nnP-38 - design, build, and review log

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I'm pretty sure you could VTO this thing haha.

Lol... I cut out a minute or so of me figuring out how I was going to hand launch it. As soon as I touch the throttle it wants to pull right out of my hand. Basically I had to barely ease on the throttle and run it up as I was already in the throwing motion.

I suppose I could paint up two pieces of 60 grit sandpaper and glue them on the cockpit pod to give me something to grip onto, but I think I'll be OK without it :cool:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Looks like it's got a fairly nice glide slope for how heavy it is. I wasn't expecting that. Again, super impressed with this build and I hope I can see it in person @ FTFF2016.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I really was after something that would be a gentle flyer in the end. As much as I'm going to load mine up with lots of power I wanted this thing to be a very stable high lift plane. The wing design is what made this possible. I chose to make the airfoil scale thickness on purpose. I also went with the flatbottom wing for the same reason. The wing is actually pretty beastly in size when you build it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Carl came by my field today. We had some fun. I got a little video of the flight. Not all of it is there but we had fun.

Traveler_67

I know this is an older thread (just found Flite Test a couple months ago), and after looking at Nerdnic's website (very nice!), I realize the P-38 is nearing final plans stage (YES!!!). Here is a suggestion for the rudder; One servo using Sullivan's Gold 'n Cables control rods. Using these, both rudders could have the control rod on the inboard side. As the servo pulls one rudder, it would push the other. I added dual rudders to my FT Bronco configured with the high horizontal stab/elevator, but wanted it to match my balsa build OV-10, so I added two servos on a Y-harness. Didn't think of the Sullivan's until after that plane was built :(

Anyway, just a thought.

wilmracer

Mentor
I know this is an older thread (just found Flite Test a couple months ago), and after looking at Nerdnic's website (very nice!), I realize the P-38 is nearing final plans stage (YES!!!). Here is a suggestion for the rudder; One servo using Sullivan's Gold 'n Cables control rods. Using these, both rudders could have the control rod on the inboard side. As the servo pulls one rudder, it would push the other. I added dual rudders to my FT Bronco configured with the high horizontal stab/elevator, but wanted it to match my balsa build OV-10, so I added two servos on a Y-harness. Didn't think of the Sullivan's until after that plane was built :(

Anyway, just a thought.

There will be a lot of options for Rudder/Yaw control and the single servo and slaved surfaces is definitely one of them. I didn't build mine with differential thrust so I can tell you if that would completely eliminate the need for rudders but I suspect that she would fly well with just differential thrust, at least at least at speed. It wouldn't do anything for powered off flight just before landing, but everything is a trade off.

You do have to take into account the elevator location and make sure whatever method you use doesn't bind with the elevator. It does somewhat limit servo and control horn placement but not too bad.

Traveler_67

There will be a lot of options for Rudder/Yaw control and the single servo and slaved surfaces is definitely one of them. I didn't build mine with differential thrust so I can tell you if that would completely eliminate the need for rudders but I suspect that she would fly well with just differential thrust, at least at least at speed. It wouldn't do anything for powered off flight just before landing, but everything is a trade off.

You do have to take into account the elevator location and make sure whatever method you use doesn't bind with the elevator. It does somewhat limit servo and control horn placement but not too bad.

I looked at my foamy P-38 I got from Tower Hobby to see how they set theirs up, they used a dual servo/Y-harness set up on the rudder with the same on the elevator. The rudder control rods are outboard. Cut the elevator from the stab in a scale manner like in the 3 view below and binding shouldn't be an issue. That was an excellent point/reminder, though, thank you.

I just like the added scale realism of operational rudders, especially on distinctive aircraft like the P-38 & OV-10.

You guys have sure taught me a lot after reading through some of the build threads. Even though I've been flying RC for 8 years, I only got into building last winter, mostly as a lark and to try a different aspect of this great hobby. Building, as with the hobby overall, is definitely an addiction (gotta have my fix LOL).

Attachments

• 425px-Lockheed_P-38_Lightning_3-view_svg.png
    425px-Lockheed_P-38_Lightning_3-view_svg.png
    21 KB · Views: 195

jamboree1

Traveler_67, there is no better satisfaction than flying your own build, even more so your own design or seeing others build and fly your design.

kevinmce

Noob to RC
looks and seems to fly great shiitake!

My build is on hold since ive been doing some home improvements But hope to get back on it later next week.

Ill be moving to the U.S. soon so not sure ill get it done before i leave.

wilmracer

Mentor
No video from this weekend but I put about 7 more flights in on the P-38. On the second landing one of the conical intakes on the sides of the booms fell off, so I pulled the other one off to keep it symmetrical. She was noticeably more stable in the air, and felt a bit quicker too. She flies fine with them and they are a neat detail but without them she flies a little more streamlined. No shock there.

Also tested out a pair of new 70c packs. They are perfectly matched to this setup. The 50c packs I had before would come down on the warmer side, getting hot if you were really on it. The 70c packs came down barely warm even after beating on it.

Shiitake: You going to be @ flite fest? If so we should get a few formation flights in. I'm hoping there will be a few more 38s there as well :)

shiitake

Shiitake: You going to be @ flite fest? If so we should get a few formation flights in. I'm hoping there will be a few more 38s there as well :)

O man.. now that is tempting, it is to far for me this year (I'm from Holland). I was thinking about visiting FliteFest in 2016 but had to park that idea because of a family matter, I'm honored you're asking though!

wilmracer

Mentor
O man.. now that is tempting, it is to far for me this year (I'm from Holland). I was thinking about visiting FliteFest in 2016 but had to park that idea because of a family matter, I'm honored you're asking though!

Didn't realize you were in Holland... yeah, that is a long hike!
Maybe 2017 :D

Mstrkaratakus

Wondering how the build video is going? Printed out the plans and starting work on the cockpit :) Can't wait to get this bird done and in the air. The P-38 has been my favorite airplane since I was a kid LOL.

Jordan3367

First, this plane looks amazing. Simply lining up the pieces for it is impressive. :)

Question, where do the spars in the wing go?

I've figured out most of it, but I'm not sure where some of the small spars & the long triangle piece go... (is it a dihedral gauge?)
Anyway, any more build photos would be very helpful.

Thanks!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Wondering how the build video is going? Printed out the plans and starting work on the cockpit :) Can't wait to get this bird done and in the air. The P-38 has been my favorite airplane since I was a kid LOL.

Build video got put on hold, sadly. I got all the footage shot but have since changed the design. The video is still planned but I'm waiting until I actually finalize the design.

Thanks for sticking with me on this one, it's been a long road but I want to do this model justice!

First, this plane looks amazing. Simply lining up the pieces for it is impressive. :)

Question, where do the spars in the wing go?

I've figured out most of it, but I'm not sure where some of the small spars & the long triangle piece go... (is it a dihedral gauge?)
Anyway, any more build photos would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Jordan,

The BIG triangle piece is the dihedral gauge. The smaller one is used near the ail and beveled as a spacer. Let me look through the build video footage and see if I can get some screenshots of the wing guts.