nnP-38 - design, build, and review log

DFi

Hello to this thread. Nice builds so far. after I've finished my actual builds I'll def go for this P38. Nice job, she's gorgeous.

DFi

Hey Nic, i'm studying the plans for a while now and I have a question to the wing plan. If I'm not mistaken, the long triangle is the dihedralgauge and the small strips are the fill ins for the gap that occures when cutting the flaps. is the smaller triangle the fill in for ailerons?

Cheers Dirk

DFi

I think for better transportation it would be better to put the linkage into the outer wing so that the main peace ends at the boom nacelles. And another idea for the master/slave rudder, I'm running this setup on my twinboom libelle. Each nacelle provides one servo, one for the elevator, the other for rudder. i've connected the rudders like on an RC car or truck. A horn runs straight forward for about 1cm. the connecting wire runs in a tube inside the horizontal stabilizer. only trick is to get the right length on the wire. I just made an L bend on each ends. I need to make some photos tomorrow and post them here.

So for now good night.
Dirk

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hey Nic, i'm studying the plans for a while now and I have a question to the wing plan. If I'm not mistaken, the long triangle is the dihedralgauge and the small strips are the fill ins for the gap that occures when cutting the flaps. is the smaller triangle the fill in for ailerons?

Cheers Dirk

Yes this is correct.

I think for better transportation it would be better to put the linkage into the outer wing so that the main peace ends at the boom nacelles. And another idea for the master/slave rudder, I'm running this setup on my twinboom libelle. Each nacelle provides one servo, one for the elevator, the other for rudder. i've connected the rudders like on an RC car or truck. A horn runs straight forward for about 1cm. the connecting wire runs in a tube inside the horizontal stabilizer. only trick is to get the right length on the wire. I just made an L bend on each ends. I need to make some photos tomorrow and post them here.

So for now good night.
Dirk

I'm still working out the removable wing setup. Overall I think the current design can be improved upon.

For the master/slave, are you able to hide the linkage?

DFi

Thanks Nic, I'm still not sure if the method would work on the P 38. In my case the hingelines of rudder and elevator are on the same hight.
20170222_193013b.jpg
20170222_193153b.jpg
20170222_193223b.jpg
20170222_195612b.jpg
20170222_195636b.jpg
I hope the pictures make it clear.
Even trying to make it look like a P38 this thing behaves more like a Noratlas.:cool:.
The tube for the linkage runs inside the stab about 5mm in front of the hinge line.

Rokcrln

Great looking design and nice planes so far. I may need to add these plans to my build file, but the 200% Spit is first on the list.

Kevin
Winters CA

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks Nic, I'm still not sure if the method would work on the P 38. In my case the hingelines of rudder and elevator are on the same hight.
View attachment 82765
View attachment 82766
View attachment 82767
View attachment 82768
View attachment 82769
I hope the pictures make it clear.
Even trying to make it look like a P38 this thing behaves more like a Noratlas.:cool:.
The tube for the linkage runs inside the stab about 5mm in front of the hinge line.

This is a cool setup. It's definitely complicated though. I don't know if I will try it as getting all the levers and linkages correct will be too much effort.

DFi

It was really much fiddling around to get it straight. I had to make the linkage wire three times. First was too long, broke while rebending, second was too short.
Maybe it's less complicated to take wilmracers version with two elevator and two rudder servos.
Maybe some high torque 6g servos.

DFi

Hey there, I'm back from two weeks 'work and travel'.
I've printed out the plans and just wanted to start and make templates as i met an old collegue who has access to a lasercutter.
Now im a little confused, for the fuse an and the wing the second cut has to be mirrored but im not sure how i can manage this.
do i have to use Illustrator to mirror the PDF?

cheers Dirk

shiitake

Hey there, I'm back from two weeks 'work and travel'.
I've printed out the plans and just wanted to start and make templates as i met an old collegue who has access to a lasercutter.
Now im a little confused, for the fuse an and the wing the second cut has to be mirrored but im not sure how i can manage this.
do i have to use Illustrator to mirror the PDF?
cheers Dirk

Maybe I do not totally understand your question but when I mirror something I just cut the same thing twice and flip one over.

DFi

I want to flip the vectored file for the lasercutter so that i produce a left and a right wing/fuse.

FPVology

Yeah, You'll likely have to mirror the wing yourself. I'm sure nerdnic would provide a mirrored svg if requested, but the task is not too complicated.
You could probably use Inkscape. Its free and is pretty great once you tackle the learning curve.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I want to flip the vectored file for the lasercutter so that i produce a left and a right wing/fuse.

Did you get this figured out? What software is being used to run the cutter, it should have the ability to mirror the source file?

DFi

For the moment the lasercutter is put on halt. There are some issues with the exhaust....i don't know. But my friend promised he could handle the files. But btw i like inkskape. Getting used to it. Maybe i'm presenting something here too.:D

Chuppster

Is this thread dead? I'd like to build this but I'm unclear on how to assemble some aspects of this plane. Are there build instructions anywhere?

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Is this thread dead? I'd like to build this but I'm unclear on how to assemble some aspects of this plane. Are there build instructions anywhere?

I don't think there is a build video yet, but a few of us have built them and I know we'd be happy to answer questions here. There are a lot of build pictures in this thread and I think I have more that I actually didn't post that might be helpful. Start the build and the help will be here!

crossj_2002

wilmracer,
Did you end up building with the removeable wings? I'm in total awe of your model. Nerdnic's plans are obviously very good, but you really put some excellent finishing touches on it.

I'm debating whether to keep it at 54" or scale it down to 48". I know that size can fit in all my vehicles.

I hope to put some static landing gear on it.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
wilmracer,
Did you end up building with the removeable wings? I'm in total awe of your model. Nerdnic's plans are obviously very good, but you really put some excellent finishing touches on it.

I'm debating whether to keep it at 54" or scale it down to 48". I know that size can fit in all my vehicles.

I hope to put some static landing gear on it.

So I built mine with the wing retention mechanism installed and ready since I was beta testing but I didn't cut the outer panels loose as she fit fine in my car without it. I am confident it would have worked fine but since I didn't need it I figured there was no reason to do it.

Thanks! I'm glad you like the model. Nic's plans are VERY good. I know this one is still technically in BETA but mine came together without any major hiccups. FWIW I did the layered fuse option as Nic hadn't designed the folded version yet.

A Kamai

nnP-38 Plans

I'm new to this forum, and newly returning to the hobby from a long hiatus. I did a scratch build of a P-38 about 25 years ago, and of course the technology was primitive by today's standards, and electric was not an option at that time.
So, even though your post is several years old now, this is the plane I had hoped to build someday. Do you have plans available for it, and instructions or tips on setting it up? The video is great!
Any advice or insights you are willing to share will be much appreciated!
Thanks!