No good places to fly around my house?!

FieldRC

I don't think I've seen this asked here.

Does anyone else feel like there's no good flying places near their house? I live in a woodsy part of New England (Suburban) and the closest open space (soccer field) that's less than a mile away is a popular dog walking place. Unless you show up at 6:30-7am on a Sunday THERE'S ALWAYS SOMEONE ALREADY THERE. I'm not very good at this yet, and my scratchbuilt hasn't gotten all the kinks worked out yet, so I'm not comfortable with passerby.

There's school fields several miles away, but that's like a 15 min drive and there's the same problem of the soccer field.

Maybe I'm crazy and just afraid of other people, but does anyone else experience this???

Bigeard

Does anyone else feel like there's no good flying places near their house? I live in a woodsy part of New England (Suburban) and the closest open space (soccer field) that's less than a mile away is a popular dog walking place. Unless you show up at 6:30-7am on a Sunday THERE'S ALWAYS SOMEONE ALREADY THERE. I'm not very good at this yet, and my scratchbuilt hasn't gotten all the kinks worked out yet, so I'm not comfortable with passerby.

There's school fields several miles away, but that's like a 15 min drive and there's the same problem of the soccer field.

Maybe I'm crazy and just afraid of other people, but does anyone else experience this???
I would imagine it is normal for anyone to feel like this when first starting out

BlockerAviation

Legendary member

Do you have a club nearby?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

I have a 20-30 minute minimum drive to get out from under the no fly zone from the "near by" air-force base, so I get you. I end up usually driving a whole hour to get out and to a field.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

Not sure where you are, but I used to live in Pembroke MA. There were a few AMA fields not far from there. One was right next to the Bridgewater State Prison. I wonder if it's still active...

Tench745

Master member
I have felt this way before. More than once, especially when starting out, I've gone out to the park with a plane and found the area too busy to fly. Often, if you stick around a bit the area will clear enough for a flight. One downside of using a park is that people can get into your flight area and increase risk to themselves and your plane without realizing it. I have found that if people see me flying, they will stay away until I've landed. I try to be conscientious about this and hold off on a second flight if someone else wants to use the field. Dogs and young kids concern me more, they both have a tendency to chase planes and pounce them when you land, so it takes vigilance.

checkerboardflyer

You didn't mention what kind of plane you have. If it's a bigger, faster one you'll need more space. There's a category of RC models called Park Flyers. Many of them are small enough and light enough that you can fly them in a very small space. I saw a YouTube video of one guy flying one in his back yard. Once you go the Park Flyer route you will suddenly see many more possibilities for flying. Watch the video HERE. This is a scratch built model called Beeker with plans from http://rc-plans.com More tips for RC foam board modelers on my blog at: https://foamboardflyers.com

beeker.jpg

FieldRC

Not sure where you are, but I used to live in Pembroke MA. There were a few AMA fields not far from there. One was right next to the Bridgewater State Prison. I wonder if it's still active...
Sorry for not responding, I couldn't get into the account. Anyways, I'm in the southeast, 1+ hour away from all those. I've managed to adapt, and go to the field at early times.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Sorry for not responding, I couldn't get into the account. Anyways, I'm in the southeast, 1+ hour away from all those. I've managed to adapt, and go to the field at early times.

On weekday mornings, I go to a local county park with baseball fields - I fly models as large as the FT F-16. On Sundays a fly at a school soccer field complex. I try and avoid places where there are too many people.

BillieSophh

Yes, I literally have been going through the same thing living in Bakersfield but I guess I just have to wakeup early when the ground near my house is free.

L Edge

Master member
Another area that is a possibility is an industrial park. I found a trucking area that was vacant and it served the purpose that allowed my son and I fly. To play it safe, we contacted the manager of the park and after explaining what we wanted to do, he gave us permission.

Another area within the industrial site allowed us to fly at night during the weekdays having a well lite area. When learning how to fly heli's, even had an area that blocked the winds during the training days. Side story, had a governor control rpm's of rotor blades, some nights while you flew, the blades would sync with the 60 cycle of the lights and the blades would be frozen or move slowly one direction or other while you are flying, Scary, until you got use to it.

I still use it to either fly or test equipment when the soccer fields are being used.

tetraodontoxin

*HIGH FIVE* Absolutely, I’m in a woodsy part of New England as well. My “yard” can only really fly quadcopters, helicopters, or really small park flyers. There’s fairly large fields a mile from my house but I only have one battery currently. If I climb on roof I might have enough room for a mighty mini, I would definitely look into clubs. Do you know anyone who would let you use their property? I understand not wanting to look silly or accidentally hit someone, but everyone was a beginner at something. Who knows, maybe someone who passes by might enjoy it too and make a flying buddy. I understand what your going through, space is definitely at a premium out in here in the middle of nowhere.

Piotrsko

Master member
Theoretically, I can fly off the street in front of my house, go a hundred yards to the intersection to turn around or do stunts. Two caveats: been flying forever, and I cant use the fast plane. But the street is 40 ft wide probably another 20ft both sides for setback and power poles are at the rear. Does get old after a while of just putting along, tight turn, putt back, another tight turn. Got to stay above the trees and roofs, And there is always a car when you need to land.

You need a space that is about 100 paces by 100 paces with nothing in it to fly depending on your choice of plane. parking lots even in strip malls if they don't have concrete parking stops. I can walk down to the other end of the street and fly in the school parking lot.
Start looking, you'll eventually start seeing possibilities

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Google maps is a great way scout an area for potential flying sites.

I have found this FT member map to be very useful when trying to find a flying site in a new location.

Piotrsko

Master member
Well is isn't my private road like I had in Tehachapi, but we only getevery so often neighbor traffic and I'm not standing in the middle of the street. Point is if you look around and get creative, you can find a convenient nearby flying site.