nnP-38 - design, build, and review log

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Twin rudders are always a pain. With the first version of my Cessna Skymaster I only had one of the two rudders working which actually worked fine. Not enough authority to do a knife edge, but enough for a scale flying experience. With my second version I just had it a bank and yank. As I said, they're a pain (and I'm lazy).

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
That would tear it apart! it would be cool to see though.:D

Nah it should handle it. Im sure its gonna sound like a beast.. im not sure yet with what ill use. Bigfoots of ntm 1800s... depend on how how its constructed im thinking about building retractable landing gear for it

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Subbed and following.
How about having both servos fitted inside the boom fuse like the FT Mini Cruiser.

View attachment 35656

Like that but in the boom and then the push rods will come out of the sides of the booms making for a much cleaner look.

Try to use 1 servo. that way you can use a 5 channel controller so that you can keep the costs down for people like me.

I guess for those that can afford to put a better receiver and 5 servos in that's fine because four of those are on y harnesses anyway. Plus some people want a rudder and some could bank and yank. So I guess Nic that you just need to have the space for a more advanced person to put 5 servos and the capabilities for a more of a novice to only have 3 (No rudder but they might have differential).

Safe Flying.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Subbed and following.
How about having both servos fitted inside the boom fuse like the FT Mini Cruiser.

View attachment 35656

Like that but in the boom and then the push rods will come out of the sides of the booms making for a much cleaner look.

I guess for those that can afford to put a better receiver and 5 servos in that's fine because four of those are on y harnesses anyway. Plus some people want a rudder and some could bank and yank. So I guess Nic that you just need to have the space for a more advanced person to put 5 servos and the capabilities for a more of a novice to only have 3 (No rudder but they might have differential).

Safe Flying.

Hey there, I can't seem to see your attached image. I think I know what you mean, though. If I'm understanding what you mean about putting the servo inside the boom then do not fret, that is what I always do.

Here is an example from my nnChipmunk
3W8BPLhl.jpg

In my past plans I've not done a good job at calling out servo placement and really have left it up to the builder. Guides are something I'm going to start adding to my plans but of course they will just be a suggestion.

I will be playing around with a handful of setups and while I won't run them all myself, they should all be viable for anyone who wants. The final plans will include guide marks for the different servo placement/usage options.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I don't know if anyone has already suggested it. But the easiest thing I could think of (but didn't try) for twin rudder is to mount a secondary control horn as far back on the control surface as possible. Have it on the inside of the two rudders and on each rudder. Then use a wire (or bamboo skewer with wire tips) to connect the two control horns together. If the control horns are mounted identically then the two rudders will move identically to matter what the "leverage" is on them.

I hope that makes sense.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
It makes sense, but I don't think a park size servo has the power to move that much surface considering how much power the plane has and the speeds it will be capable of. The system it's self should work just fine, but it will look a little less clean.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah there are many great options, it just won't be what I go with. Having everything as hidden as possible is one of my overall goals when designing a plane. The two servo option, single servo with a rod connecting the two surfaces, and differential thrust are really the best options available. I'll be using differential thrust but will include guides for internal boom mounted servos. For the single servo with a rod there isn't really much to put in the plans so if anyone wants that option they can definitely make it work with little effort.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
You know it man! I'm not sure what variants I'll make for this one just yet but in general I'll be releasing multiple sizes for most of my designs.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 3000mm flavor though :cool:

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
You know it man! I'm not sure what variants I'll make for this one just yet but in general I'll be releasing multiple sizes for most of my designs.

3000mm?! Wow, that would be awesome!:) What motors are you going to put on that?

jayz 84

JAW drop 3000mm. Good god man

jayz 84

How sweet would that be though?

I think I'd definitely need to make some retracts..

Oh yeah for sure. And yes it would be best to install retracts.
Now the ? Is you want to build a big chip and now the p38. Just where are you going to store these big boys