Noob Tricopter Keeps Flipping getting discouraged

Loc8tor

People are helping you because we love this hobby and really enjoy seeing others succeed in the hobby. That's why this forum is here! We are all here to help each other out. There are several on this site that I consider personal friends - so much to the extent that I've been loaned some items via mail, such as the tool to flash the kk2 and a really nice pair of LED arrays. I've never met these guys in person and only know them from this forum and facebook chat.

Bottom line is, we have a GREAT group of people on this forum. And, we do a pretty decent job of discouraging negativity and nastiness if it arises (which it doesn't very often). I think this forum is a more welcoming place than others because those are the attitudes that the Flite Test crew embodies. We have gravitated toward that positivity because it really is a breath of fresh air on the internet!

So, welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you here. By the way, have you been able to work out this issue, yet?

If you mean the flipping and not getting off the ground yes I have worked through that. i did mention that. If you mean the once it's off the ground the drift and not really any control over it and sticks not really doing anything no. It's windy and cold right now. I probably won't be checking it till next weeks warm up. If I do get it under control I will absolutely update here. If not you already know I'll be trying to find out why.

earthsciteach

Sorry, I'm late to this discussion. The KK2 won't eliminate drifting. If you are giving stick input without much response, that is definitely a settings issue. If it won't stay in one spot, that is just a limitation of the KK2 board.

Loc8tor

Sorry, I'm late to this discussion. The KK2 won't eliminate drifting. If you are giving stick input without much response, that is definitely a settings issue. If it won't stay in one spot, that is just a limitation of the KK2 board.

I've seen in the videos of people flying them they go up about 5 feet and float around the same spot. My drift is not a little fluctuation in position give or take a foot. It's drifting continuously in at maybe a walking pace and will keep going in that direction. And just really minimal reaction to my sticks. I can tell it that something is happening but not enough to change anything. It's like it's drunk.

Loc8tor

Ok. Tried flying today with the tips. I do have more control from my sticks. But idk how to fly so making mistakes. I don't even touch the yaw cause I'm so busy trying to keep it level. And it's drifting all over the place I'm so busy just trying to keep it level I can't even focus on where its going and I'm constantly crashing. I don't know how to fly it and I'm just swinging into the ground. I've broken 3 props and snapped all the flite test delrin. Idk if I'm expecting to much either because the videos I see it just pops up off the ground and hovers in one spot with no spin. I'm expecting to be somewhere close to that atleast and then learn to fly it. But it seems I have to know how to fly it to start out. I've gone between auto level and not. Definitely getting farther off the ground without it. I won't get any where at all with it. Maybe after the flash. I took some video of my settings Im going to try to get them on here and of a flight where I snapped off a prop but maybe you can see how it's drifting all over.
http://youtu.be/9lm5Bq7TLRg

Just uploaded at 1132 eastern may take a bit before it can be viewed.

Loc8tor

ok uploaded but the second one you have to click the link under the first video here in the forum because its not showing the video in the window like it is the first one. I hope it's not down to pilot at this point. The frustration is getting overwhelming at this point. Gonna let it sit for a few days to calm down.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have to say, it's probably some of both, part pilot and part multi. My tri is nowhere near as stable as my hex, but in your video, it looks a little like being behind the copter's movements, like not reacting fast enough. It could be from it not reacting enough to your input. What do you have your stick scaling set at on the KK2?

Loc8tor

I have to say, it's probably some of both, part pilot and part multi. My tri is nowhere near as stable as my hex, but in your video, it looks a little like being behind the copter's movements, like not reacting fast enough. It could be from it not reacting enough to your input. What do you have your stick scaling set at on the KK2?

42 I had it at 60 but seemed to really go over what i wanted it to do and with my piloting skills it was too much (panic) so I reduced it and yes I am behind because I have to try to visually process which way it's facing then which way it's tilted then react. I am definitely behind. Grrrrrr. the frustration. If the auto level worked correctly would this be much easier?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Not as much as you'd think. You still have to fly the copter so even though it's frustrating, you are on the right path. It does get easier. Are you putting all of the stick scaling to the same level? on a tri, yaw can be a lot lower since the yaw is so effective. I also keep my throttle high, around 90. Try bringing them down lower. I think mine are at about 35 or 40. My yaw might be 30. Try to go slow and make just small corrections. If it's getting away from you, just land it before it crashes. I guess, picture a box out in front of you say 6' x 6' which will be your hover box. Bring it up to about waist to chest level and just hold it there. If it goes out of the box, land and start over. It might seem tedious at first, but this will teach you to hover quickly. Just keep doing this until you can hover inside the box for most of a battery. Keep adjusting the settings on the board to make it work for you. Main thing is to change only one thing at a time, this way you can tell what is working and what isn't.

pelotron

I have to disagree a bit... I find it much easier to fly with auto-level on. The KK2 gyros/accelerometer don't seem to work correctly until the copter is in the air, so doing really slow liftoffs is actually harder than pulsing the throttle to get it up quickly. It looks like this is part of your issue. The slow liftoff leaves your copter at an angle from the start, so you're battling to correct its attitude before it's even off the ground.

