Noobie Trying to get anycoter {tri-copter} to fly

tctmonkey

Hello all,

I recently bought the anycopter frame and finally got around to building it. I am running a kk2 board with 1.6 firmware, ipeaka 22 amp sk esc's ( after the expensive lesson of learning about the importance of polarity). I have checked the motors are running in the correct direction, but the dang thing isn't generating thrust in the right direction. I have two regular props and a pusher prop. I was told I had to run a cw,ccw,cw by the kk2 manual and show layout function.

So the dumb question I have to ask is do I run all the same type of props ( that is all pullers ). I got everything else working I ran through the rc test mode on the kk2 and all the subtrims are zeroed, the control's responses correctly.

feel free to rub my nose in it if I am being stupid. I have read the manual over and over again and everything looks set up correctly.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
So you have the correct props on the right motors? Are the motors spinning in the right direction? If it's sucking instead of blowing, you need to reverse the motor direction...

tctmonkey

I have 1 pusher and two tractor props, according to the kk2 board the motors are turning in the correct directions Motor 1 has a tractor,motor 2 has a pusher, motor 3 has a tractor. When I reverse two of the leads on the esc it kinda it promptly cartwheels. I Have moved the props around to test and it seams that I need two pushers and 1 tractor. I have flipped the props according to one recommendation and that didn't help. I will swing by the hobby store on the way home tomorrow and see if I can straighten it out. I will try reversing the motor direction again. Kinda confused why the kk2 show which way the motors are suppose to spin and I sure the motors are spinning the correct way, but yet it is sucking vs blowing. Thanks again I appreciate the help.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hang on before you start reversing everything. Get the directions from the KK2 board and verify that the motors are turning in the proper direction for their positions and you have all the motors plugged into the correct port on the KK2. No props yet, just motor direction and position only. Once you have direction and placement of all motors sorted then add the props, but make sure they also match direction and the raised printing is upwards.

Johan

This is what happens if you swap a CCW and CW prop on a tri.
You get lift on the prop that is correctly installed, while the other two push the booms down, resulting in a tri that tends to flip instead of lifting off.

The same happens if the props are in the correct positions, but the motors run in the wrong direction

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
If you can't tell what way the motors are going you have two options. Use a piece if tape around the shaft or like David does just put the prop on the motor but don't secure it. The little bit of friction will move the prop in the direction u need. On my t copter the motor direction lay out is this, cw-ccw and rear is cw. That should fly. The ccw prop is a pusher prop. The other two are normal props. Try that you should take right off!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
KK2 Motor layout screen only shows you which way YOU should hook up the motors to turn. The KK2 has absolutely NO control over motor rotation direction.

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
KK2 Motor layout screen only shows you which way YOU should hook up the motors to turn. The KK2 has absolutely NO control over motor rotation direction.

Thurmond
Good point! I forget that everyone is not aware direction is not determined by the board, rather how the motor is connected to the ESC. In other words, if the motor is spinning in the wrong direction, swap any 2 of the 3 leads on the motor.

tctmonkey

Thanks for all the input. I have made sure that the motors are actually spinning in the direction the kk2 board directs. So motor one is going clockwise motor 2 is going counter clockwise, motor 3 is going clockwise ( Used a piece of tap as directed above). I was under the impression for a try-copter regular standard props worked and you did not need a counter rotating prop. Standard prop on motor one is sucking , if I change it to a pusher prop it blows (guy at local hobby store said a pusher and counter rational were the same thing) . I put the "standard" prop on motor two it blows. Pusher prop on motor 3 blows. I am 100% certain that the motors are spinning in the correct directions. I ordered some new props form hobbyking and a kk2 usb flashing accessory, figure I needed one anyhow. I have read the manual many times so I am reasonably sure I have a pretty good understanding on the material there in.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That's correct, clockwise (looking down on the multi) will take a pusher or reversed prop to work right. At least you know it wasn't something you did wrong, except put the wrong props (direction-wise) on there.

Johan

Note that you can use standard props on all three (while again reversing the rotation of motor 2).

This is against the 'advice' given by the screen on the KK2.
The downside is that the tri then wants to counteract the rotation of the props, tending to rotate opposite to that.

David with his original tri does that as well and counteracts it by giving the tailservo an offset so that it gives some opposite rudder by default, counteracting this rotation tendency.

Sorry for the overuse of counteract ... :)

tctmonkey

Thanks again for all the help. I have got the right props. Balanced the tri-copter pretty well. I have made sure it is level and set the kk2 pids for both self level and regular flight. I got it to take off backward which is a new one apposed to before and giving it a little elevator I got it to level out sorta right before the right front motor went flying off. I checked the screws and they do not appear stripped. the other motors are nice and tight. I assume there is some way to make it so my motor doen't fly off?

Last edited:

tctmonkey

Also found one of the booms has heavy vibration on it(same one loosing motor) Doesn't look broken, but it does have a bit of flex in it. Not sure how anyone gets one of these things up. Most of the posts say they just set up the kk2 and maiden. My attempts have ended with complete failure. Bout to the point to take it out to the rubbish.

epic.engineering

]
Also found one of the booms has heavy vibration on it(same one loosing motor) Doesn't look broken, but it does have a bit of flex in it. Not sure how anyone gets one of these things up. Most of the posts say they just set up the kk2 and maiden. My attempts have ended with complete failure. Bout to the point to take it out to the rubbish.

this might be a stupid question..but have you watched the flite test video for the tricopter build, also josh has one for setting up the multi rotor control board.. which semi applies, but in that video josh explains the prop and rotation.. I built a bat bone that I made from ply wood and I use 3 normal props, I just tilted the rear servo slightly to the right and there is no need to run reverse props or reversing motor.. super simple setup.

Also use blue loctite (medium strength) on the screws that attach the motor to the mounting plate.. hope this helps but if you need I'll video mine with a walk thru of the setup for you.

vk2dxn

Do you have the correct pitch direction of the prop? If you look at the prop front on you will see the "scoop" if that makes sense.

Edit: sorry I jumped in early before reading all the posts.

Last edited:

tctmonkey

Thanks for all the help everyone. The boom was broken under the motor mount. I replaced the boom. Switched all props to the same type and all motors going the same way(even thought kk2 manual says to have them cw,ccw,cw) and I had a sorta successful maiden. I was able to hold it at 4 feet until I tried to fly around. Thanks again so much to all for your patience and help.

epic.engineering

Thanks for all the help everyone. The boom was broken under the motor mount. I replaced the boom. Switched all props to the same type and all motors going the same way(even thought kk2 manual says to have them cw,ccw,cw) and I had a sorta successful maiden. I was able to hold it at 4 feet until I tried to fly around. Thanks again so much to all for your patience and help.

Don't forget about the gyro gains, I used the regular kk board.. I'd start all at 50% and adjust from there.. if it has a vibration.. lower the gain on that gyro.. ex.. if you roll left or right and get a vibration.. then lower roll gain.. if not turn it up until it does vibrate, then back it down a little bit until I the vibration goes away..

My setting on my remote is low rates : aileron 70% + 55% expo , elevator 70% + 55%expo, rudder 90% no expo.. good setting that allow you to control the tri and not have it really twitchy.. I'd fly and keep it in a space about 30 feet wide at first.. I fly in my street and normally go down about 2 houses both directions.. I've flown it much further than that but it is extremely hard to keep it in perspective, and orientation.. it's easier to learn and push it further away over time.. this is just my experience and I'm passing it on.. hope it helps