nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

Hell2Go

Printing out the plans tonite, then i just need to find time to get into the shop and build it. I'll have to check home depot for the aluminum spar material and need to order a motor combo.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Hey NIC just so you know im going to help everyone and you out here sence im building #2. Im going to do a step by step with pix on the speed wing build up. Sence its the advance part of the build

Hell2Go

Thanks jayz, I can build but your pics will be a welcome gift! Its better to see what i need to do than to guess... have I mentioned that you're AWESOME!!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hey NIC just so you know im going to help everyone and you out here sence im building #2. Im going to do a step by step with pix on the speed wing build up. Sence its the advance part of the build

No that's what I'm talking about! Thanks man! That will be a huge help until I can get my build video shot.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Sorry jayz, i think that has happened to us all, or will... nic, i just recently found your articles and am glad i did... thankyou for all you do, i wish you weren't so far away, i'd love to hang with you and design and build some planes together, were you at flite fest, i was the guy with the black stealth speedy ft flyer. Josh flew it and liked it so much he hugged me! That was a great honor for me. I'm planning to build your nnMig 3 for my next build. I'd love to see a build video or maybe even just a v2 tips video with any improvements, or special build instructions showing what you learned during and since the build that could make our builds go well. Thanks again and keep up the great work! -Ed

Thanks, Ed. I was not at FF but I hope to go next year. Good luck your build, a handful of nnMiG 3s have been built at this point and I don't have any immediate v2 changes planned so you should be good there. Let us know if you have any specific questions along the way but really the wing is the only intimidating part of the build. Everything else goes together very easy.

jayz 84

No that's what I'm talking about! Thanks man! That will be a huge help until I can get my build video shot.

Ok good. I figured id do this to help out cause i know the video is going to be alot of work and editing sence the wing done nice and right is going to take up to a good 2.5 hour or more from cut out to finish( yes guys the wing takes time and patience) to get it right. But the end result is so worth it

jayz 84

Mig3 #2 build- well i just finished the speed wing and i took a good amount of pix to help provide a step by step build of the speed wing for those who what to build one but dont know where to get started. Ill be posting the step by step here on nics thred very soon (just need time im doing all this on my phone) CAM00486.jpg

Hell2Go

Picked up my aluminum spar at ACE Hardware. They have it in 48" lengths and 96" also $4 and $8 respectively. are all your builds using the 24 in aluminum spar? also how much bend do I put in the ends for dihedral? you said the cuts are 14mm in from the ends but that seems like a typo... did you mean the dihedral is 14mm at the end of the spar? I have a turnigy 4240- 1300kv I was thinking I'd use for some extra power, think it would fit in the cowl? do I need to be light on the hot glue to keep weight down or is that unnecessary, I could use white craft glue that adds very little weight but I'm not sure if it would be as strong, or I could use epoxy, what do you think would be best? thanks for the advise :)

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Picked up my aluminum spar at ACE Hardware. They have it in 48" lengths and 96" also $4 and $8 respectively. are all your builds using the 24 in aluminum spar? also how much bend do I put in the ends for dihedral? you said the cuts are 14mm in from the ends but that seems like a typo... did you mean the dihedral is 14mm at the end of the spar? I have a turnigy 4240- 1300kv I was thinking I'd use for some extra power, think it would fit in the cowl? do I need to be light on the hot glue to keep weight down or is that unnecessary, I could use white craft glue that adds very little weight but I'm not sure if it would be as strong, or I could use epoxy, what do you think would be best? thanks for the advise :)

Hi there.

If my plane has just normal dihedral then I use an 18 inch spar, but if it has a different design like the nnMiG 3 where the bottom middle is flat then the spar will be custom for that design. So this spar will not work in any other plane.

For the spar, cut it 24 inches long and then measure from each end 14cm toward the center. This is where you're going to take a standard hacksaw with a standard blade and cut roughly halfway through the spar. Cut from the same side of the spar for both cuts as seen here.

