nnP-38 - design, build, and review log

renyizhang

Hello guys! Would a NTM 3548 1100kv, 10x10, 60a esc with 3300 3s 35c work for this? I will able to get other parts if necessary. Thanks!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yes but it might come out nose heavy. Those motors are 170g each if I remember right. I flew with two Tacon's and they were 130g each and I struggled with it being nose heavy.

I would consider dropping down from 10x10 to 10x7 or x8. This way you can get counter rotating props. If you're hand launching this is really going to help keep you from launch crashing. If you're gonna put gear on it then you don't really need counter rotating props.

renyizhang

Yes but it might come out nose heavy. Those motors are 170g each if I remember right. I flew with two Tacon's and they were 130g each and I struggled with it being nose heavy.

I would consider dropping down from 10x10 to 10x7 or x8. This way you can get counter rotating props. If you're hand launching this is really going to help keep you from launch crashing. If you're gonna put gear on it then you don't really need counter rotating props.

Humm... yea, the tacon big foot 10 is always out of stock for some reason. Would you suggest any alternative motors?

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor

I wanted to chime in just in case you didn't see my updated response on YouTube. I looked into the NTM motors but actually used these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Brushless_Outrunner_Motor_US_Warehouse_.html

with the 10x7 counter rotating props.

renyizhang

Nic, are you able to mark off where all the spars, formers and the aluminium for the wings are supposed to go? Because I see that the plan wilmracer got have the indications for where each spars and formers are going to be. As for the aluminium spar and dihedral gauge, I'm not quite sure where is it in the plan. Still studying the plan right now... Will start building once I have a clear picture how the plans goes together.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The previous set up plans has indicators for the parts and placement. Sorry about that, I need to get them added to the latest set.

shiitake

Some video of the speed you'll get with this setup:

Hey, missed this one.. Nice!!!

There should be some doppler application out there that can calculate the speed from the audio of the passing plane.

My guess its 100mph+

It is fast!

Last edited:

shiitake

Got this one out of the mot balls today. Still flying absolutely great!
Only passes from left to right because the sun is so low on the right.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Build video got put on hold for now. It will come out eventually though :)

I'm curious how many are holding off building until the video is available?

Jordan3367

My brother got big motors for Christmas- He's starting this build again. :) He said the reference lines for spars were really helpful. Last time his P-38 failed because it was heavy, and he was using small motors. This time we have plenty of power. :)

kevinmce

Noob to RC
Ill be back building this again soon. Ran into some difficulty finishing the central fuselage, used the layers method but could not get a good finish.

My FT Spitfire bit the dust this week so need something new to fly :)

shiitake

I think nerdnic made another less time consuming design for the central fuselage. Maybe he has plans of it already but not published them yet