Noob Question

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
I'm interested in getting a small 3D Printer & a few rolls of PLA. But my computer is in my bedroom, and I don't have any space for the 3D Printer. Does it have to be hooked up to my computer 24/7? Or can I transfer files to it somehow? I most likely would have the printer elsewhere in the house.

WillL84

Excellent! Does it come with a card, or do I buy that separately?

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

I believe mine came with one (not 100% sure though) but that all depends on what printer you get as to it coming with one or not. If not they're cheap enough on Amazon, you don't need a big one. An 8GB will be more than enough.

WillL84

Here's a good 3D printing basics video playlist from one of the top 3D printing guys on YouTube. If you have some time give some videos a watch, they're very informative

quorneng

Master member
My printer came with a USB lead to connect to the printer but no micro SD card although a micro SD slot was provided on the printer mother board.
Like you I have to use a card to transfer my files. There are some good and bad points.
You can switch off you computer and the printer keeps going. Similarly if something goes wrong with the printer it does not upset the computer.
Obviously apart from the card itself you also need a micro SD to USB reader for your computer.
Prints can take hours so if you are using a lead make sure you computer does not time out. A best the printer will just stop at worst the print will be scrap.

Just a word of warning, beware of static. You can build up static walking from one to the other. It pays to discharge yourself by touching some metal on the printer before you insert the micro SD card. If you don't there is a risk that the discharge will occur over the card and that can upset the data on it. Been there!

ColoFlyer

I'm interested in getting a small 3D Printer & a few rolls of PLA. But my computer is in my bedroom, and I don't have any space for the 3D Printer. Does it have to be hooked up to my computer 24/7? Or can I transfer files to it somehow? I most likely would have the printer elsewhere in the house.

You can easily install Octoprint on your computer and using a Raspberry Pi attached to your 3D Printer you can transfer files to your printer through your home network. You can also monitor your prints with your cell phone at home or when away.
My 3D printers are 2 rooms away from my computer in the hobby room, and I can send files to the printer and watch through a web cam in Octoprint as the print starts. There are tons of videos on how to do this.
Watch these 3 videos and all your questions on this will be answered...

Turbojoe

Elite member
If you need a printer with a smaller foot print take a look at this video. YouTube Link

I'm seriously thinking about buying one to complement my years old Ender 3. Can't beat the price either.

Joe