North County Mini Maker Faire, Aug 16-17th, 2018

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I know I shared this on another thread, but I figured I would throw it out here as well for anyone in the Southern California area that's interested.

This weekend, the Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum (http://agsem.com/) will be host to another Mini Maker Faire. If you have no idea what a Maker Faire is, well, it's kind of what we, as the Flite Test Community, do. It's people who MAKE things. Woodworkers. Computer techs. Costume makers. 3D printers. Metalworkers.

This weekend, the Palomar RC Flyers club will be at North County Mini Maker Faire (https://northcounty.makerfaire.com/) showing off some of our Flite Test creations, drones, UMX planes, and helping kids build some FT STEM chuck gliders. I'll also be there giving away a balsa trainer (needs motor and electronics; I honestly don't have the space for it, so I figured I'd donate it to someone who's interested in the hobby!), and just talking to anyone interested in Palomar RC Flyers, drones, planes, helicopters, Flite Test, RC flight in general, and maybe even some other Maker things that spill over into our hobby, like soldering, 3D printing, HAM radio...

You can also see tractors from a steampunk era - LITERALLY. They've got people who come out and drive around in steam powered tractors, as well as display all sorts of gas, diesel, and steam motors for things like shucking corn off of the cob, making wheat and corn flour, generating power...Even if you're not into things that Maker Faire has to offer, this is a really neat museum to partake in for the Father's Day weekend. :)

And, lastly, if there's anyone who wants to meet me, I'll be there both days. :) Just look for Doug, aka Sprzout. I'll be the short, fat, bald guy wearing a Palomar RC Flyers t-shirt. :)

sprzout

Mentor
Well, I am writing this toward the end of day 2 of Maker Faire, to report that we are out of STEM chuck gliders that a donor who wishes to remain anonymous supplied to me (you know who you are, thank you VERY much!), as well as out of Balsa gliders that our local Hobby Shop, Discount Hobby Warehouse, donated.

The kids clearly loved it, and more than a few parents asked about building bigger planes. So the Flite Test name was thrown around quite a bit (in good ways, mind you!) as we got people interested. Here’s a few pics from both days:
8074711B-3385-4D58-89D1-1C999D853350.jpeg
D9FBD09A-A209-4959-BFE0-70DF12F55A14.jpeg
10E96453-A6E0-45BD-BD1B-C3D63C152C15.jpeg
47D4EF12-042F-4B6C-BBBA-6984C62CBDEA.jpeg
0008F45B-8F57-43EC-8EBE-62497ADB6F7F.jpeg
61B25209-0B04-4739-BA8F-2F7B86D29722.jpeg
3720DAA7-D756-4653-8DA5-42622B7A67ED.jpeg
8620CBE0-1DB0-4344-9E5C-A125AF013A36.jpeg
F1948C49-3019-470C-99D3-2B06FD877337.jpeg
6DE9B3CD-B6CB-4DF1-8C9E-5FC39EDED894.jpeg

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Looks like a fun time and looks like you had some traffic. Very cool.

That Warship Combat Club looks pretty cool too. :)

sprzout

Mentor
Looks like a fun time and looks like you had some traffic. Very cool.

That Warship Combat Club looks pretty cool too. :)

Those guys are AWESOME. Last year, they had a battle pond and actual battleships that fire ball bearings. They run thin packing tape over the sides of the boats so you can hit it and "sink" the boat (it only sinks about 2-3 inches; all of the electronics are sealed and they put floats directly under the guns), but's REALLY cool to see it. They wanted to do it again this year, but we didn't have time to get it set up - we only had 2 months notice from planning date to actual day of the Faire. Otherwise, we might've had actual full on flight demos, rather than me playing with an Inductrix Drone in the field where the kids were pitching chuck gliders. :)