nnP-38 - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I found this really cool flight characteristics video for the P-38. I've never flown a plane before and have little knowledge outside of what I've learned from RC planes but I watched and enjoyed every minute learning about this plane.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Okay guys, now that the nnA-10 is done I will be focusing on this one again. Let's just hope I can get it done faster, haha.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I found this really cool flight characteristics video for the P-38. I've never flown a plane before and have little knowledge outside of what I've learned from RC planes but I watched and enjoyed every minute learning about this plane.

These videos are the best. I can spend hours watching these and I love the dated feel of the acting and dialog.

saiga556

Full of...
This might have to be my first twin. I think I will reduce the size possibly and run it off of the two suppo 2217/7s I have looking for a home.

The A-10 looks great in the air by the way.

Hell2Go

I've been planning a new build for FPV, this would be a great plane for it. Just imagine flying this plane FPV with the camera on a gimbal and turning your view to look out over the prop spinning. How freakin' cool would that be? Might have to add a head tracking system to my FPV just for that reason! Can't wait. I can't build them as fast as you can design them, My FPV hat is off to you nnic.

Hell2Go

Think this will be a good motor to use on this plane?( http://www.banggood.com/DYS-BE2820-...-For-RC-Quadcopter-Multicopters-p-963985.html ) Has over 2100g thrust on a 9x6e with a 4s each... I have a smaller DYS motor and it is excellent quality with Japanese bearings and beastly for its size. The one I have is a( http://www.banggood.com/DYS-BE2217-1500KV-Brushless-Disc-Motor-For-RC-Models-p-941631.html ) I have the same size in a Suppo and the DYS beats the Suppo hands down!

Its a little cheaper than the Tacon and a little lighter. Do you know the thrust rating on the Tacon, I couldn't find any stats on it?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I think both of those motors will work very well. Do you have a goal in mind? I ask because you mention the Tacon set up as a comparison. The Tacon with a 10x10 on 4s will put out over 1000w each. It's going to be very, very, very fast and have amazing differential thrust power. All of this will be totally overkill and a beef size pair of motors will work exceptionally well, but hey, I like to push things :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
As far as FPV goes it would work just fine. You'd want lower KV motors swinging as big of props as you can, 10x will be the largest I'm accounting for in the plans.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I might just have to build one of these nic. Richard Bong (the ace of aces in WWII) flew a P-38 and was from Wisconsin. It's almost perfect!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Sorry for the lack of updates. I am still working on the first round of plans right now.

For the nnA-10 I had some beta build testers help me work out some of the build bugs (Thanks jayz!) If anyone might be interested in doing this with the p-38 please let me know.

rcguy1958

I'd like to give it a shot. I know I'm new here, but I've got quite a few builds under my belt and plenty of posts over on regroups.

Last edited:

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Sorry for the lack of updates. I am still working on the first round of plans right now.

For the nnA-10 I had some beta build testers help me work out some of the build bugs (Thanks jayz!) If anyone might be interested in doing this with the p-38 please let me know.

No problem man. I can help you with many more to come. I just dont have the room right now for the p-38 or duel matching motors for it

saiga556

Full of...
I'm down to slap those Suppos I've got in it. Only problem is I can't guarantee how fast I can build as I'm only a few days in to setting up a new house. I'll also have to place an order for some servos and perhaps I'll try out one of thode dsmx lemonrx rxs with the stabilization.