Noob with a Nighthawk 250

bhunt88

I got a EMAX Nighthawk 250 kit for Christmas and a Turnigy 9x radio and receiver. I had read that the naze32 was better than the CC3D so I put a Naze 32Rev 6 on my quad. I should probably mention that this is my first miniquad build and I have zero flying experience.

My problem is that I can't seem to properly pair my Naze32 with my Turnigy 9x receiver, everything else seems to work fine. When I go into Cleanflight to configure my sticks, the roll, pitch and throttle all move when I adjust my throttle on my radio. Something tells me this isn't normal.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram from a Naze32 Rev 6 with a Turnigy 9x? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Any help is appreciated!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Basically you want one wire per channel between the Naze and Rx, on pins 1-8 on the Naze. Make sure you have RX_PARALLEL_PWM selected in the receiver tab in Cleanflight.

bhunt88

I have verified that all wires are going to the right channels and from what I can tell they are. I also verified I am in RX_PARALLEL_PWM. Unfortunately I am still having the same problem. Here's how I have it wired up and a video of my problem:

IMG_3742.JPG IMG_3743.JPG

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Looks like some kind of mixing is happening in the transmitter. Make sure when you create your new model in the Tx that it is just a standard airplane (or acro) type with no mixing.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That looks like you have selected helicopter as the control type. Check to make sure your model type is air plane as Sean says

bhunt88

Thanks guys! That was the answer to problem #1. But now I'm onto another problem. I have EMAX 12A Simonk ESCs and I can't seem to get them all to calibrate. When in cleanflight I can get all motors to spool up almost evenly. They spool up as follows:

1 - 1056
2 - 1031
3 - 1054
4 - 1056

But when using the radio to control the throttle, #3 doesn't spool up and #2 doesn't spool up all the way like 1 & 4.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
That's pretty normal, the FC is commanding the motors, but since there are no props on it is having no effect. Throw some props on and see if it hovers :)

bhunt88

It tried to, but then it immediately started to roll to the left before it even got off the ground. :(

Last edited:

bhunt88

Everything is spinning correctly and I believe I have to props in the right positions. When trying to hover, it seems like motor 3 isn't producing enough thrust since that is the corner that isn't getting off the ground.

2rdcajb.jpg

bhunt88

I did but after I noticed the beeps when powering on were no longer in sync. There is one ESC that's about a second behind the others. I'm not sure if that's normal or not

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Definitely odd... Unfortunately I know next to nothing about SimonK. All I can suggest is to double check your connections and solder joints for anything suspect, and maybe try to calibrate again.

bhunt88

Absolutely... Emax certainly isn't known for their outstanding quality or QC ;) Nothing against them really, I use a fair bit of their stuff and haven't yet had a problem.

I guess it's a good thing that I bought an extra 4 ESCs lol. I'll check all my wiring and swap out the #3 ESC and report back. :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Few things to try and help you.

First the emax "simon series" ESC's are actually running blheli, they just called them "simon series" because at the time they were released simonk was more well known and common than blheli. But...it's not a normal version of blheli, emax hacked it up and modified it. You can reflash them with real blheli...but they're really not great ESC's to begin with. They're silabs based..which is nice...but they've got slow fets so they can't do damped light which is what really makes a big difference.

You can still recalibrate them with the usual methods. This is my 280pro with real blheli flashed to the AIO board's ESC's so the sounds will be a little different...but the basic technique is still the same. Recalibrating is highly likely to solve your issue with one ESC starting a little slower.

Now...the bad news. That's really not a very good RX to use on a quad. The reason is it doesn't have a failsafe mode that the flight controller can detect. It will just lock on what it was doing when you loose signal if you loose signal...and the FlySky protocol it uses is notorious for loosing signal easily. That's a great recipe for a flyaway. At a minimum make sure you've got your name and contact info on the quad before flying if you want any chance of getting more than one flight out of it. But ideally you should look at a better RX. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can make one from an A7105 module and an arduino pro mini both of which are available on ebay for a few bucks each. It will also be a PPM output RX so you'll only have to deal with one wire so it's simpler to wire up. That will let you configure it to drop signal completely which will allow the FC to go into failsafe and let your quad drop instead of flying away. Alternatively banggood sells an RX they call the "dasmikro" which has a working failsafe, though it's a bit trickier to use since it has to be setup to output an artifically low value on signal loss. And that means using your TX to output that signal then raising your minimum output on the TX and loosing a bit of resolution. It works, but it's not ideal...and the RX is very fiddly to deal with and has limited range due to a poor antenna.

A better option is to replace the RF module on your 9x with either a DSM(x) module or a FrSky module either of which will give you a far more reliable link and the ability to use serial RX's which can cut down on latency. The 9x is a great radio...but it's stock RF system is really marginal and in some cases downright dangerous. Having experienced a flyaway myself I can tell you first hand it's a horrible feeling watching your quad fly away as you stand there helpless to do anything about it. Thankfully I had my phone number on mine and the guy who found it a few days later called me and returned it. (My failure wasn't a flysky link issue...it was physical failure of the PPM wire on an OpenLRS setup combined with me not realizing I had lost my failsafe settings on the firmware...but it's still no fun!)