nnP-38 - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

DETAILS

Hi friends.

Working a full time job and raising a 1 year old keeps me pretty busy and I never know what kind of spare time I'll have during the week (read:late into the night) So I wanted to get what I have done posted so everyone can check it out and post any questions or comments they might have.

All my other builds have gone so well and have been received amazingly by you guys. Thank you to everyone who has built one of my designs, added feedback in one of the threads, or donated to help me buy more RC supplies. You guys make this all worth while, so thank you! I wanted to do something for you guys to give back a little and so I made a thread asking to Choose the next nnBuild

The results were clear - you guys wanted a P-38! I will be making this bird as scale as possible and hopefully it will be the best DTFB P-38 yet.

3 view p38 02.gif p-38-4-view-apr-1971-aam-1200x726.jpg

FAQ

Will the nnP-38 be swappable?
It will not be designed as a swappable but the booms are big enough to accommodate a PowerPod. Very little modification would be needed.

54in wingspan is HUGE, how am I supposed to convince my wife/parents/roommate to let me build this thing?
The wings on each side of the booms will be removable, leaving you with about 22.5x39.5 to work with.

Will you be making a nnSpeed wing?
UPDATE - I originally was not going to have a speed wing but have decided to now.

Differential thrust or rudder?
The plans will allow for both/either.

How many servos will I need?
Up to 9. This will depend on if you choose to use flaps and/or rudder.

What about landing gear?
I will not be adding landing gear. The design will allow for it, though, so if you come up with a good setup, please share!

SPECS

WINGSPAN
54.25in - 1378mm
LENGTH
39.5in
CHANNELS
WEIGHT
Airframe - TBD
ELECTRONICS
BASIC build
MOTORS - 2x Turnigy D3530/14 1100kv
PROP - 2x 9x6 APC
ESCS - 2x 30a Dynam
BATTERY - 3000mah+ 3s
SERVOS - 9g

SPEED build
MOTORS - 2x Tacon Bigfoot 10 1100kv
PROP - 2x 10x10 APC
ESCS - 2x 80a Dynam
BATTERY - 2x 3000mah 40c 4s
SERVOS - 12g Emax ES08MA II metal gear
BUILD DIFFICULTY
Advanced
MATERIALS
TBD

PLANS

Sample
9BeBUz1.png

VW8N8uml.jpg

BUILD LOG

Wiring diagram
View attachment 60221

Build progressing
PDatQoZ.jpg

yjo9nwk.jpg

VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUF6IGSrucU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5o4Cxh24c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyzThMdgq7M

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Do you want a removable wing of some sort to allow for easier travel?
At 54in she's not going to be a small bird. I was thinking, what if the wings detached half way down the wing?

Rudder?
I don't know how else to do it besides using two servos. This won't be an issue but I am curious what you guys think.

Should I add the wire supports?
They won't be needed for strength but it would fit with the scale look.

Last edited:

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
 I love the P-38 first the wing I think one Hole Piece It's only 8 inches bigger then th ft mustang (4inches on each side ) as fo rudders what about one servo in the bottom of the fuselage and run 2 wires to the rudders like the supports wires inthe diagram

Last edited:

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
All right man already getting started on the p-38. That great, cant wait to see this on come together

jayz 84

Do you want a removable wing of some sort to allow for easier travel?
At 48.5in x 35.6in she's not going to be a small bird. I was thinking, what if the wings detached half way down the wing?

Rudder?
I don't know how else to do it besides using two servos. This won't be an issue but I am curious what you guys think.

Should I add the wire supports?
They won't be needed for strength but it would fit with the scale look.

A removable wing might Be a good thing to think about maybe some sort of spar pinning system that you can remove the wing section just outside the motor pods/booms
On the rudder you can go witg two servo but its not needed. You can hook up one servo to one rudder the run a push rod to the other side
Wire supports are not a bad idea too they do bring alot of strength. I have them on my sport biplane and it makes it rock solid. For hardcore flight and high speed moves, which you know a few of use will do. It might be good as a option. For as a normal flyer wouldent need them except for the scale look

Rames

Can't wait to see this progress. Are you going with nnSpeed wings or FT under camber (or both)? How are going to handle the elevator servo- center (like on Flyzone P-38) or offset?

Removable wings might also help crash damage repair.
I think the support wire is actually the radio antenna on the real plane. But, you could certainly re-purpose it for rudder control.

jayz 84

Can't wait to see this progress. Are you going with nnSpeed wings or FT under camber (or both)? How are going to handle the elevator servo- center (like on Flyzone P-38) or offset?

I think the support wire is actually the radio antenna on the real plane. But, you could certainly re-purpose it for rudder control.

I talked to nic about it awhile ago about the wings and he said hes going to do both wing designs for all his build. (Even the mig3 has a Ft undercamber wing just waiting to be beta tested NIC... hint hint)

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
Very much looking forward to seeing this build too. Looks like you've got 2 very intense builds going right now. Best of luck to you on this one!

BanditJacksRC

I can't wait to see this bad boy.. This will be a fun one to build.
You're the man NerdNick. I am just getting into the FT community (and flying RC in general) I have build a few FT designs, but honestly have more fun creating my own designs to build.
Keep up the great work, you're an insperation.

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
another idea for servos are like Jayz84 said one rudder servo in one of the booms the run a push rod the rudder and one pushrod to the other side then for the elevator servo in the other boom the run a pushrod to the elevator

jayz 84

another idea for servos are like Jayz84 said one rudder servo in one of the booms the run a push rod the rudder and one pushrod to the other side then for the elevator servo in the other boom the run a pushrod to the elevator

That over all i think would work best and you can hide the servos inside the booms

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
what about the boom construction I really like how the front of the FT mustang is built with the closed up nose in gives it a really nice look and some extra strength

jayz 84

what about the boom construction I really like how the front of the FT mustang is built with the closed up nose in gives it a really nice look and some extra strength

Thats mostly what he will be doing and im not sure of gis plan yet causr the last time we talked about the p-38. He wasent going to use the power pod. But with the size he just might be doing them. In that case you have to close them up to give that nice bullet nose look the booms have

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
 I love the P-38 first the wing I think one Hole Piece It's only 8 inches bigger then th ft mustang (4inches on each side ) as fo rudders what about one servo in the bottom of the fuselage and run 2 wires to the rudders like the supports wires inthe diagram

Oh interesting. I'm curious how this would work. Wouldn't you need the push rode to go on the far side of one rudder? I'm not sure how this would work.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
A removable wing might Be a good thing to think about maybe some sort of spar pinning system that you can remove the wing section just outside the motor pods/booms
On the rudder you can go witg two servo but its not needed. You can hook up one servo to one rudder the run a push rod to the other side
Wire supports are not a bad idea too they do bring alot of strength. I have them on my sport biplane and it makes it rock solid. For hardcore flight and high speed moves, which you know a few of use will do. It might be good as a option. For as a normal flyer wouldent need them except for the scale look

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Like how FT did the 200% Cruiser wing. So with your rudder idea the 'push rode' going between the two rudder surfaces is exposed, right?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

As Jayz pointed out, I will be doing both wing styles. However, I have a gut feeling that the normal undercamber wing will feel better to fly, but we shall see :)