nnChipmunk v2

Verris

I only had a chance to cut out one wing last weekend before I was out of town for the week. I'm still working on my needle cutter and just made a big modification to it. Unfortunately I was a little too deep with my score cuts and almost went through the wing entirely in a few places. I could just reinforce it with tape but I think I'll cut another instead with better depths.

IMG_20170326_212804.jpg IMG_20170326_212815.jpg

Started with the easy sheet, these are the three I have laid out to cut.

cm1.png cm2.png cm3.png

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Finally got back to work on mine last night. I printed off the plans for the super chip tail and got all the pieces cut and glued up. All that's left is the finishing work and paint. I'm not exactly plentiful in packing space for FTFF this year, but I might try to squeeze the SC into the lineup. IDK at this point, as it would likely mean sacrificing another plane.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Got a good dozen or more flights in now with the 2200 3s and 10x7 prop. Discovered I had the CG a little forward of the CG indicator which was ok for initial flights. Moved it aft to the CG indicator and I could tell the difference. It zips right along with this setup! Getting pretty level flight at different speeds trimmed with a little up elevator. Nice plane! Impressive what you can do with foam board today.

Ray

Very nice! Glad to hear it's flying solid for you. I really love the way this plane feels in the air!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I only had a chance to cut out one wing last weekend before I was out of town for the week. I'm still working on my needle cutter and just made a big modification to it. Unfortunately I was a little too deep with my score cuts and almost went through the wing entirely in a few places. I could just reinforce it with tape but I think I'll cut another instead with better depths.

View attachment 84855 View attachment 84856

Started with the easy sheet, these are the three I have laid out to cut.

View attachment 84857 View attachment 84858 View attachment 84859

How did your build come out? The needle cutter is a super cool way to get these foam planes cut. About how long does it take per sheet?

Finally got back to work on mine last night. I printed off the plans for the super chip tail and got all the pieces cut and glued up. All that's left is the finishing work and paint. I'm not exactly plentiful in packing space for FTFF this year, but I might try to squeeze the SC into the lineup. IDK at this point, as it would likely mean sacrificing another plane.

Keegn did your chip ever get completed?

ToddMerrill

Finished mine! Fantastic aircraft ~ thanks Nic!

Finished my nnChipmunk v2 last weekend and had an awesome maiden flight. Nic, thank you for pushing the boundaries of DTFB. Really have learned a lot from all your posts, your website and your design. Here's some pics and a video.
chipmunk_front.jpg
chipmunk_side.jpg
chipmunk_weight.jpg

https://youtu.be/uPyqVj_jSPM

Hell2Go

Really nice job on your chipmunk, I love using yellow on airplanes, they just glow when the sun hits them... I think I'll be building one this winter

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
urzu, I am working on a project (Rascal CNC) that will allow me to make kits in house. I hope to have production up again in the next few months.

urzu

I downloaded the plans from the g-drive to build on my own but It looks like part of the plans are missing. The regular wing & the speed wing are in the plans but its only the Left wing.

Or am I missing something?:confused:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I downloaded the plans from the g-drive to build on my own but It looks like part of the plans are missing. The regular wing & the speed wing are in the plans but its only the Left wing.

Or am I missing something?:confused:

You just need to print it "mirrored" to get the other wing.

urzu

First flight didn't go well... kind of twitchy was trying to trim it out and clipped a tree branch then nose dived.

I had to move the battery all the way forward to get it close to CG and it still was a little tail heavy. The entire flight I had to keep giving up elevator even after max trim

Time to fix it I guess

315iert.jpg

Last edited:

andrej

Can I use for the spar carbon rod? The wing will be flat, no dihedral. Flight characteristics will not strongly change?

andrej

On plans speedwing two green lines from above and from below a cut on a servo. To these lines it is necessary to glue small foam spar?
Sorry for my english )

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Glue bbq skewers/carbon rods on those lines. The smaller foam spar goes outboard of the servo and should be inline with the bigger foam spar.

andrej

Just maidened my chipmunk today. Flies pretty well its calm now. It has a light motor motor I think about 120W and 3S 1000 battery. Weight I bealive about 400gr. On full throttle flies too not really fast. imho the rudder is not effective.I thought it would be maneuverable and fast as a mig-3, but the chipmunk seemed more like a glider to me.