs are turning out beautifully. Great work

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Nerdnic,
As usual, great work! I'm interested in trying my hand at designing a model. How do you get started on something like this?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Arrrgh, Nerdnic! Here I am innocently preparing to leave for college tomorrow, and you keep bombarding me with all these beautiful dehavillands!:p

In all seriousness though, these designs are turning out beautifully. Great work

Haha! I'm just helping you decide what your next builds will be over the holiday breaks coming up :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Last edited:

earthsciteach

Very cool subject! The Chipmunk is an iconic aerobatic plane that I don't see many models of lately.

I'm building my first "swappable" at the moment. Its turning out REALLY nicely (if I do say so myself). I'll be posting a build log, hopefully soon.

Jaxx - I started by looking at pictures and 3-views of the full scale plane and breaking it down into sections and unfolding in my head. Then, I used 3-view drawings at the full scale size of the model and, based on those, drew out the cut and fold lines using AutoCad. For my first attempt at unfolding an airplane in my brain, I'm pretty darned happy with the result, so far. Its a process of build, tweak, document on drawings, print a new part, build again, repeat if necessary. I'm having a great time with it!

Jaxx

Thanks, and that's a great question! Instead of trying to text it out I will shoot a video of part of the design process. It might turn out to be long.. But it will give you an idea of how each step works.

That would be awesome! I don't care how long the video is. It just means more detail. I would love to see a Mitsubishi A6M Zero that looks as good as your other designs.

Last edited:

Jaxx

Very cool subject! The Chipmunk is an iconic aerobatic plane that I don't see many models of lately.

I'm building my first "swappable" at the moment. Its turning out REALLY nicely (if I do say so myself). I'll be posting a build log, hopefully soon.

Jaxx - I started by looking at pictures and 3-views of the full scale plane and breaking it down into sections and unfolding in my head. Then, I used 3-view drawings at the full scale size of the model and, based on those, drew out the cut and fold lines using AutoCad. For my first attempt at unfolding an airplane in my brain, I'm pretty darned happy with the result, so far. Its a process of build, tweak, document on drawings, print a new part, build again, repeat if necessary. I'm having a great time with it!

Earthsciteach,
Thanks for the tips. I wish I had the skills to use AutoCad. I'm trying to learn SketchUp right now, but seriously considering taking some CAD classes at the local community college. Designing a model is the next step in this great hobby.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
If you're not careful, nerdnic, you're going to turn into me. Too many threads and projects started, and not a single one finished. :cool:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Oh man. If only I had a thread for all my projects.. Only the ones I decide to put the extra time into taking pictures and formatting posts get that special attention, haha.

The only project I can see myself not finishing anytime soon is my 200% spit. Which is a bummer because I really want to fly it. It's just so huge and awkward to work on..

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That would be awesome! I don't care how long the video is. I just means more detail. I would love to see a Mitsubishi A6M Zero that looks as good as your other designs.

I want to do a zero but I saw flyingpenguin mention an upcoming zero so I wanted to wait to see how that ones turns out. Should I just make my own anyway?

Jaxx

I want to do a zero but I saw flyingpenguin mention an upcoming zero so I wanted to wait to see how that ones turns out. Should I just make my own anyway?

Yes! It can't hurt to have options. Swappable Zero. That's the beauty about scratch building!

Last edited:

nagromnewo

He's here too!

It's this what they call CBD (compulsive building disorder)?

:D

Another beautiful DH. Want to shoot for a twin? How about a twin Otter? Would be really cool to have a model of a plane I've actually flown in!

Owen

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
He's here too!

It's this what they call CBD (compulsive building disorder)?

:D

Another beautiful DH. Want to shoot for a twin? How about a twin Otter? Would be really cool to have a model of a plane I've actually flown in!

Owen

Haha, and I'm not stopping anytime soon!

A twin would be fun! I don't have a pair of motor/escs right now but once I do I'll take a look at this one.