nnP-38 - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I can't wait to see this bad boy.. This will be a fun one to build.
You're the man NerdNick. I am just getting into the FT community (and flying RC in general) I have build a few FT designs, but honestly have more fun creating my own designs to build.
Keep up the great work, you're an insperation.

Thanks! Scratch building is a blast, and designing is even better. I'm glad you've got to experience that.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
another idea for servos are like Jayz84 said one rudder servo in one of the booms the run a push rod the rudder and one pushrod to the other side then for the elevator servo in the other boom the run a pushrod to the elevator

Can you elaborate, I want to make sure I fully understand.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thats mostly what he will be doing and im not sure of gis plan yet causr the last time we talked about the p-38. He wasent going to use the power pod. But with the size he just might be doing them. In that case you have to close them up to give that nice bullet nose look the booms have

That's right! I will be closing up the nose and the booms and it will not be a swappable.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys! My favorite part about this thread so far is all the signatures. Seeing 'development - plane xyz' is really cool! It's awesome to see everyone else designing their own birds.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys! My favorite part about this thread so far is all the signatures. Seeing 'development - plane xyz' is really cool! It's awesome to see everyone else designing their own birds.

Yeah man it sure is a great thing to see and you have inspired/and guided many into building there own planes great job man. Me i have yet to watch the design videos which im planing to get to soon so i can start making plans for all my designs to come

jayz 84

Can you elaborate, I want to make sure I fully understand.

Nic hes tring to say what i did in short. But the idea is to place (one) servo say in the right boom. Now run your push wire/ or push rod to the right rudder stab.(normal rudder setup)
Now most likey you will have to place this on the trailing edge of the rudder to work right but attach a very short control horn, or something to attach a carbon push rod too. Then run that across to the left rudder stab and attach in the same way. So one servo will control both rudders

jayz 84

I think it would really just be best to run two rudder servos. It would offer the best simplicity mechanically.

Yes in away it would as long as you can hide two servos in one boom(one rudder, one elevator) prob have to be in line and useing a push wire setup hinding them in the boom. Three servo sticking outside the boom on push rods would look bad

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
photo (3).JPG Jayz said it right but I worked so hard on the drawing I had to post it :p

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nic hes tring to say what i did in short. But the idea is to place (one) servo say in the right boom. Now run your push wire/ or push rod to the right rudder stab.(normal rudder setup)
Now most likey you will have to place this on the trailing edge of the rudder to work right but attach a very short control horn, or something to attach a carbon push rod too. Then run that across to the left rudder stab and attach in the same way. So one servo will control both rudders

View attachment 34617
Jayz said it right but I worked so hard on the drawing I had to post it :p

Okay, this makes sense now. Thanks for taking the time to do that, Okie! I rather like your drawing, haha.

Hmm.

So, while it's practical, I don't like being able to see the exposed rod. For the servo I'll be putting all mine internal, I'm not a fan of having them pop out the sides. It's an easy and effective way to do it, the FT style, I just don't care for the visual.

So It looks like there is really two options here:

1. Use two servos
+Using a Y cable will save on a RX port (same as 1 servo)
+Visually better
-Additional servo needed (cost)
-Added weight (9g, does that even count? haha)​

2. Use one servo
+Cheaper
+Lighter
-Rod is exposed​

I think I will go for option 1 in my build. Option 2 will be available for anyone who wants it :)

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
Well in my head the only rod exposed was the nod tieing the rudders together but your right what's one more servo for the price of perfection as for The designing part I will have plenty of time in the up coming weeks(back surgery on the 20th of this month) I will watch your videos and start on a F4 phantom and of watching this thread :)

This is my favorite plane. I would love to see progress. I Think that you should have an optional wing take off for transport. Some people like their planes in 1 piece. Try to use 1 servo. that way you can use a 5 channel controller so that you can keep the costs down for people like me. Thanks for the Design that you have made.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
This is my favorite plane. I would love to see progress. I Think that you should have an optional wing take off for transport. Some people like their planes in 1 piece. Try to use 1 servo. that way you can use a 5 channel controller so that you can keep the costs down for people like me. Thanks for the Design that you have made.

Hi there. This is something I'm definitely looking into. I'll be posting updates as I go through the dev process so please keep an eye on this thread going forward.