Noob build FT270 with EMAX Mini Magnum 2 Questions regarding Emax in FT270

johnfm3

They have never used these motors or ESC/FC combo. The person who answered the phone for AMain Hobbies who supports the FT store and who has been trying to help me suggested the 1700Kv motors which I believe was what was in the chaser video.

FDS

Elite member
Make sure the FC orientation is still OK, you can have it rotated but that makes initial set up more difficult as you have to tell it in Betaflight that it’s not facing “forward.”

man-bot

Those redbottoms are little beasties.

The spec sheet says with 5x4.5x3 props on 3s they produce 260grams thrust.

In my experience using their mt2204 i was lifting a heavy versacoper on 6x4.5 bi blades and getting 10 to 14 minutes cruising around chillin out flights. Less the more speed obviously.

I also bumped them up to 4s (NOT rated for btw) using 5x4.6x3 dal cyclones and ripped 4 minute freestyle flights.

Those red bottoms should easily out perform all that.

You can always change parts down the road after learning to fly. Thats what the hobby is about. Growing as a pilot and hopefully as a person in knowlege.

Id wonder more over the bullet escs then any other componant in your build list.

Edit... sorry was 6x4.5 bi blades not 7x4.5. Those red bottoms should still turn 7 inch props. May have to drop to 7x4 if heat is an issue.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
I can’t help thinking a TBS Source 1 frame with the longer arms option might work better for this build.

johnfm3

Id wonder more over the bullet escs then any other componant in your build list.

Edit... sorry was 6x4.5 bi blades not 7x4.5. Those red bottoms should still turn 7 inch props. May have to drop to 7x4 if heat is an issue.

I was not going to use the bullet esc's. As my FC stack comes with a 35A 4 in 1 on the bottom. But due to cost, I bought the set as there was confusion on CW vs CCW and such. So I figured buying a set of 4 would ensure I got the correct motor for each corner.

johnfm3

further explation: I bought the combo motor esc for the motors alone to ensure I had proper motors for my build.

man-bot

I been eyeing the emax stacks too. Was going to soup up my gremlin but decided that was over kill and built a 150mph capable 5 inch instead last year. o_O

man-bot

I have opinions on all in ones as well as prebuilt gear but those debates are long stale and boring.

Your case with having issues with fine motor control limit what you can do. Same boat as me but in different ways.

Your need for prefab is stronger which is why I offered to do the build with the parts you have.

In the end its your time, money, and desire to fly that dictates where you will end up. I am here to help as best I can any choice you make.

johnfm3

If I want to buy wire for the esc to motor so I can pre solder the esc before securing it, what do I look for?

FDS

Elite member
I use 18AWG silicone insulated hobby wire for that. Black seems to be the common motor wire colour.
You don’t have to worry about CW/CCW as long as you have nylock prop nuts and get the motors spinning the right way for it to fly. The motors were never “sided” it was the prop nut thread that was left or right handed. It’s not used much anymore, everyone uses nylock and motors are all the same thread direction.