nnChuckStang

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Printed one at 75%, going to try to put an 1106 on it. Not sure what’ll happen, but it should be fun. Also building my second mini mustang with a 2205, so I can compare them.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Using 5 gram emax servos and probably a 2s 800mah lipo as that is the smallest battery I have. If I get really adventurous I might try a 650 3s. Would probably be to much weight as the wingspan is only a little over 18inches. Have to make it from the black dtfb as the local dt didn’t have the good stuff. I also have Ross foamboard but it is to flexible for single layer wings. As long as I use a bec I don’t have to use the flight controller with the 1106 right? I have a power pack h and would like to use the motors separately on different planes. (Will post pictures sometime today or tomorrow) by the way, your sonic series p-39 is awesome on 3s and a 2205:p

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Here are some pics. Bottom two are side by side comparison with your micro f-86. This thing is tiny!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That looks so good! Nice work. And side note, your F-86 came out great. Did you ever fly it?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Thanks! I have decided that although the black foamboard has been upgraded (paper doesn’t delaminates as badly, still not as good as white though) it comes out looking bad as the glue strings are more visible than on white. Also the f-86 doesn’t look as good in person, had some trouble (my fault) with getting the fuselage the right width where it meets the wing. Haven’t flown it yet because those tiny edfs are expensive, might put an 1106 on it soon;)

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Done! Needs a maiden, but it’s dark now. Might not get to maiden it this week because it’s been so windy. Hopefully tomorrow will give us a break and get this maidened.
image.jpg image.jpg
110 grams with 800 2s, 120grams with 600 3s.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Pretty windy today, gonna try a maiden anyways. (Sorry to hijack the thread, but figured it wasn’t worth a new thread just for this). Will report back soon with results.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Rebuilding;). Looked promising but had the rates to high, you can guess the rest. Turns out the black foamboard still delaminates badly, wing came loose due to paper coming off. Rebuilding now with the white foamboard.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
IT FLEW! Horribly, but still. Either it had some extreme adverse yaw due to inboard ailerons, or it was really tail heavy (don’t think it was). But it was extremely hard to control in the roll axis. Not that it was touchy, but it acted like it had a bad rudder Input when I gave it aileron. Gonna give it another go with the 100% plans. Will have an update later this week.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Try to go with ail further out in the wing. Also, cg will need to be moved forward a little since you’re doing powered flight.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I messed with the cg and got it quite a bit further forward than it should be for the glider, helped but still didn’t fly well. I will have to figure out a way to use one servo with both ailerons.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm embarrassed how long it took me to realize this, but a nickel and quarter weigh almost the same amount. That means you can use nickels as nose weight instead of quarters. :ROFLMAO:

I'll update the plans to reflect this soon.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I messed with the cg and got it quite a bit further forward than it should be for the glider, helped but still didn’t fly well. I will have to figure out a way to use one servo with both ailerons.

See here. Mid7night demonstrates the one aileron servo setup with his Baby Bugatti. Back in the day, before servos were commoditized and were still expensive, virtually all planes used a single aileron servo.

Last edited:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
See here. Mid7night demonstrates the one aileron setup with his Baby Bugatti. Back in the day, before servos were commoditized and were still expensive, virtually all planes used a single aileron.
I know it’s easily possible, but I didn’t want to take the time( and I paid for it), but this build( among others) has been scrapped for the servos.

Seahawk

I love these forums! Gonna do a after school STEM workshop at my kids school and needed a quick design with one days notice. This thread just saved my bacon...thanks all!

Seahawk

Share pictures!
I most certainly will. I will have one of my kids there, and ask them to be the official photographer. Go guarantee on the picture quality though, they tend to cover the pictures with their thumbs a lot. :)

Seriously though, I will upload as soon a I get a chance, and thanks for the effort that you put into this.

Seahawk

So I did the first of the STEM workshops today and it went well. Didn't get to build the gliders, today but will do so next week when we get together. With the help of my kids we managed to get 7 kits traced and cut out for the class, in one nights time. I have some great kids!

I promised pics, and although I don't have build pics yet I thought I would share some of the kids helping me cut them out. Enjoy!!

20190924_193130[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20190924_191730[1].jpg
    20190924_191730[1].jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 0