Help! No Throttle

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So, I'm trying to get my electronics set up and my transmitter programmed. I can't seem to get the esc calibrated. It's bound to the trans, I can get the servos to work, but I've got no throttle. There are no beeps at all when I try the calibration process. Just a steady red led. Just to make sure I'm doing it right, here's how I'm trying to calibrate:

I've got the receiver and motor hooked up to the esc.
I turn on the transmitter and set the throttle to max.
I plug the battery into the esc.

Then nothing. That's it. If I hook up the servos, I can move them around, just no throttle. I've thrown the throttle kill switch and it didn't change anything. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching and came across a post on this forum that said this:

"That receiver does not output PWM, which is what your ESC is expecting. PPM is not the same as PWM"

The Turnigy IA8 receiver that came with the trans is PPM. The trans can output PCM or PPM, but not PWM. Is that my problem, or should I keep looking?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So, I'm trying to get my electronics set up and my transmitter programmed. I can't seem to get the esc calibrated. It's bound to the trans, I can get the servos to work, but I've got no throttle. There are no beeps at all when I try the calibration process. Just a steady red led. Just to make sure I'm doing it right, here's how I'm trying to calibrate:

I've got the receiver and motor hooked up to the esc.
I turn on the transmitter and set the throttle to max.
I plug the battery into the esc.

Then nothing. That's it. If I hook up the servos, I can move them around, just no throttle. I've thrown the throttle kill switch and it didn't change anything. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching and came across a post on this forum that said this:

"That receiver does not output PWM, which is what your ESC is expecting. PPM is not the same as PWM"

The Turnigy IA8 receiver that came with the trans is PPM. The trans can output PCM or PPM, but not PWM. Is that my problem, or should I keep looking?
First thing I would do is to shift the ESC to an unused channel and fit one of the servos to the throttle channel and ensure that the throttle channel is giving an output which can operate a servo at least. If a servo works then the ESC should work. Remove the motor from the esc before you try it though or the motor might start up on the setting of the spare channel.

Try that and let us know the result.

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
First thing I would do is to shift the ESC to an unused channel and fit one of the servos to the throttle channel and ensure that the throttle channel is giving an output which can operate a servo at least. If a servo works then the ESC should work. Remove the motor from the esc before you try it though or the motor might start up on the setting of the spare channel.

Try that and let us know the result.

have fun!
I don't want to fry anything, so I want to make sure I'm clear. Do you mean just unplug the esc from where it's supposed to be and plug it in to say, channel 7? Also, there is no throttle channel. The receiver has channels 1-8 plus the B/PPM channel that the esc plugs into. Here's a pic:

IMG_0150.JPG

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I believe the standard channel allocations for your receiver are;

CH 1 - Ailerons / Rudder for 3 channel
Ch2 - Elevator
Ch3 - Throttle
Ch4 - Rudder for 4 channel

You can plug the ESC into any servo port as the power pins are common and the same for each port.

I believe the B/PPM port is for use in expanding the number of channels, telemetry, or breaking out additional connections for the servo ports. In other words for EXPANSION!

It is not a throttle port!

Hope that clarifies things a little.

If I have it wrong I am sure someone will jump in and let us know!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I believe the standard channel allocations for your receiver are;

CH 1 - Ailerons / Rudder for 3 channel
Ch2 - Elevator
Ch3 - Throttle
Ch4 - Rudder for 4 channel

You can plug the ESC into any servo port as the power pins are common and the same for each port.

I believe the B/PPM port is for use in expanding the number of channels, telemetry, or breaking out additional connections for the servo ports. In other words for EXPANSION!

It is not a throttle port!

Hope that clarifies things a little.

If I have it wrong I am sure someone will jump in and let us know!

have fun!
Oh, shoot! Time to go play with stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I plugged the esc into channel three, and guess what? THROTTLE, BABY! Time to go center some servos. Hai-Lee, you rock, mate.

The Journey Continues.
FYI my previous answer was incomplete the "B" in the expansion port stands for "Bind" as well. Just a little additional info.

Now you have it working i guess the day upon which you post either your first flight or first crash post is getting quite near!

Well done keep travelling!

have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
As soon as Bob said "ch 3 - Throttle", I KNEW right then!!
I would have Immediately shoved into Ch 1... And would have been sitting there, wondering WHAT was wrong with the ESC!! :rolleyes::eek:

I'm glad you got fixed up!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
FYI my previous answer was incomplete the "B" in the expansion port stands for "Bind" as well. Just a little additional info.

Now you have it working i guess the day upon which you post either your first flight or first crash post is getting quite near!

Well done keep travelling!

have fun!
The day is indeed nearing. I've a lot yet to do, but I've found an apparently kept, but unused baseball field that I can crash in. Just minutes from my house. When I actually get airborne, I'll have to find a proper flying spot, but I've got a good place to crash my first few planes.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You are taking big strides!

You may soon see the true value of the Tiny Trainer as Mayan is working on a special mod which will make you glad you built one!

Just a heads up!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You are taking big strides!

You may soon see the true value of the Tiny Trainer as Mayan is working on a special mod which will make you glad you built one!

Just a heads up!

have fun!
I remember reading about his mod and your mod. Now you're in cahoots! The big helmet and the camo head-strap camera. LOL. I can't wait to see what you two are coming up with.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I remember reading about his mod and your mod. Now you're in cahoots! The big helmet and the camo head-strap camera. LOL. I can't wait to see what you two are coming up with.
It is his work with a little of my assistance but be assured it could just blow your mind!

Heck it might even start a rush of TT builds!

Stay tuned! It looks good so far even to me!

have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
It is his work with a little of my assistance but be assured it could just blow your mind!

Heck it might even start a rush of TT builds!
Stay tuned! It looks good so far even to me!

have fun!

Well.... I may have to hold off, finishing my TT!! :cool::)
He hasn't mentioned anything about revolutionary changes. But I can't WAIT!

@buzzbomb CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cool:(y)(y) You're ON the Road!
I'm getting close myself. If I can borrow a Camera, I'll have pictures soon!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well.... I may have to hold off, finishing my TT!! :cool::)
He hasn't mentioned anything about revolutionary changes. But I can't WAIT!

@buzzbomb CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cool:(y)(y) You're ON the Road!
I'm getting close myself. If I can borrow a Camera, I'll have pictures soon!!
From my understanding it is something you can do to your already built TT to get a new perspective or a more advanced flight experience. Build and fly your TT first because you may just need some stick time before you take it on!

Expect flight tests in a week or two will tell all!

have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
From my understanding it is something you can do to your already built TT to get a new perspective or a more advanced flight experience. Build and fly your TT first because you may just need some stick time before you take it on!

Expect flight tests in a week or two will tell all!

have fun!

THAT'S the time frame I was shooting for!!

d8veh

Elite member
I'm getting excited myself reading about all this.

Just one word of advice concerning flying small planes in public places: Look out for free-running dogs. They sometimes get more excited than you, and manifest that excitement by ripping your plane to shreds as soon as it lands/crashes.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm getting excited myself eading about all this.

Just one word of advice concerning flying small planes in public places: Look out for free-running dogs. They sometimes get more excited than you, and manifest that excitement by ripping your plane to shreds as soon as it lands/crashes.
Literally made me laugh. (y)

jaredstrees

Nice! Sometimes the electronics aspect can be more difficult than the build itself. Glad you got it. My old flysky used those channels for the same functions, but the taranis is different. Took me a bit to figure that out!

d8veh

Elite member
A little advice for servo throws. It's better to have the transmitter on 100%, then, if you need to reduce the amount of movement, use the holes in the servo arm or control horn. Say you wanted half the amount of movement on your elevator, by reducing it through the mechanism, you get 100% resolution on the servo for accurate control. If you did it on the transmitter, you reduce the resolution by half, which makes everything less accurate, including trimming.

Obviously, you ca still use the transmitter to cut down the movement using the dual rates.