I started flying my tricopter with auto-level on from the beginning and now 3 months later am finally venturing into flying in acro mode. I still switch to auto-level whenever I'm in trouble. What's the deal with your auto-level? It doesn't function correctly..?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I have to disagree a bit... I find it much easier to fly with auto-level on. The KK2 gyros/accelerometer don't seem to work correctly until the copter is in the air, so doing really slow liftoffs is actually harder than pulsing the throttle to get it up quickly. It looks like this is part of your issue. The slow liftoff leaves your copter at an angle from the start, so you're battling to correct its attitude before it's even off the ground.

I started flying my tricopter with auto-level on from the beginning and now 3 months later am finally venturing into flying in acro mode. I still switch to auto-level whenever I'm in trouble. What's the deal with your auto-level? It doesn't function correctly..?

If autolevel is working correctly, I'd completely agree, but for some airframes and for earlier firmware versions, it doesn't. yeah, some cases can be attributed to pilot error, or vibe, or poor CG, but the tuning of the PI filters can help for a lot of that (well, maybe not the pilot error ;) ).

The problem is, autolevel *hides* the tuning of the PI settings -- it just works well or it doesn't. You have to turn off autolevel to tune the Gyro PI settings, *then* you can properly tune the autolevel settings.

If you're lucky enough that the stock settings (which aren't a bad guess) work for you, then what you're recomending will work well -- Start on self-level then move on to acro -- but if the settings don't work for your airframe, you need to get it stable *FIRST* in acro mode, then get self level stable. By then, most folks will have a good grasp on how to keep it airborne.

Loc8tor

If autolevel is working correctly, I'd completely agree, but for some airframes and for earlier firmware versions, it doesn't. yeah, some cases can be attributed to pilot error, or vibe, or poor CG, but the tuning of the PI filters can help for a lot of that (well, maybe not the pilot error ;) ).

The problem is, autolevel *hides* the tuning of the PI settings -- it just works well or it doesn't. You have to turn off autolevel to tune the Gyro PI settings, *then* you can properly tune the autolevel settings.

If you're lucky enough that the stock settings (which aren't a bad guess) work for you, then what you're recomending will work well -- Start on self-level then move on to acro -- but if the settings don't work for your airframe, you need to get it stable *FIRST* in acro mode, then get self level stable. By then, most folks will have a good grasp on how to keep it airborne.

I'm going to flash the kk board before I try auto level again. I can't even get of the ground with it. As for the 6*6 square. I'm out of that box within 1-2 seconds. I'm not drifting a little. It's a lot. And I'm not fast enough to correct it. I'm pretty much going to wait til I flash the board to even try again because I've beat it up so much the first day I got off the ground. I don't want to destroy it before the flash. I'm wondering if I should have went hex or octa copter.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
A tri is always ambitious for a first multi, but not impossibly so. A standard quad is a good start, but you have what you have -- if you can get this in the air, you'll be on your way to learning to fly any mulitrotor.

The settings and control loops in 1.6 are *much* better than 1.2, Hopefully i'tll be a big help.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
From what I remember about the 1.2 firmware autolevel was the "sloppy" feeling. Meaning, you could never "tighten" it up. Following a similar analogy of Craftydan earlier . . . v1.2 autolevel was like being on an air cushion on the inside a very large ball wandering around 10-20 feet before settling down. The stabilization of the autolevel was slushy and loose. Whereas 1.5 and 1.6 it's like being on the inside a small ball. When you let go of the elevator and aileron (right stick, mode 2), the response can be tuned to be about as snappy as you desire.

Last edited:

Loc8tor

A tri is always ambitious for a first multi, but not impossibly so. A standard quad is a good start, but you have what you have -- if you can get this in the air, you'll be on your way to learning to fly any mulitrotor.

The settings and control loops in 1.6 are *much* better than 1.2, Hopefully i'tll be a big help.

Well got the usb programmer now going to try and figure out how to flash it.

Johan

If the default USBASP does not work, IIRC there is one called USBASP compatible (or something like that) since it is advertised as USBASP, that is the most likely to work).

Bit weird they actually mention KK2 in the prod. description, but do not mention which USB driver to select (unless the default works, which is USBASP).

Loc8tor

If the default USBASP does not work, IIRC there is one called USBASP compatible (or something like that) since it is advertised as USBASP, that is the most likely to work).

Bit weird they actually mention KK2 in the prod. description, but do not mention which USB driver to select (unless the default works, which is USBASP).

That's why I bought it. I thought it can't fail cause it says kk board on the product ebay page.

Loc8tor

On the program it has a drop down box to select "controller" I think thats where I am suppose to select the USbasp device I have. It lists hobby king brand and some others. I'm worried if I just keep trying to use different ones I might lock the board.