Noob question: Storch is > 250g... but what's the serial number!?

What the title says. As far as I can tell, there is no serial number for storch speed build!
Any ideas?

Update:
Answer/TL;DR: I landed on a FAA looking page that charges for nice stickers and cards and their form is wrong. All you need is to pay U$5 to FAA and their form is correct (They have an option for "Serial Number not Applicable"). The FAA Drone Zone link is https://faadronezone.faa.gov

Last edited:
Unless I'm totally lost (very possible!), the "FAA 3-Year Recreational Drone Registration" is the form I'm trying to fill out. The serial number is a required field.

Nevermind. I was lost. I landed in some page that looked FAA but it was not really FAA.
The official page is FAADroneZone.
The links found in FliteTest website takes you to a dead link.
For the record the link is https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/

Searching via Google it was not the top link. One of the links had FAA in it and it was not official. They charge like $30 for stickers and cards. The FAA is $5.

My bad

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Nevermind. I was lost. I landed in some page that looked FAA but it was not really FAA.
The official page is FAADroneZone.
The links found in FliteTest website takes you to a dead link
My bad
We do not currently need to register planes, quads, or drones for recreational flying in the USA. Only pilots are registered for recreational flying.

The FAA web site itself may be in error right now if is asking for a serial number. In 2023, when the FAA’s “Remote ID” is supposed to fully take effect, for recreational you will still not need to register DIY planes and quads; instead they will want to know the Remote ID device. And that’s only for in excess of 250 grams.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
To be clear. I’m the clueless one here. The FAA looking site was not FAA and charge for nice stickers and card. Their form was wrong.

the FAA form IS correct. You simply click Serial Number not applicable. You basically register the pilot not the airplane.

The FAA made change to their registration form a few weeks ago where they were requiring everyone to enter a serial number for each UAS, even for recreational. When people complained that the FAA was not following the congressional mandate to permit recreational to not require registration, they fixed the form it appears.

Wilk77

The FAA made change to their registration form a few weeks ago where they were requiring everyone to enter a serial number for each UAS, even for recreational. When people complained that the FAA was not following the congressional mandate to permit recreational to not require registration, they fixed the form it appears.
I just registered with the FAA a week ago and did not have to include a serial number. I do not believe serial number is required.. however, as recreational pilots we still need to pay attention to Part 107. My father is retired FAA and walked me through the regulation.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I just registered with the FAA a week ago and did not have to include a serial number. I do not believe serial number is required.. however, as recreational pilots we still need to pay attention to Part 107. My father is retired FAA and walked me through the regulation.
I just checked on renewal for registration and the site now implies all UAS must be registered. This is not completely true for recreational - do they really want to know the average scratch builder has dozens of UAS that may not even last a few weeks? While it is clear that all UAS flown recreationally must have the PILOT's registration number - recreational UAS do not have individual registrations.

Even the form for adding a "device" has a drop down for "homebuilt UAS", but still requires "name / manufacturer / model / remote ID" and serial number. While the serial number is not required, the rest is - which makes you wonder whey they even bothered with the "homebuilt UAS" in the drop down. It shows you that they really don't understand people making their own quads and aircraft.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
how can it require a remote ID number given there aren't any remote ID devices to even have one?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
how can it require a remote ID number given there aren't any remote ID devices to even have one?
Exactly. Not required for more than two years, no devices even exist yet, but the FAA web site is ready! Someone should let them know that 2 years on the web is decades.

Scotto

Elite member
Its a trap. Gotta get you used to the new normal slowly. The remote id will come for the frias and the sub 250s too. Just a little after getting everyone herded into the fria. That captive market will just be too easy to not force everyone to buy an id for each plane. Gotta make sure you dont fly out of bounds... its for your safety.

Wilk77

I just checked on renewal for registration and the site now implies all UAS must be registered. This is not completely true for recreational - do they really want to know the average scratch builder has dozens of UAS that may not even last a few weeks? While it is clear that all UAS flown recreationally must have the PILOT's registration number - recreational UAS do not have individual registrations.

Even the form for adding a "device" has a drop down for "homebuilt UAS", but still requires "name / manufacturer / model / remote ID" and serial number. While the serial number is not required, the rest is - which makes you wonder whey they even bothered with the "homebuilt UAS" in the drop down. It shows you that they really don't understand people making their own quads and aircraft.

I only put the name of one model, "mustang", "scratch built" as manufacturer, P51 for model, and left ID blank. Once I paid the $5, they gave me a number to place on each of my models. It's good for 3 years.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I only put the name of one model, "mustang", "scratch built" as manufacturer, P51 for model, and left ID blank. Once I paid the $5, they gave me a number to place on each of my models. It's good for 3 years.
My point was that I wouldn’t give them any details, since they aren’t required. For recreational, you are currently registering yourself, not a UAS. Then again, when it comes to the government I am suspicious and skeptical. If it is optional, I opt out. They aren’t doing anything of benefit to us,

Wilk77

My point was that I wouldn’t give them any details, since they aren’t required. For recreational, you are currently registering yourself, not a UAS. Then again, when it comes to the government I am suspicious and skeptical. If it is optional, I opt out. They aren’t doing anything of benefit to us,

the only issues with opting out, for me, is that some fields in ,my area require that you have.a UAS registration number to fly at their feild. For $5 and about 2 minutes of time.. I figured I would just comply with the useless bureaucratic nonsense. We are also very close to several airports..

CappyAmeric

Elite member
the only issues with opting out, for me, is that some fields in ,my area require that you have.a UAS registration number to fly at their feild. For $5 and about 2 minutes of time.. I figured I would just comply with the useless bureaucratic nonsense. We are also very close to several airports..
Being close to an airport is irrelevant for registering as a recreational pilot - that is only relevant to following the regulations for flying recreational UAS.

You actually did not register a UAS, you registered yourself. The number you were given is for all UAS that you fly recreationally - it is GENERIC and not aircraft-specific, which is why the FAA does not require any of the info on your aircraft - only that each aircraft has your PILOT registration number physically attached to it (or written on it).

Unfortunately, they make you list at least one UAS to get past the prompts in order to get the registration number for you which is used to place on all your aircraft. I only create a generic UAS, with all fields entered as "N/A". The rest of it is not really the business of the government, in my opinion. When Remote ID is finally enacted, you will need to enter at least one UAS and list the Remote ID serial number, but then just move that device between airframes if you want.

Wilk77

Being close to an airport is irrelevant for registering as a recreational pilot - that is only relevant to following the regulations for flying recreational UAS.

You actually did not register a UAS, you registered yourself. The number you were given is for all UAS that you fly recreationally - it is GENERIC and not aircraft-specific, which is why the FAA does not require any of the info on your aircraft - only that each aircraft has your PILOT registration number physically attached to it (or written on it).

Unfortunately, they make you list at least one UAS to get past the prompts in order to get the registration number for you which is used to place on all your aircraft. I only create a generic UAS, with all fields entered as "N/A". The rest of it is not really the business of the government, in my opinion. When Remote ID is finally enacted, you will need to enter at least one UAS and list the Remote ID serial number, but then just move that device between airframes if you want.

Being close to airports has the potential for us to fall under part 107, even as rec pilots... especially if someone calls to complain. Better safe than sorry is the way I Look at it. I was raised by a fed... I know how they think. If they can find a reason to mess with you, they will.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Yes - I’ve worked closely with FAA inspectors for over 40 years professionally, and some of my best friends are Air Carrier Inspectors.