Noob mistake

BoredGuy

I have a Turnigy D2826/6 brushless motor. Decided to take it apart one day, accidentally broke the clip on the back that holds the two parts of the motor together. Still is in one piece because the two halves have a (very strong) magnetic attraction, but I can pull them apart if I apply enough force. Is the motor still usable in a plane, and if so, would it be suitable for the FT Commuter?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Get used to losing them unless you disassemble the motor inside a plastic bag (which works BTW).

Spare C clips are a must if you fly over sand or anyplace where constant cleaning of motors is required.

quorneng

Master member
3.175 mm is the metric conversion of 1/8". It is a common size for brushless motor shafts.
You need a clip intended for a 3.17 shaft.

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
If you use the motor without the clip there is a good chance the can will pull away. Unless of course the model is a pusher where the thrust pushes the can in place rather than pulling it away.

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
BTW in some motors when you reverse the shaft, the recess for the circlip will be in the wrong place. In the past I've use a locking collar instead of a circlip.

BoredGuy

@GremlinRC, what do you mean by reversing the shaft? And do I need to worry about any other washers or something else that might be attached with the clip?

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
@GremlinRC, what do you mean by reversing the shaft? And do I need to worry about any other washers or something else that might be attached with the clip?

Depending on the motor you buy, the shaft may protrude from either end and sometimes the default doesn't suit how you want to mount the motor in the model and you need to reverse the shaft so it protrudes out the other end. In many cases this is possible but sometimes it needs a little creativity to make it work.

Mostly the bearings are well glued in and they should not come out when you pull the motor apart. Sometimes there is a washer under the circlip and you need to be careful not to lose that. When removing the circlip, I often do it inside a plastic bag because it is too easy for the circlip to go flying off never to be seen again.

BoredGuy

Oh dear...
I'm pretty sure my motor had a washer under the circlip.
Is it too important? And wouldn't a M3 clip/e-ring give a tighter fit on the motor shaft?
Sorry for all these Qs, just that I really do like that motor.
Lesson learned, always use a plastic bag-just that the guy in the youtube "tutorial" didn't use it either:)

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
It is quite likely the motor had a sintered bronze washer under the clip to give a 'proper' bearing surface. A 'spring hard' clip rubbing directly on a hard ball race inner is not an ideal combination without lubrication. It is after resisting the full thrust force.

I doubt you would be able to get a M3 clip onto a 3.17" shaft unless the groove had been specifically cut deep enough.