North East GA flyers?

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Hey all,

Just wondering who is around in NE Ga. I am in the Gainesville GA area near lake liner. Looking to get together with some pilots and possibly fly FPV or get a group together. There are a couple of clubs around here but also looking for people who have fields, parks or places that fly. Looking for easy and safe places to fly not necessarily clubs.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
No one? :p There are a few clubs up here. One that I know is mainly large gassers. Im hopeful the other one has a decent electric presence.

ridepate

Brian,
The son and I fly either on the field at WJPS (Braselton)or across the street at the middle-schools new soccer-field and their parking-lot. I've seen some guys flying in Oakwood right down from the Wal-Mart, a yet developed lot with pavement. Been flying for 30-years and now it's just Li-Pos for us. Not interested in the club thing anymore. Been there,done that. We are going tomorrow!

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Brian,
The son and I fly either on the field at WJPS (Braselton)or across the street at the middle-schools new soccer-field and their parking-lot. I've seen some guys flying in Oakwood right down from the Wal-Mart, a yet developed lot with pavement. Been flying for 30-years and now it's just Li-Pos for us. Not interested in the club thing anymore. Been there,done that. We are going tomorrow!

I live near that non developed area its perfect but im scared of all the no trespassing signs. It is a perfect place. My wife does not want me to fly there. I want to though.. I fly behind Blackshear Place baptist church im a member of in that back field.

What is WJPS?

Here is a video from behind the church sorry for the shaky video it was very windy and camera only would fit on the side. :)

I am thinking of Joining the gainesville club this next year. http://www.gamtnrc.org/

Last edited:

ridepate

Didn't know or notice any N-T signs, so mark that one off. WJPS is the now-closed Primary-School on Hwy.53 in Hoschton/Braselton. It has a killer field but it has a lot of light-poles and soccer-goals to dodge..lol. Across the street and really you can't see it from 53, is West-Jackson Intermediate. Nice smooth parking lot and a un-used,as of yet, 100-yard field. Little sketchy due to the tree line, but is doable. We flew, unregistered lol , there yesterday.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Yep unfortunitly here is the sign. I really dont think i could say I did not see it if the cops stopped me.. Its huge. Part of the reason I may join the local club is a safe stressfree flight haven..

image.jpg

ridepate

We fly outlaw......Not knocking clubs, but the couple I visited , including the one you are looking at, just acting like a newbie, were full of a bunch of a-holes....Been there, done that. That sign must be newish? Never noticed it before.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
We fly outlaw......Not knocking clubs, but the couple I visited , including the one you are looking at, just acting like a newbie, were full of a bunch of a-holes....Been there, done that. That sign must be newish? Never noticed it before.

I plan on visiting this spring we will see if i dont get a good vibe i may not do it. I was a member of Fayette Flyers in the 90s and it was an awsome club. I am scared it was a one time luck of the draw. They are 100 miles away so not doable. There was a club electric drone society that lost their field that are tring to get stuff going around here also. It seems like a good group of guys. Mainly small electrics. They have a FB page.. Meet one of the guys have yet to fly. I hate to fly by my self gets to boring after 1-2 flights.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
This where you talking about? Any one ever fly over the non built neighborhood?

school.png

Im thinking of some fun low flying FPV wing over the undeveloped negborhood?

Last edited:

ridepate

You can get back there. It was gated, but the gates are gone. We scoped it out Sunday but there was a lot of stick-ups everywhere. Look 100 yards North across 53 and you should see the field I was talking about. I'm up-loading a vid as we speak. Hoschton-park in your pic is the sorta flyable one.. lots of stuff to dodge tho.

Last edited:

ridepate

Right now all the portable soccer-goals are gone from Hoschton-Park, it's just the light-poles that are a menace. It was posted "The field is closed" this past Sunday, I guess due to wetness on the field, so we went across the street. I prefer across the street really. No walking-trail around the field like H-Park.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Yah this is where I fly. I have sort of permission from my church. If you stand on the upper part of the road next to the soccer field you basically eye is higher, so you end up flying out over the gym and parkinglot. I did not realize that I was over those buildings until I strapped a camera to my plane. LOL It gets a tad windy though.. You do have powerlines, and light pools to contend with also. I have came up with a decent pattern that works well. I however have not been able to drive in 6 months. That should change on the 18th so I haven't flown much besides my fpv vapor in front of my house. ..

school.png

ridepate

That looks as big or bigger than the park? Was that a FPV flight?

No FPV yet. I bought this plane specifically for my first FPV set-up as it's designed for FPV. It was just equipped with a GoPro. I'm still a little confused as what to buy as far as FPV equipment goes. I've watched most of FTs FPV videos, but I'm still confused.......I want a total package, but do not want to spend 500.00 on one. Any suggestions?