nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Just finnished gluing my wing up with minimal glue burns. Looks awesome! My shop is at my Dad's and i keep forgetting to copy my pics off my Dad's camera so i can show you. The packing tape looks good, i think you'll like it. I really like the design so far, great work Nic, thankyou.

Glad to hear it's coming along nicely!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Heys guys i know it dosent belong on this thred but figured i give nic a good cheap plane storage idea. Using old warp foam boards glued two together and some skewers in the legs. Then make a box frame. I hung up 6 of my planes last night for less then 3$ and a hour and a half of my time. They hold up like champs View attachment 32335 had to come up with something i live in a apartment right now and got kicked out of the to be soon baby girl room

Well at least you get a sneak peek of my almost finished second mig3 lol;)

Oh nice, I like this. I wonder if my wife will go for this set up :D

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
finally finished the paint work on mig3 #2 hopin for a flight in the AM CAM00514.jpg CAM00515.jpg

jayz 84

Duuuuuuude! That came out way good! Very nice!

Thanks man. Ya shes lookin pretty good. I had a nice 2in spinner for it but desided to leave it out cause i allready have the power pod pushed back a half inch for looks and easy cg balance that ef-1 motor has a big enough spinner on it lol

Last edited:

jayz 84

Going to try later today. Its been a very windy day and this is my first day off in two weeks so its become a family out day. Ill be sure to update no worries about that

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
One suggestion, go easy on the elevator throw. I discovered the same stall issue we see on the 800 mustang.

jayz 84

One suggestion, go easy on the elevator throw. I discovered the same stall issue we see on the 800 mustang.

Ya i had my setting pretty low on the last one. And ill keep them the same for the first few flights till im use to her thanks for reminding me tho. Did you find any bad tendencies during hard core flights

jayz 84

Well i took her out man and i tell you what this plane is still on top for me. Its just a beast! And with that EF-1 motor on it just wow. Sounds awesome and tracks like a pylon racer. Going to try a video on my next big outting at the field

JohnRambozo

Well i took her out man and i tell you what this plane is still on top for me. Its just a beast! And with that EF-1 motor on it just wow. Sounds awesome and tracks like a pylon racer. Going to try a video on my next big outting at the field

I really need to build one of these. Let me hurry up and crash a plane to make room and free up some servos.

jayz 84

I really need to build one of these. Let me hurry up and crash a plane to make room and free up some servos.

Lmao to funny man. Ya its a awesome plane. You should build one. I finish the beta build for simple wing for the mig3 just waiting for nic to finish the fuse mod for it. But you have the choice of that wing to very soon..

Hell2Go

mig wing half.jpg mig inside wing.jpg mig wing bottom.jpg mig wing top.jpg
Here is what I have so far. Found a motor on Banggood.com, a sunnysky 2216 1250kv thats rated @ 1520gr. of thrust. seen some pretty good reviews on them, can't wait to try them out. Also bought a DYS 2217 1500kv to compare to the same size Suppo I bought in the spring. Then I'll do reviews on them all.

Attachments

• mig wing half resized.jpg
    mig wing half resized.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

jayz 84

Hell2Go

It's definitely tape.. But how many wings did he make? Where did the red one go?

I made one wing, red on the bottom and clrear on the top. I'm planning to make it look like yours on top with the red stars an arrow... looked cool...I like the solid red on bottom to tell which way is up.

I got colored wing tape from hobbyking ($1.79 a roll) and clear packing tape from biglots ($1.25 for scotch brand)

The tape really adds durability... I"ve tried light painting, and minwaxing, but prefer taping. Ed @ Experimental Airlines on Flitetest has some videos on taping the entire sheet, but I find it better to cut out my parts and crease the fold lines first then flatten it back out and tape the outside. I'm gonna start folding the tape around the edges too from now on so I don't have any exposed edges. the glue sticks incredibly well to the glossy tape surface.

Hell2Go

If you look at my profile pic you'll see that I have a few plane builds under my belt, that is only some of my builds from the past 2 years... There are just as many built up balsa / nitro planes at the other end of the shop.

I've done durablility testing on the tape technique at Flitefest (by accident) with my FT Flyer. As I was running out of planes to fly do to mechanical failures, I had to put my turnigy 2826-2200kv speed plane motor on my beloved FT Flyer with a 4s and a 6x4 prop for something to fly. While doing rolls at a rate of 4-5 rolls per second, my wings (yes, front and rear wings bent slightly causing loss of control. Since I was in the middle of a high speed low (10 ft) pass while rolling, there was no time to recover... 65mph to zero in 1 second as it piled into the ground in pieces... upon further investgation I found that the glue joints all popped on impact releasing the energy of the crash. I used a monokote iron set to low to gently flatten out the bends then press a steel ruler on it to cool and flatten my parts. I glued it all back together and it is stronger than it was previously. It flies great again!