Noob question on Versa wing and receiver

mrwis@yahoo.com

I'm just completing my initial build of the versa wing. I have a spectrum ar610 receiver and with the servos plugged into it its a bit too tall to fit completely inside the wing. I've built it as a pusher so I don't have the power pod. Since I'm a rather new flyer I'm expecting it to take a dive or two so I'm wondering where others are placing their receivers. I figured I could fashion a bit of a box over the rounded rectangular access area on the bottom but I'm concerned about that and the belly landings.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm excited to give this thing a spin.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I would just tape or glue it to the topside of the wing. If you can, try to keep it away from where your battery, motor, and servos are to reduce interference. Maybe a dab or two of hot glue where the antenna(s) enter the case to give it more strain relief.

Welcome to the forums, FliteTest, and congratulations on your first FT build! Be careful if you're new to flight... I recommend lots of expo and limited throws (maybe 30% expo, 50% rates) if your transmitter allows it. Also, if you can double check the CG before your first flight, that might save you some repair time... With everything installed (battery, prop, etc), give it a good toss and make sure it can glide easily into a nice smooth landing. Don't need to run up the motors, but just keep a hand on the elevator/aileron control stick. Do it over grass or something soft, if you can. I've even seen people throw them into the side of a sheet hung between trees.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
What ever you do, just make sure that baby is secure! I ended up chopping my RX's antenna off mid flight on my versa wing. Luckily it still had ans still has enough range to continue flying in a small park.

mrwis@yahoo.com

Great. Thanks for the info guys. I was definitely going to do something with the dual rates and expo. Thanks for the numbers. Good suggestions on seeing if it will glide.

NoaLax2

Great. Thanks for the info guys. I was definitely going to do something with the dual rates and expo. Thanks for the numbers. Good suggestions on seeing if it will glide.
Good luck! I had my first sucessful flight witb my versa wimg! It was hard for me to hand launch, so i designed a bungee launcher for the wing! It works very well. Good luck!