7UKRWO8l.jpg

Once your cuts are done you'll see that the width of the blade has been cut out of the spar, you can now bend the spar until the cut gap closes. That's it for spar, nothing else is needed. The amount of bend that is put into the spar from you closing the cut gap is the exact amount of dihedral you need in the wing.

A 42-40 will fit in the cowl no problem, it will be a tight fit on your powerpod, though. For weight don't worry, you don't want to skimp on glue. The wing, even with the spar is still very thin and needs the glue to help keep it all stiff. I used hot glue and it works well, I can't comment on other glue types as I've not tried them.

Let me know if you have any other questions and enjoy the build :)

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Mig3 #2 build- well i just finished the speed wing and i took a good amount of pix to help provide a step by step build of the speed wing for those who what to build one but dont know where to get started. Ill be posting the step by step here on nics thred very soon (just need time im doing all this on my phone) View attachment 32013

Looks good man! Are you gonna be posting your step by step from your phone!? o.o

jayz 84

Looks good man! Are you gonna be posting your step by step from your phone!? o.o

Thanks nic. And most likely i will be ive done everything from my phone. Even tho i just got my computer back from being worked on/up graded so i might use it.

jayz 84

Ok guys im going to start the step by step speed wing build. Its going to be slow post do to my time being limited latly. ( been working 10-11hr a day 6days a week and i have three little ones) so work with me. Ill slowly post on the same post and editing as i go and nic might fill in any areas i might miss which then ill fix

JohnRambozo

Mig3 #2 build- well i just finished the speed wing and i took a good amount of pix to help provide a step by step build of the speed wing for those who what to build one but dont know where to get started. Ill be posting the step by step here on nics thred very soon (just need time im doing all this on my phone) View attachment 32013

I don't know if it would help you, but I upload all of my photos from my phone to imgur using the app "Imgupr." It gives the bb code to link the image in your post. Its a little tedious resizing on the imgur site, but the editing tools on the site are pretty nice. Especially the sharpen feature.

I'm looking forward to seeing it come together, jayz!

jayz 84

Ok guys get your plans cut out and traced out on your foam board. Then cut your wing prices out. CAM00466.jpg Now its going to be best to keep your wing plans out next to you to help guide you were parts go and where and your cut lines are

