Non AMA member makes me an outlaw?

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I fly on private property most of the time and on public property about 10% of the time.
When on public property I am flying a umx sport cub.
I just listened to the AMA show in which they talked about people like me being outside the community (meaning being an AMA member) and being part of the problem which brought on the registration by the FAA.
I follow all the AMA guidelines but with my budget I have a hard time coming up with the annual dues ( I used to belong to AMA yrs. ago ).
From my point of view my only benefit of AMA would be the insurance and I doubt AMA insurance would pay much if my battery caused a wildfire.
I wonder if the registration goes thru if the FAA will be wanting proof of insurance next.
I need to check with my home owners insurance and see if my hobby is covered.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
You can add a rider to your home owners insurance i think. Remember AMA is secondary not primary. Your not a rebel what show were you talking about I think they were refrencing operating outside AMA safty rules not sure. There is dispute on the termenology of sec 336 ama thinks it means join and follow. I think it means just follow. However as you know thats up for interpritation. The FAA twisted their own interpritation lol.

Last edited:

FliteTime

Does the people the run [work for] the AMA have other work, or is it their primary income. They may be a little biased against people that aren't contributing to them. That's the way it works, put on a little pressure and their true colors come out, otherwise it just takes time.

krinaman

The 336 waiver for model aircraft requires that:

"(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and
within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;"

So I don't think you need to be a member of the AMA you just need to follow their safety guidelines (or another nationwide community-based organization)

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
The 336 waiver for model aircraft requires that:

"(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and
within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;"

So I don't think you need to be a member of the AMA you just need to follow their safety guidelines (or another nationwide community-based organization)

Yah thats the way i read it. However many people interprit it as needing to be a member. No matter one way or another im a member even when I wasn't part of a club.. I think it jist means needing to follow the safty code.

FliteTime

This is confusing and I may have missed something. I haven't seen a single picture of a winged model aircraft, are they trying to be misleading or are winged model aircraft excluded. Have a look at their examples of "Recreational UAS"

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
This is confusing and I may have missed something. I haven't seen a single picture of a winged model aircraft, are they trying to be misleading or are winged model aircraft excluded. Have a look at their examples of "Recreational UAS"

Winged is not excluded but the FAA's end game clearly was multiroters. But to do it they had to throw everything under the bus..

airhawk

Crashing Ace
I dont think ama is going to get faa to release ama members thats why i registered that and they were too many nosey neighbors