Noob general question about swappables

JasonL

I learned how to fly gas planes when I was a teenager. I'm 33 now and have an 8 year old son and am wanting to get back into the hobby with him. I want to get my son started on the nutball/flyer/delta swappables and I want to build myself the Versa Wing, Spitfire, and Duster for myself. I've watched all of the videos and have been reading a lot, but I still have some unanswered questions.

If I build one power pod for my son and one pod for myself to swap between the planes, will I only need 2 receivers, or will each plane need a receiver? If only 2 receivers, how do you switch between elevons on one plane (Versa Wing) and conventional ailerons on another (Spitfire)? I don't have a radio yet and am planning to get the OrangeRx 6 channel from Hobby King. It supports up to 10 models, but I'm not sure what that means when flying swappables. Can somebody help?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Starting in reverse (I tend to think backwards) the T-6 can support up to 10 models, which typically means 10 seperate receiver bindings -- not entirly true, but it's easier to think that way. the radio designers, since they like to make money selling receivers, assume 1 receiver = 1 model, and they're never seperated.

In swappable pods, this is no longer the case. If you want to go 1 receiver = 1 pod, then it can mount to most any model with almost no change in the radio (you'll need to change programming between non-mixed controlls and mixed controls like elevons). you just leave the receiver in the pod. Because the T-6 lacks model match (which would match the 1 of 10 memory to a specific RX), you can easily program two or more setups for the same receiver and swap models in memory when you swap the pod.

All that being said (still working backwards) a nice power system for a spitfire or versa might be WAY too fast and strong for a flyer or nutball, especially in a novice's hands. Take a look at each build article an you'll see the power setup get bigger as you move to the more advanced planes. That's all to suggest, start planning on two pods -- a light-slow-easy pod and a zippy-power pod.

JasonEricAnderson

Just to add a few things, I have the OrangeRX T-Six and it's exactly what Dan described. I have three models setup in the radio's memory, one for each of the swappables. When I move my pod to another airframe I just need to remember to switch the radio's model to the airframe I've got my pod in. I have another receiver but that is more of a backup. They were so cheap it seemed silly to buy just one and have it shipped all the way here. It makes sense to have a 'beefy' pod (pod, motor, esc, receiver, prop) and a basic/slow pod.

I'd also recommend starting with the FT Flyer rather than the Nutball. I had all kinds of issues with the Nutball and LOVE the Flyer.

JasonL

Thanks for the quick responses guys! It all makes perfect sense to me, and I am definitely going to go with a beefy pod for myself and a slower pod for my son. Are the LazerToyz power packs a good choice to start out with, or should I get everything from Hobby King? What is the average shipping time if I have to purchase anything from the international warehouse at Hobby King?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Haven't played with the lazertoys. Keep hearing good things about them, but nothing too unique among the better domestic vendors -- pay more => better service.

HK's US warehouse is pretty quick. usually a week-ish turn-around, but selection and availability for parts can be spotty. The international warehouse has great selection, but takes ~2-3 wks at the cheapest shipping options.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I want to quickly add that it is a really, really bad idea to order batteries from the international warehouse from Hobby King. Since the international warehouse is in Hong Kong, it must be shipped via plane. Due to FAA limitations, only so many LiPo batteries can be on a plane. So, your order might sit in customs for a few weeks as a result. At least this is what I heard, but when I ordered batteries from the international warehouse, it did take a lot longer than any other order from the international warehouse.

Basically, order what you can (like batteries!) from the USA warehouse, when ordering from Hobby King. (At least I'm assuming you live in the states.) But order what you can't get there from the international warehouse. I think there is a minimum shipping cost. That is, if the order is less than X grams, it costs the same for shipping. Try to make the most of that weight and order some spare receivers and Y-connectors and servo wire extensions. (I think Hobby King still only has all of those parts in the international warehouse and they don't cost much, and don't weigh much. You may some day need those parts and it's better to have them right away instead of waiting on an order from Hong Kong. Or spending more from a more local store. At least I'm really glad I ordered a stash of servo wire extensions and Y-connectors for the few times that I used them.)

JasonL

I want to quickly add that it is a really, really bad idea to order batteries from the international warehouse from Hobby King. Since the international warehouse is in Hong Kong, it must be shipped via plane. Due to FAA limitations, only so many LiPo batteries can be on a plane. So, your order might sit in customs for a few weeks as a result. At least this is what I heard, but when I ordered batteries from the international warehouse, it did take a lot longer than any other order from the international warehouse.

Basically, order what you can (like batteries!) from the USA warehouse, when ordering from Hobby King. (At least I'm assuming you live in the states.) But order what you can't get there from the international warehouse. I think there is a minimum shipping cost. That is, if the order is less than X grams, it costs the same for shipping. Try to make the most of that weight and order some spare receivers and Y-connectors and servo wire extensions. (I think Hobby King still only has all of those parts in the international warehouse and they don't cost much, and don't weigh much. You may some day need those parts and it's better to have them right away instead of waiting on an order from Hong Kong. Or spending more from a more local store. At least I'm really glad I ordered a stash of servo wire extensions and Y-connectors for the few times that I used them.)
Thanks for the tips! This is good info to know.

JasonL

I browsed around HK last night and compiled a list of everything that I'd like to get to build my two pods. Before I buy, can someone look through these to let me know if I'm on the right track? Keep in mind, I want to build the Versa Wing, Spitfire, Duster, and possibly Baby Blender.

Beefier fast pod for me
Motor: D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner
ESC: Turnigy Plush 30 Amp
Battery: Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C lipo
Props: 8x6 APC style

Weaker slow pod for my son
Motor: D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv
ESC: Turnigy Plush 18 Amp
Battery: Turnigy 500mAh 3S 20C Lipo
Props: Slow Fly Electric Prop 9047SF

I also have on my list ATX900 servos, plenty of servo leads and y connectors, bullet connectors and battery connectors (for soldering).

Flat4

That motor on your beefier setup will need a smaller prop combo for it. They recommend in the description a 5x5 for 3S use. I've never tried a fast spinning motor like that on the swapables so I can't really comment as to how it will run.

For the slower pod for your son, they are suggesting a 7x4.5 prop for use with 3S, and that motor with that battery may be a bit quick. Really though that shouldn't be much of a concern as you can always change the throttle curve in your radio to not allow it to reach max power.

Everything else looks fine, I use those ESC's and servos for everything I've built so far with no issues. Definitely grab some of their blue velcro if it's back in stock yet, that stuff is amazing. Their Lipo storage bags are also a good deal for an added layer of security while storing your batts. Grab some shrink wrap tubing also if you don't have any, I find I use the 4mm size the most. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Edit: Snag a roll of their fiber tape also, best price anywhere for that stuff.

Last edited:

JasonL

So maybe I should change my motor option. I went to 'ecalc' website and it gave me all kinds of warnings and errors with the D2826 motor. I know the guys are big on using the "Beef" at Lazertoyz. Is there an equivalent motor at HobbyKing? I'd like to buy everything from the same place.

Flat4

I've been running http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Series_28_26A_1200kv_250w_USA_Warehouse_.html in my spitfire and bloody wonder on an APC 8x4 without issues. With a 4S battery the BW really zips along, the spitfire is a bit slower than I like on it however. If you go that route you will need to buy the accessory pack http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._28_Series_Accessory_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html .

For my FT3D I grabbed a http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34123 pushing a 10x4.5 runnig on a 3S batt. This might be a better option for you if you'd like a bit more power for your spitfire. I haven't tried it on a 4S yet since I don't have a small enough prop for it. It suggests a 7x3 for 4S use.