nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Very interesting design. I think I like the way they did the bottom plate... I wonder if that would work with DTFB.

That's actually the style of building that Robin used for the stunning Gee Bee Z40. I would say its in the advanced skill range, but its a perfectly acceptable way to make an R/C plane with a scale look. I pulled paper off of both sides of some DTFB. It bends nicely and even holds its shape. So I think it could be used to make a smooth shaped fuse. Of course you'd need some kind of internal structure to support it.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
You are nuts! What is your speed goal? And what motor do you want to use?

Well my 800mm Spit does 115mph using the NTM 35-36 1800kv on 4S and 7x7 prop. With the NTM 35-48 1100kv on 4S and a 10x10 apc I can hit 90s on my swappables. So I'd like to break 100 with the MIG 3, but I'm not sure what motor is gonna give me that just yet. 125 would be the goal I'm shooting for, though. I might have to wait for my DH-88 to finish before I'll get those speeds, though :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nic,

Have you ever though about designing a dual EDF A-10? You crank out these designs at a ridiculous pace. I'm just blown away by how fast you go from 3-view to maiden.

Heh, it takes a good 3-4 hours to fully complete the plans and then an evening to build/debug the first version so it goes pretty quick. I can only dedicate 3 evenings a week to planes after work, so that's why there are random gaps/delays in my updating.

I have thought about a A-10 and I'd love to build one but I don't have two EDFs or the funds right now to get them :-( so for now, it's not on the drawing board but I will most likely get to it at some point in the future.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That's actually the style of building that Robin used for the stunning Gee Bee Z40. I would say its in the advanced skill range, but its a perfectly acceptable way to make an R/C plane with a scale look. I pulled paper off of both sides of some DTFB. It bends nicely and even holds its shape. So I think it could be used to make a smooth shaped fuse. Of course you'd need some kind of internal structure to support it.

Okay I'm gonna look into this then, I think I'll experiment with it on the nnMIG 3.

jayz 84

Ah who needs EDFs pusher props are faster lighter and mucher more efficient. You can put the motir in the tail or make it big enough where you can stick to pods in each nucleus. EDFs are not bad for the look and sound but for over all power/acceleration suck unless you give them so much power but then get heavy and burn threw batterys like nothing

Corbarrad

Ah who needs EDFs pusher props are faster lighter and mucher more efficient. You can put the motir in the tail or make it big enough where you can stick to pods in each nucleus. EDFs are not bad for the look and sound but for over all power/acceleration suck unless you give them so much power but then get heavy and burn threw batterys like nothing

I'm a big fan of the A10, as I'm sure many here are. Sadly I don't have an actual sanctioned flying field tocall home, so I depend on the good graces of the farmers who allow me to use their fields an meadows to fly over. This pretty much precludes me from using edfs or pusher props because of the noise they make. The farmer might not care, but his neighbour or a local hunter might and there's no doubt about who gets priority every time.
On the other hand I've seen edfs getting a lot more efficient since I got back into the hobby, maybe at some point in the tuture they'll be able to bring the revs way down while maintaining thrust. Adding more hladed to the rotor seems to be a step in the right direction. maybe we'll start seeing multi-stage setups next...

jayz 84

Its all possible but the your talking about much larger edf motors to achieve this. The smaller they get the more power they need to generate enough thrust for such a small fan. Theyll never not be loud or power hungery. I quit using edf cause of this. One of my co workers just loves edf and buys the best you can get but i can use less power. On a prop setup and still scream past him. But hey if you do like the A10 you can set it up as a parkflyer with two small prop motors facing fwd in the nucleus not loud at all

Corbarrad

Its all possible but the your talking about much larger edf motors to achieve this. The smaller they get the more power they need to generate enough thrust for such a small fan. Theyll never not be loud or power hungery. I quit using edf cause of this. One of my co workers just loves edf and buys the best you can get but i can use less power. On a prop setup and still scream past him. But hey if you do like the A10 you can set it up as a parkflyer with two small prop motors facing fwd in the nucleus not loud at all

Putting props inside the nacelles will just make them inefficient edfs, won't it?
In front of the nacelles I expect to see similar noise levels as for a prop in slot setup.
There was a vid last year that showed a eurofighter with folding props put onto drop tanks, so that got me thinking...
Whether I'd go with drop tanks myself (swappable drop tank propulsion units anyone?) or thy to incorporate the engines into the wheel fairings remains to be decided.