(Step 1)Now i found its best to go ahead at this point to start with your airfoil creases. (To help pervent unwanted creases in the wing later). Place a long ruler along each crease line. Place a light crease mark in each line then apply a light bend to create your airfoil bends.
(Step 2) Now that you have your airfoil creases done it time to move on to your beveled edges. (Nic) has your beveled end lines marked out on your plans be sure you have traced them on to you wing. Now i have a nice little trick to help from tearing. While you cutting or sanding your beveled edges. Now lightly score your beveled lines with your blade.(make sure you cut your aileron at this point too) once youve score your lines then peel the paper off for your beveles CAM00467.jpg
(Step 3) Now its time to cut your beveled edges. Me im good with a blade so i was able to do all of it that way. Or your can take a few heavy cuts then finish it with sand paper. Now! Take your time with this part. It took me a hour and a half to do both wings nicely. And you will make a mess by the way. This is a very important part to the slim wing so take your time. CAM00468.jpg
(Step 4) Now its time to do your cut outs on the servos, bbq skewer, and aluminum spar slots. Now cut your servo slots out only cutting all the way threw for the servo horn. Remove just the foam for the servo placement. Now for the bbq skewer id cut a little 45degree angle on each side of the line making a little slot just alittle thinner then your skewer now another trick take the tip of your hot glue gun and press it into the foam and pulling it the leanth of the slot this gives you a nice slot to glue your skewer in. Next your need to cut the slot for your spar. First do a 80% score then i used a pin tip to inlarge the hole slightly. Then take the tip of your spar and lightly run it threw the slot a few times to give a easy install. CAM00476.jpg
(Step 5) Now on your top section of your wing you want to cut out your dihedral slot lines and place a light crease in the bottom wing dihedral line. Now its time to glue in your servo into the bottom wing section.. Next your going to install your spar. Now its very hard to get glue in the spar slot and be able to install it before the glue dries so i dident do it on my second build. But if you want apply epoxy in the slot. Now install the spar making sure your dihedral spar cuts line up with the dihedral lines( your dihedral spar cuts are 14cm from the edges) after spar is installed then run a thin bead of glue along the leanth of the spar securing it inplace. Once secure then glue your foam spars(facing flat paper down) along side the aluminum spar CAM00477.jpg
(Step 6)Now its time to start building your airfoil. First make sure all your servo wire are ran .then your going to start with then inner wing sections. Now you need to perform a few dry fits first. Working the top wing spar slot into place be easy with it you might have to do a light pull back to get it into the slot sence this has a light airfoil on the bottom wing section. Now when your ready and sure apply a good amout of glue all threw the beveled leading edge and apply glue to the top of the foam spars. Now nicely but quickly set the wing in place. Now your not gluing the trailing edges at this time thats the last step CAM00478.jpg
(Step 7)Now it time to move onto the outter wing sections now first just like you did on your mid section do your dry fits but allso make sure your getting the top of your servo in the upper wing slot. But be easy now cause your servo might not fit just right in the cut out so lightly press down on the upper wing so the servo leaves any inprints on the inside upper wing. That will show you that you have that much more to trim out for a prefect fit. Now once you have that done then you ready to glue the outter wing down. Apply glue threw out the leading edge and on the servo and foam spars, lightly press in place let dry. CAM00480.jpg CAM00481.jpg
(Step 8) Now its time to do your trailing edges. Ok now you really want to take your time with this step cause you want to keep the trailing edge as center as possible and if your not carefully your going to get glue burns which if you dont your lucky..start at a wing tip and slowly work your way around a few inchs at a time or by wing section at a time. I left the fwd aileron section for last. Now slowly pump some glue in between the wing trail edge section. Lightly squeeze the two together letting the glue come out and wipe the excess away while its drying. Try to keep the ends as center as possible while drying.( You have alittle time to work it while the glue is drying) now keep slowly doing this process all the way around. Now when it come to the aileron section ur really going to have to take your time and work it and holding it in place while the glue drys. This is where your most likly to get glue burns. Once in place then its good to apply a light coat of glue scraped smooth on that edge and apply a thin layer of glue to your aileron to make your glue hinge CAM00483.jpg CAM00484.jpg
(Final step) Now that your wing is glued together its time to set and glue the dihedral. Set the wing on a flat surface.(Now this your going to have to preform only this way or youll mess the wing tip up just past the servo causing a light crease. ) Now place the outter wing section on your flat surface letting the rest of the wing hang off the tables edge Now placing one hand on the outter wing over top of the spar end and servo apply glue into the dihedral slot now place the other hand under the wing center. Now making sure you hold the outter wing down slowly and easy push up on the center section to create your dihedral now before the glue drys completely put the wing no to the table and stick a ruler next to the wing tip you want to be at 5cm on dihedral. Once there let dry then apply a thin layer of glue over that dhiedral slot to keep it strong.Now when you have both sides done the your complete and your can install it on your fuselage and set you control rods CAM00485.jpg CAM00486.jpg Now from start to finish a good wing build is going to take you at min 3.5 hour so be patient cause it worth it in the end. Any questions feel free to ask me or nic

Last edited:

jayz 84

Ok guys there you go the step by step as best as i could lay it out for you for now any ?s feel free to ask. I or nic would be glad to help

jayz 84

Hey jayz 84, when are you going to make a thread for the T-6 or rare bear?

The T-6 is on my list but on hold for awhile. The rare bear is coming soon now that i got my computer fixed and hopefully i can make plans instead of free hanging it like i was and running into walls. So im stating it over with around a 40ws insted of the 34in i was doing the rare bear is a really hard bird to turn into a swappable and trying to keep it scale with the center mounted motor having the spinner which makes the planes look is what makes it so hard cause then when trying to fit a pod the wing is right in the way so you have to lower the wing. But im working on it. Its one of my favorite plane.

Really thinking about making it a none swappable

Last edited: