Noob here, wondering about hot glue and Hot Houston Summers. Is this a problem?

deenet

Dad, Airplane Nerd
I live in the west Houston area(Katy) and I am looking forward to my first project. But before I even get started, should I be concerned about summertime in the southeast Texas area which can routinely reach 105+?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
First, welcome to the forums!

And... umm.... probably. It's been reported by a couple people down in your neck of the desert - and the New Mexico / Arizona contingent, that hot glue can get a bit soft when you're baking planes like that. Sitting in direct sunlight for long in that heat will cause some drooping too.

The solution is simple (and superior in many ways) - White Gorilla Glue! https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-White-Glue-oz/dp/B001L6CVS6 The two biggest advantages to using WGG are weight savings and temperature resistance. And lower weight planes are able to fly slower and longer, which is generally speaking a good thing. :)

I use a combination of hot glue and WGG in all my foam builds these days - light application of WGG where the parts need to have a good joint, and then just a few little dots of hot glue to hold things in place while the WGG dries. There are some other useful techniques with WGG like using blue painters tape or clear packing tape to close in joints to keep the expanding foam from oozing out where its not wanted, or using a heavy bead of WGG in places where you actually do want a nice foamy bulkhead to develop (like around a plywood firewall being mounted directly into the fuselage).

Also, when gluing foam together with WGG, I almost never add any water or spray like the directions mention. Extra water means extra foam with this stuff, and usually I don't need that unless there is some cavity to fill.

Also, check out some of the builds and tips from forum member Tommy "TEAJR66" Armour - he's flying and building over in the desert of some heat and sun blasted military posting, and dealing with similar conditions to what you're up against.

Does that help?

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
+1 on rockyboy

One thing that I learned last flite fest from Joel Cannon is to lay down about an inch of hot glue, an inch of gorilla glue, an inch of hot glue, so on and so forth.

This means that you get the quick assembly time from hot glue, but the strength of gorilla glue, which won't melt in the heat.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks Keegan!

Also, another fun technique with WGG and hot glue. On my current Caudron C.460 build, I needed to attach the rather large low wing (43") to the fuselage. I have doublers designed into the fuselage so there are actually two layers on Dollar Tree Foam Board (DTFB) on each side of the wing attachment area. Also, the foam cuts weren't 100% perfectly aligned with the curve of the wing.

So the quick and easy solution was to put down a fairly heavy bead of WGG on both of the DTFB fuse doubler edges that would make contact with the wing. That way it will foam up and seal any cavities, making a very strong bond. However, I didn't want all the foam creeping out onto the visible surface of my wing and messing up my pretty plane. So I ran a full bead of hot glue down the outside DTFB layer edge and put the wing on with a little weight to hold it in place. With the nice hot glue seal to keep the wing aligned while the WGG foamed up, I have a super strong joint with no mess on the outside of the plane. :)

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-Caudron-C-460&p=321026&viewfull=1#post321026

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
some have reported using a little bit of talcum powder dusted on the hot glue, while it is still hot, helps reduce the chance of it letting go

jrosiek

Tester #46
+1 on the WGG (White Gorilla Glue) for foam

I'm in Michigan so I don't worry about using hot glue, that being said...

The foam board builds I used WGG have held up awesome. A little longer dry time but gave me a lot more time to tweak and primp to get things square and in line. Pretty much all glue is stronger than foam board. Put something together then work on another section and all the while checking on first part intermittently. A little slower than hot glue, but I believe much lighter than hot glue, at least in just glue weight.

WGG will shred a carbon rod before it fails, let alone foam or bamboo skewer.

I use WGG on foam at work for foam engine mock ups behind automotive/commercial truck fan tests. I'm talking about fans that deliver 100-200 pounds thrust just inches in front of foam that is held together with WGG.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I live in Aus and the temps here are touching 40 Celcius in the shade and 65+ in a locked vehicle parked in the sunlight. I stopped using hotmelt a long time ago and after a long search found a locally available glue that when dry will still be attached when the FB around it has been ripped to shreds.

Another bad trait of over heated hotmelt is that the plane can twist and warp if it gets too hot and is not stored properly.

Each to his own and I wish Hotmelt was more permanent when heated and used for the first time, (a heat as a catalyst).

Find what works for you and stick to it!

wedgetailaus

Yep Australia is suffering with an incredible heatwave right now. 35 degrees Celsius overnight minimums in some places.

Hai Lee, could you shed some light on the glue you use? I'd like to know of something safe for heat that at the very least I could attach servos with.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yep Australia is suffering with an incredible heatwave right now. 35 degrees Celsius overnight minimums in some places.

Hai Lee, could you shed some light on the glue you use? I'd like to know of something safe for heat that at the very least I could attach servos with.

I found a foam safe craft glue which also does wood though I use epoxy for engine bulkheads. The glue is distributed through a discount variety chain. The Brand name is OFFICE CENTRAL. and it is just labelled as a clear craft glue.

As for the servo mounting I like to use paddle pop sticks and the mounting screws that come with the servos. Mind you for prototypes I still use hotmelt occasionally.

SUNP0005.JPG

Zarich12

If you're not doing any high G maneuvers you could try a very high heat hot glue gun, but you're probably better of to just use a different type of glue.

donalson

ok so this is a bit of a zombie thread bump... but I'm here in houston and have been wondering about my joints as it gets warmer... I like the idea of GWG with dabs of hot glue... also thanks for the tips of sealing in the GWG with tape and beads of hot glue... should give some life to some of my future builds :)

Crash_Mig

I just built my first FT airplane (Old Fogey) and also used hot glue for the first time. I was not crazy about hot glue (Elmer's hobby hot glue). It hardens much faster than I expected. A couple of times I did not place the piece before the glue started to dry. Also, after glueing, say the wings, the glue dries before I could smooth it out. Next build (FT Explorer) I will try White Gorilla Glue. Good luck