Normal or Blunt Nose Versa?

Chessien

Hey all,

I'm going to get a versa wing at some point here, but I was wondering, should I get the blunt nose conversion too? This will be my third or fourth plane, and I have plenty of experience with bank-n-yank. After I get some line of sight stick time, I plan on converting it to my first FPV ship as well. I thought the extra space would be nice, but does it add any difficulty to the build (first FT kit build)? Does it have any weird tendencies with the blunt nose (I heard rumors of tip stalling)? Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

Chessien

Aeronaut

Build+Crash= +more power!
Personaly I think that the Blunt nose conversion is a must for the Versa. It expands the capabilities so much and makes for a great FPV ship. Its bigger a bit too so its easier to spot if you lose signal and you can add more batterys and gear. And its looks cooler too IMO. Its not that hard to construct and will be a nice addition to your fleet. At for 10 bucks you can't beat the conversion. CG is a bit harder to get but once you find the right balance it won't be a problem.

Have fun flying!
Jack

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I would go with the blunt nose version. If you build a pusher version, you'll want larger batteries up front to minimize dead weight and maximize flight times.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
If you're going to do FPV, build the blunt. It gives you so much more freedom to adjust your CG and mount your equipment. Definitely also do a pusher instead of a tractor. Wings are just made to be pushers, IMO.

Winglet

I have 3 blunt noses and one standard version flown in tractor configuration. All fly great. No tip stalling at all on any of them. Just really nice flying airplanes.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
One thing to keep in mind about the blunt-nose -- you have more "freedom" to mount more gear in the nose, but you now have more need to mount more weight in the nose.

If you're not yet flying with FPV gear, that means more ballast to push the CG as far forward as you need -- when the weight goes to payload that's awesome . . . when it goes to lead . . .

What I'd recommend, get the versa + blunt kits, then use them as templates.

Start off with the standard Versa (cut from DTFB off the templates) and get some more stick time on a lighter, simpler airframe.

As you get ready for the FPV wing, pull out your templates and build the blunt versa and load up on FPV gear.

It'll cost you $2 more in foamboard, but you'll have more practice at building (making repairs easier). When you finally build your blunt-nose, you'll have a cleaner build because of the practice and a longer lasting airframe because of the stick time.

nlit3n

Like everyone else said blunt nose is the way to go you can alot more equipment which will help you balance out the plane. Even then you still may have to add dead weight to get it to balance. There is a also a 3rd option you can add a fuselage to the versa wing. 20141029_234822.jpg 20141029_234908.jpg
This way you dont have to add dead weight to get it to balance, just put the battery out in front of the wing.

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Has anyone increased the scale to a 125%? You get the extra space plus a longer nose for balancing with. I have one cut out but not assembled yet. It will be the third or fourth Versa that I have tinkered with for FPV. Still not committed to FPV, but it is fun and interesting.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hmmm . . . interestign idea . . .

Not only do you give more space to easily place the balast in the nose, but becasue the material is relitively 80% thinner, you'll make the natural balance point move forward -- closer to where the CG needs to be . . . so you'll need even less balast.

So what do you have planned to power this Mini-Blunt-Kraken of yours?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Hmmm . . . interestign idea . . .

Not only do you give more space to easily place the balast in the nose, but becasue the material is relitively 80% thinner, you'll make the natural balance point move forward -- closer to where the CG needs to be . . . so you'll need even less balast.

So what do you have planned to power this Mini-Blunt-Kraken of yours?

I cant get my mind away from the NTM EF-1. 2x4s 5000mah 8x8 prop. It wont be blunt nose, just a little bigger. I feel like the blunt nose makes the plane pitchy (just my opinion), but the extra real estate is very attractive.