Help! NOOB first FPV setup

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
googles option #2 is about the minimum acceptable quality google I would recommend. if you want "good" stuff, your going to spend more. Those googles include antennas, so you don't have to purchase any right off the bat, but the ones that come with are not as good as some higher quality ones.

The camera name brand is one that I hear often and should be ok. and the only thing here I would put in the 'good' category, the rest would be put in my "probably good enough for a beginner who isn't sure if they want to go all in" category.

VTX option 1 - Would work with the SMA antenna
VTX option 2 - I cannot see what connector it has, so not sure if you would need the SMA or RP-SMA antenna to match it

other then the point above about which connectors between the VTX and antenna above, everything above appears that it would work together.

also, you should check your local laws, most places have rules around what you can use on the VTX (channels/power) and/or require a license [like in the US you need a HAM license].

Superman

googles option #2 is about the minimum acceptable quality google I would recommend. if you want "good" stuff, your going to spend more. Those googles include antennas, so you don't have to purchase any right off the bat, but the ones that come with are not as good as some higher quality ones.

The camera name brand is one that I hear often and should be ok. and the only thing here I would put in the 'good' category, the rest would be put in my "probably good enough for a beginner who isn't sure if they want to go all in" category.

VTX option 1 - Would work with the SMA antenna
VTX option 2 - I cannot see what connector it has, so not sure if you would need the SMA or RP-SMA antenna to match it

other then the point above about which connectors between the VTX and antenna above, everything above appears that it would work together.

also, you should check your local laws, most places have rules around what you can use on the VTX (channels/power) and/or require a license [like in the US you need a HAM license].
1671259026664.png
I found this in the description of the VTX 2. Is it the right parameter?

Superman

I am planning to recreate something like this.

Is it possible with these components? Because the wiring on Vtx is a little bit different

JasonK

Also is it required for antenna types( RP-SMA or SMA) to be the same on Vtx and Vrx?
no, they need to be the same between the antenna on your VTX or VRX and the antenna that you connect to it as that is all that connector is dealing with

Did I understand correctly that the parameter (RHCP and LHCP) need to be same on receiver and transmitter?
correct, you want all RHCP or all LHCP for your gear. mix it and your range will be almost nothing [would be nothing if everything was ideal components]

Bricks

Master member
The only difference I noticed in the video goggles is one has a dvr and the other does not. These are not bad goggles have a friend that has a pair and they are very acceptable. The only thing I did not like about both sets is the battery is built in, there may be a hack to get an external battery to work.

The camera is actually one of the best cameras for low light ( night time ) conditions that will actually work well during bright conditions.

Cameras with the mount you are looking to use a direct mount like pictured if crashed may rip off the SMA connecter where the other camera you linked has a pig tail so you can mount the antenna independently

Me personally would never mount a camera like shown to much chance of destroying in a crash.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
here is a calculator:

https://www.maxmyrange.com/

but in reality, there are a whole bunch of factors that no one can predict to say the exact range you will get.
agreed....
I live out in the sticks with very few homes with WIFI to even make local noise and I get 1/4 mile with those cheapo $30 AIO (all in one) oufits and I get 2-3 miles with a TS832 600MW transmitters....
oh yes and doing your research to find what FPV bits and pieces work best together

Superman

Today the parts finally came. I soldered everything and it works! I just have 1 question: How can I hook up the VSEN wire from the camera to see the battery's voltage in OSD?

Attachments

• 1672769936374.png
    1672769936374.png
    978.9 KB · Views: 0

Bricks

Master member
Not a big quad guy none of my FPV planes have telemetry but for on screen display of such things as voltage etc you need a a fight controller ( or something similar ), as the flight controller is what puts out the telemetry on screen. That is why on a quad video goes to the flight controller then to the VTX. I could be wrong????

JasonK

Not a big quad guy none of my FPV planes have telemetry but for on screen display of such things as voltage etc you need a a fight controller ( or something similar ), as the flight controller is what puts out the telemetry on screen. That is why on a quad video goes to the flight controller then to the VTX. I could be wrong????

you could get a simple OSD chip and micro controller that could display some basic stuff... but I don't think they are frequently used. probably easier to have your radio call out voltage if your RX has the needed sensor setup.

Superman

My camera has a simple osd. It is Foxeer Toothless 2 Micro FPV Camera I somewhere heard that I need to connect that wire to lipos positive terminal. Is it correct?

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I use swapable fpv packs for years I dont damage them and I land in 5 ft swamp grass & bullrushes and other various swamp vegetation ....the photo below has a swapable fpv on 7 ft power glider

I use the Super Simple OSD from hobbyking, ebay etc etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Si...ar-Fatshark-ImmersionRC-orangeRX/350941180478

here is one of the fpv packs I use to switch from plane to plane it has a small Super Simple OSD it gives you basic osd data....Run time clock starts when you plug it in....and also displays battery voltage from two diff batteries....

Attachments

• ss osd.png
    ss osd.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    758.3 KB · Views: 0