nnP-38 - design, build, and review log

Chuppster

I'm new to this forum, and newly returning to the hobby from a long hiatus. I did a scratch build of a P-38 about 25 years ago, and of course the technology was primitive by today's standards, and electric was not an option at that time.
So, even though your post is several years old now, this is the plane I had hoped to build someday. Do you have plans available for it, and instructions or tips on setting it up? The video is great!
Any advice or insights you are willing to share will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

You can find the plans (along with a bunch of other cool plans) on Nerd Nic's website, under the beta tab.

https://www.nerdnic.com/beta.html

DFi

Hey Guys I'm back and finally I got my lasercutted parts....unfortunatly my friend missed to mirror the wing and fuse parts...
I think I'll just cut the mirrored parts by hand, don't want it to take another year. But to be fairly honest, the lasered parts are awesome.
I'll keep you up to date during the progress.
Cheers
Dirk

DFi

Hey Nic,
Some minor updates on my P 38, atm I'm going through all the bits and pieces, tomorow I'll visit my friend to get the mirrored parts cut.
I'm so excited. but again I came across a piece I'm not shure how to install. On the fuse pattern is this piece wich has to fit somehow into the boom, but there is no position marked.
Could you give me some hints on that?
Cheers
Dirk

DFi

20180702_010926.jpg

It's the red marked one. I've tried to figure it out but I'm at a loss here.
Btw, yes, its the mirrored version, so im ready to start. It's amazing how these laser work.
Another thank you to my friend Moritz.
Theres another one on my mind, I have two NTM 3530 with 1100Kv lying arround, do you think they would work or are they too weak...
There still are many things to consider on the way, wrap or layer nose, as I had a few troubles to give the wrap nose a constant shape. maybe one or two formers will do. If I'm going to alter something I'll make shure to let you know in detail.
OK, I need to call it a night now.
Cheers
Dirk

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
That is the lower aft portion of each boom. If you look closely you'll see how it is basically the same shape as the upper surface that you add the formers too and sheet with posterboard. When you dry fit it should become pretty clear how it fits. It should back right up to the vertical stabilizers.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Dirk those sheets look great. The laser did an awesome job cutting everything. Your 3530s with a 10x prop on 3/4s will work, you will need to account for their can height though as those are shorter than expected by the plans. The cowling is a few layers of foam that gets shaped, so you might need to use risers on the motor coming off the firewall.

Carl, the mystery piece is for the aft boom area, but not as the belly piece. It’s actually a stiffener that sets mid boom height. I’m not sure if this piece was present when you did the beta build.

Overall this piece is more on the optional side of the spectrum. I added it to guarantee the tail would be ridged, and boy was it. Think of it this way: adding that piece will help your plane survive a cartwheel, but at the cost of aft weight.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Dirk those sheets look great. The laser did an awesome job cutting everything. Your 3530s with a 10x prop on 3/4s will work, you will need to account for their can height though as those are shorter than expected by the plans. The cowling is a few layers of foam that gets shaped, so you might need to use risers on the motor coming off the firewall.

Carl, the mystery piece is for the aft boom area, but not as the belly piece. It’s actually a stiffener that sets mid boom height. I’m not sure if this piece was present when you did the beta build.

Overall this piece is more on the optional side of the spectrum. I added it to guarantee the tail would be ridged, and boy was it. Think of it this way: adding that piece will help your plane survive a cartwheel, but at the cost of aft weight.

AHH... makes sense! Thanks for the clarification!

DFi

Thanks guys, as I remember it right, wilmracers build was indeed before some updates were made to the plan.
@ nic: thats what i already thought about this piece, so I'll run along the middle of the aft boom.
Lasercutting is truely amazing. I wish i could lay my hands on one of these machines, but they are a tiny little bit out of my price range:ROFLMAO:.
OK, theres much work ahead.
As soon as there is something to show I'll let you know(see).
cheers
Dirk

crossj_2002

Taking advantage of some colder, windy weather. Got the nose assembled and rough sanded. I'm using white gorilla glue as my adhesive of choice, as it blends with the foam core so easily. Still need to fine sand and fill. Got my servos (turnigy 10g metal gear) on the way so I can begin building my wing.
Nose layers.jpg Nose sanded.jpg

crossj_2002

Working on my wing. Having a little bit of confusion with some of the inserts. Where do the other formers go (Circled in yellow)? Where are the items circled in green supposed to go? Are those for filling in gaps at the ailerons?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Wing insert Q.jpg
    Wing insert Q.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Working on my wing. Having a little bit of confusion with some of the inserts. Where do the other formers go (Circled in yellow)? Where are the items circled in green supposed to go? Are those for filling in gaps at the ailerons?

Thank you in advance.
Hey! Glad to see you’re making progress on the build. The Yellow are needed if you’re making a removable wing tips. If so, they go parallel to the main spar on the outside of the boom connection. This allows the main spar to ‘slide’ into a slot without being glued.

The green are spacers to be glued just above the flap hinges. The triangle next to the green is the ail spacer and needs to be tapered to match the wing bevel.

Hope this helps!

crossj_2002

Hey! Glad to see you’re making progress on the build. The Yellow are needed if you’re making a removable wing tips. If so, they go parallel to the main spar on the outside of the boom connection. This allows the main spar to ‘slide’ into a slot without being glued.

The green are spacers to be glued just above the flap hinges. The triangle next to the green is the ail spacer and needs to be tapered to match the wing bevel.

Hope this helps!

Yes, that's really helpful. Thank you. I think I'm going with a solid wing as I can transport it without issue.

crossj_2002

Some good progress tonight. Got the wing closed up and flaps and ailerons cut. Instead of the 4 flap option, I'm going with 2, and chose to use the middle 2, closest to the canopy.

Attachments

• Wing internals.jpg
    Wing internals.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing bottom.jpg
    Wing bottom.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing top.jpg
    Wing top.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 0

crossj_2002

Made a little more progress. It's starting to look like a real airframe now.
One thing that has me a little concerned is the motor mount. The version of plans that I have don't have the full markings or references so I'm not exactly sure how that goes together in the front of each boom. If anyone has some close pictures from their build or a copy of the original plans with comments, that would be helpful.

Attachments

• Booms to Wing.jpg
    Booms to Wing.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Cockpit mounted.jpg
    Cockpit mounted.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Cockpit mounted2.jpg
    Cockpit mounted2.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 0