North Carolina Flite Test Flyers

DaveA

Super Duper Monocouper
Statesville Swap Meet

I know you guys mentioned it earlier, but the swap meet in Statesville Feb 14 might be an opportunity to meet a couple of you guys and see who has what junque available for sale/trade. I hope to make it if work doesn't get in the way- it would be my first. I don't know anybody yet in this hobby beyond FT and lurking in the forums for a short while. Been out of aeromodeling since getting into full scale when I was a kid.

Edit: there was a swap meet in Burlington today. Saw it on Craigslist. Anybody go?

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Definitely, that sounds like a plan. I'm going to try to make it, sad I missed the burlington meet.

mrstamp80

UH... feb 14th valentine's day? My wife is not gonna like that .... already pushing to go to joe nall mothers day..(choose my battles choose my battles) Unfortunately i work on saturday's and don't get off til around 4pm. I still may try to make it up there.

I had a buddy go to the burlington meet last year, and had a booth, he didn't fair so well.

meatay

Definitely, that sounds like a plan. I'm going to try to make it, sad I missed the burlington meet.

The Burlington swap meet was nice, and bigger than expected. I went with the express intention to only look and not buy! But I bought a Habu 2 with flaps and retracts. But now I don't want to fly it b/c it's too pretty :confused:

I'll be in London on the 14th, but here's hoping I'll have another chance to meet up with some of you guys.

BTW, I saw it asked so real name = Jordan

IMG_2479.JPG

Lorenzo

I'll be in London on the 14th, but here's hoping I'll have another chance to meet up with some of you guys.

Can't say I blame ya. And yes, hopefully we can all arrange some sort of meet and greet/fly-day sometime. I'm in the process of building one of Nerdnic's designs - the 800mm spitfire speed model, maybe we can have a race with that fancy new jet.

severed

The Burlington swap meet was nice, and bigger than expected. I went with the express intention to only look and not buy! But I bought a Habu 2 with flaps and retracts. But now I don't want to fly it b/c it's too pretty :confused:

BTW, I saw it asked so real name = Jordan

View attachment 39352

Very nice!

mrstamp80

Forgot to mention I had a buddy that bought a evader rxr for $120 on clearance at the lhs. It sat in our shop at work next to his bench for the whole summer til he got enough balls to fly it......Looked Really good sitting there..

He flew it for about 15 seconds before he lost orientation and out of sight. ........ At least the electronics were salvageable.

severed

Anyone found any good shops in the area? The shop in Burlington is a joke when it comes to planes, helis and quads.

Lorenzo

I'll have to check it out.

Definitely should, friendly staff and a huge selection of parts. Their electronics selection is ok and they carry a fair amount of models, but it's the parts selection where they really shine. Prices are fair and from what I've been told they keep a good Amazon inventory as well. Their actual website is more of an information page and not so much of an actual online store.

Last edited:

mrstamp80

All we got near me is the Hobbytown usa in mooresville. Heck they don't even stock 8x4 props, let alone most common 6,7,8,9 inch.But they have a nice selection of 12-18'' woody props. Or when you are lucky enough to find a prop you need.. They stick a giant sticky bar code sticker on the blade itself. Good luck trying to get that to balance after you spend 30 mins getting all the sticky stuff off it.

I generally use online www.headsuphobby.com shipping on all orders $2 They are out of Florida so it usually arrives in 2-3 days if you order before noon even on saturdays. They have been great to deal with.

Garret at www.altitudehobbies.com has been great to deal with. I ordered a Naze32 FCB and it is bad. He is sending me another free of charge, now that one is lost in the mail (been 2 1/2 weeks) I emailed him and he is sending out another one to free of charge. Sucks that the post office lost it but he is trying his best to make good on it. Great customer service.

Then www.valuehobbies.com has been good to me as well. Also cheap shipping usually about $4 arrives quickly.

Don't get me started with hobbyking... $17 to ship 3 rolls of colored packing tape that are $1.20 per roll????? Or 2 3s 1000 mah batteries @ $6 apiece then $14 to ship them? I will just stick with being cheap. It allows me to stay in the hobby.

Who does everyone else generally buy from?

Lorenzo

I felt the same about HobbyKing until their Eastern US warehouse opened up in...Arkansas I think it is. Anyway, with that warehouse open their shipping is down to normal prices. I also buy locally from King RC in King and Anderson RC in Thomasville. I too have heard great things about HeadsUp and I need to remember them the next time I make an online purchase.

sierra_bravo

Add me to the list

I am also in the charlotte NC 28227 area. I am a new pilot but hey I am always trying to meet new pilots.

mrstamp80

Did anyone make it to the Statesville swap meet? Being v-day I decided not to get on the wife's bad side, Quietly thinking Joe Nall starts mothers day weekend.... So, i stuck with the v-day ordeal. On a side note, everyone enjoying the ICE outside?