I don't want to drail the thread any more than I alrady did, though, nns work is awesome as always and deserves undivided attention at lesst within is own thread. Also, the A10 project is fourth in line at best, currently. I have to prioritize at some point or my nack of multitasking ability will doom all my projects to remain pipe dreams forever.

T-Richard

Wow, love what you're doing nerdnic. Out of your first 3 designs, which is your favorite to fly? Do you find each build is progressively better than the last?

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Well my 800mm Spit does 115mph using the NTM 35-36 1800kv on 4S and 7x7 prop. With the NTM 35-48 1100kv on 4S and a 10x10 apc I can hit 90s on my swappables. So I'd like to break 100 with the MIG 3, but I'm not sure what motor is gonna give me that just yet. 125 would be the goal I'm shooting for, though. I might have to wait for my DH-88 to finish before I'll get those speeds, though :)

I think the Grayson Hobby Monster Jet might do the trick.

jayz 84

Christopher14 that would be a great motor but you would have to put it in a 800mm plane to see close to that speed. Its not enough motor or prop for the full size to much drag

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Wow, love what you're doing nerdnic. Out of your first 3 designs, which is your favorite to fly? Do you find each build is progressively better than the last?

Thanks man!

My favorite is the nnChipmunk by a long shot, but the others still fly great. nnMoth Minor is great at slow fly/gliding and then the nnBucker is really acrobatic.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks for the input about the A-10, guys. I am strongly considering this one now and I'll let you know soon if I can make it happen.

I will be working on the nnMIG 3 plans over the next few days and should have beta 1 done by weeks end. Maybe even build details this weekend!

jayz 84

Which motor did you deside for the mig 3 nerdnic.im kinda wanting to start some full size planes and keep the 100mph+ speeds and not build so may 800mm dont get me wrong i love them to death and easy to transport

jayz 84

Thanks for the input about the A-10, guys. I am strongly considering this one now and I'll let you know soon if I can make it happen.

I will be working on the nnMIG 3 plans over the next few days and should have beta 1 done by weeks end. Maybe even build details this weekend!

Thats great to hear i got all my stuff ready waiting to build it in 800mm size. Im gonna put my A10 build off till i see if you come up with something. Im in the middle of getting the rare bear done any way. Its got a 34in wing span on in but im prob gonna have to stick the 3548 with a10x10 on it to get enough air past the cowl. Keep up the awesome work man. cant wait to see that mig

JohnRambozo

That reminds me. I had an idea for an FT challenge. 3-view to Maiden - Design and Build Race. I feel like you would surely win. :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Which motor did you deside for the mig 3 nerdnic.im kinda wanting to start some full size planes and keep the 100mph+ speeds and not build so may 800mm dont get me wrong i love them to death and easy to transport

I am going to try a Tacon 10 1100kv motor. This is the motor the guys flying the 40inch FMS Strega and Vodoos use at over 125mph. It should run about 1100 watts on 4S with a 10x10. The Strega is over 1500g at flying weight so the nnMIG 3 at around 1000g should haul.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thats great to hear i got all my stuff ready waiting to build it in 800mm size. Im gonna put my A10 build off till i see if you come up with something. Im in the middle of getting the rare bear done any way. Its got a 34in wing span on in but im prob gonna have to stick the 3548 with a10x10 on it to get enough air past the cowl. Keep up the awesome work man. cant wait to see that mig

Okay it's official, I will be designing an A-10! I plan to finish the nnMIG 3 and then get started. I am really excited for the challenges this design will bring.

But to bring this back on topic - I think I'm going to use a different wing design for the MIG. I'm thinking about removing the under camber, a clean trailing edge, and adding an a airfoil to the bottom of the wing.

Thoughts?