No bones about it... there's a new project in the works!

Splatwillicrash

A cautious Monkey you are my friend.

Splat, I went ahead and put in an order for a whole set of ESC's and motors... just to be safe.
A far safer course of action. The others you have can get used on another project.

I work in Natural Resources in California. Looks like your in roughly the same line of work. NPS or State?
Anyway, Hope it is in the air soon.

I am going to build a Tri first, and then probably a quad, for fun, I run a Hexi right now, and want something that I can crash without crying tooo much..... I will just build a BUNCH of arms for it, since in one video I watched alot of Poplar become kindling in a hurry with these guys... I can build arms for about $0.60 each. Just need to set up a Jig for driling the holes so I can mass produce em and as my buddy Squishy likes to say, Fly em like you Stole em...... With this Mentality I figured I needed to buy a spare ANY kit, and some spare Rotor Bones parts which I did.

A wise man once told me, "If you don't expect to crash, this is not a hobby for you" My DJI Crash box looks like a portable dealers shelf. ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Your buddy Squishy? Squishy and Splat?

Is one of you a cartoon cat, and the other a cartoon mouse?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Stolen from the "Ask Chad" thread...

Motors for Rotor Bones... Since it is your project....

The 1380s are not in stock in US, can I sub 1600kv? Will they run on 2s bats, I have lots of those laying around? 1300's 2600's etc. Sorry for the noobish question, batts were not on the build list, and the ESC's are also not avail in US WHS. I have some turnigy Plush 12s that I hope will work.

It appears the lower the KV the better... but if you can't get anything else, I'd do that.

As to the batteries, no. The lower voltage will not be enough for this application.

This is what I just ordered from the US warehouse.

3x #L2210-1400/38691 Turnigy L2210-1400 Bell Style Motor (210w) (USA Warehouse) = $26.94
3x #TR_P18A/30683 TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller (US Warehouse) = $33.84

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Slight update... I removed the first set of ESCs and the power distribution board. (A great idea in theory, but I'm still not sold on it yet.) I put everything back together, with a piece of wood underslung for the battery and the gopro to mount to.

I also tried using some corrugated wire sleeves over the arms, just to see what it would look like.

163555_10200679056392600_975897377_n.jpg

Liemavick

Mentor
All dressed up and no place to go....grrumph. Shop looks clean though :) Which control board you going to use Brother? i was reading up on the KK2 and it had a nice review from a novices point of view (mine)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
New hold up. The replacement motors and ESCs are installed, the distribution board is gone, and a wire harness has taken it's place. This thing is looking sharp, by best looking tricopter yet.

Except... I can't get the darn KK board to work.

I plug in the servo and ESC to the receiver, and they work fine. Hook them into the board where they belong, nothing.

I think I'm having an issue with flashing my gear.

I'm trying to do it with the Mac, but the APSusb doesn't seem to have a driver for Mac. And my cruddy little Windows net book doesn't seem to be doing the job any better.

I am getting this error when trying to flash...

"avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update."

Everything else seems to be working. So I'm guessing this is the problem?

I'd just buy a KK2 board and be done with it, but... backordered.

Liemavick

Mentor
I feel your frustration Brother, hopefully someone will come along and give you a work around. Wheres that brilliant Swede when you need him? Oh thats right Chad has him locked away in the basement.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The "good news" is that it doesn't appear that the error listed is an issue. With the help of Google, I was able to find threads full of people much smarter than I am, that explained that this isn't an error message that has any bearing on what I'm trying to do.

The bad news is, now I have no idea where to look for the problem. It says the flashing is successful. I've tried various versions of the tricopter firmware. Nothing.

But, it is looking great otherwise...

184553_10200694427496868_1343423273_n.jpg 941122_10200694428776900_1267843831_n.jpg
942033_10200694430536944_599337434_n.jpg 941540_10200694431936979_1545678578_n.jpg

Liemavick

Mentor
Any chance that the KK isnt playing nice with your orange box, or visa versa? Just throwing it out there, not that I have any clue as to what Im talking about. LOL Just get all these mistakes out of the way so when you help build mine its a snap. Double check your wires going into the Rx, I know you have different color wires and its easy to get one reversed.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm an IDIOT.

Yeah, I've said it, and you're welcome to remind me whenever you feel the need.

I didn't arm it properly.

I have it working, except....

one motor is not responding. I don't know what's wrong, but I think it's just a matter of needing to recalibrate that one ESC.

I accidentally got into programming mode. I may have flubbed some stuff up.

But... I need to go back to work. I do a Tuesday night "campfire chat with a ranger". What was I thinking when I came up with that idea? :D

Liemavick

Mentor
So I wonder how the campfire gang is going to enjoy your talk tonight on ESC's, Motors, and tricopters?? "Oh yeah and over there is a box with dead animal heads in it...now back to the ESC's, if you plug it into the battery before... lmao Glad you found the problem Bro, you'll get the rest tonight or tomorrow.

earthsciteach

"Oh yeah and over there is a box with dead animal heads in it...now back to the ESC's, if you plug it into the battery before...

Buwaaahh haaaaa haaa haa!!!

"Nevermind that shadowbox full of ping pong ball sea turtle eggs. Can anyone here help me with flashing a KK board?"

Buwaaaahh haaaa haaa haa!!!!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have it working, except....

one motor is not responding. I don't know what's wrong, but I think it's just a matter of needing to recalibrate that one ESC.

:D

It is not the back left motor is it? If so it is the dreaded lazy motor 4 issue much written about on RC Groups and some here in my older multicopter threads.

If so just trim (and or sub-trim) till all motors work correctly.

Thurmond

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It is not the back left motor is it? If so it is the dreaded lazy motor 4 issue much written about on RC Groups and some here in my older multicopter threads.

If so just trim (and or sub-trim) till all motors work correctly.

Thurmond

No, it seems to not be getting any input at all.

Besides, I have it set up as a tricopter, so there is no fourth motor, fortunately.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
So I wonder how the campfire gang is going to enjoy your talk tonight on ESC's, Motors, and tricopters?? "Oh yeah and over there is a box with dead animal heads in it...now back to the ESC's, if you plug it into the battery before... lmao Glad you found the problem Bro, you'll get the rest tonight or tomorrow.

Buwaaahh haaaaa haaa haa!!!

"Nevermind that shadowbox full of ping pong ball sea turtle eggs. Can anyone here help me with flashing a KK board?"

Buwaaaahh haaaa haaa haa!!!!

Somehow I missed seeing these two posts.

Liemavic, I don't know you well enough to say anything too mean, but I strongly dislike you right now.

Patrick on the other hand... I hate you man... just wait until July, revenge shall be mine.

:)