Help! Nose gear help

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I am trying to successfully make some hand-crafted nose gear. I have tried an idea and it generally works. But it has two fail points.

My attempt:
I use a chop sticks for the main strut. And use landscaping wire for the angled piece which acts like a spring.
I sandwich two pieces of FB with card stock on the outside, with a chopsick sized hole as a base I then make a shallow groove above and below on the stick, and make to retainer clips from card stock with slightly smaller holes.
At the bottom of the stick, I drill two parallel landscaping wire-sized holes, about 1/2" apart, 1/2" from the tip. I then make a u in the end of the landscaping wire. One side as thick as the chopstick. The long side goes into the hole closest to the tip. After it's in it's folded toward the tip and back under at an angle. In my build I used 45°, maybe I should have used 60°.

Then I bend it around the wheel and 90° perpendicular to the bend angle to be the axle for the thin nose wheel. I make mine with the bottle cap method. And pool noodle.
(Reserved for pic)

When I load it, the gear bends. And wavers side to side. The noodle turns sideways. This wheel is not hooked to steering, but designed as a possibility.

How do you keep your wheel on?
And how do you find the right stiffness for the strut?
What do you use?

GMalatrasi

I've had the idea of filling a drinking straw with expanding foam to make light weight spars for a while... This might be a good application too.
(If it works at all)

GMalatrasi

I'll be watching :cool:
I may have miss-worded that slightly... I was suggesting you try it.
I don't have plans to try it in any timely fashion at this point. My current project has oddly shaped spars that wouldn't work well with this method.
It's just one of those ideas that one leaves for later.

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm doing a Nose Gear on my Storch.... I used 5/32" Piano Wire. It's very springy, and will rebound well during impact.
Inside the Fuse floor, I glued a sheet of Thin Plywood, the width of the floor section.
Then, a 3/4" square of the same Wood, on the outside of the Fuse, directly under the big piece - sandwiching the Foam.....

Then, I drilled a 5mm hole (approx) through both pieces of Wood, and insert a 5mm Brass Tube (4mm I.D.).

Lock a 5/32" Collet on the Gear Shaft, at about the height that you want the Gear to be.

On the inside, place a 1/4" x 1" spring, of decent tension, and lock down the top with a Nose Gear steerable Arm (which screws down exactly like the Collet on the bottom.
Attach Arm to a Rod, to your Servo!

You also want to make sure that your Main Gear is slightly BEHIND the COG!!

FoamyDM

Do you find the brass tube at the big box hardware store? I never look, but I'm thinking it's time.

I just ordered collets the size of the landscaping wire and the 1/8" rod I have.
Here's a pic of my current project's wheel placement

as you can see I put the main gear behind the CG. (on the pictures left nacell front.)
Edit: big pic Links

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
I can't get the pictures to expand...
The Main Gear looks like it's placed correctly.

Finding 1/8" ID Tube should be really easy. I get my 5/32" Stuff at a Hobby Shop. I suppose a Hardware Store should have it. I haven't looked, because I picture having to buy 1500% MORE than I'll ever use!! :p
I could be wrong there...

FoamyDM

I suppose one splurge to buy 1- 4x overpriced brass tube can't hurt.

I put the main gear in a spot so they take any impact before the props, and so when I nose up, It won't cause a blade strike. These motors have a TON of Power on a 4S and I'm really worried and excited about it. I saw another build post using EVA foam for the wheels...
SMH :eek:o_O
DUH! this is what I should be using for something stiffer... I feel a bit foolish now. the pool noodle is great for wide cushy gear, like tundra tires,
I have a couple block of the stuff from a LARPer wanting help on their armor. (EVA is what they use.) so I have enough to experiment with and get the plane where I need.

Also I just needed to Double up the landscape wire and create a shopping cart wheel setup would work well for stiffness
I can't wait to try this tonight! ::D:giggle:

I'm still interested to hear how others make their gear. (nose or otherwise.)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just a heads up!

be careful when making a landing gear especially a nose wheel installation. The greatest issue is that often people put great strength into the floor of the installation only to find that the floor is ripped out entirely in a rough landing/crash.

My preference is to install the nose gear supports to the SIDES of the fuselage where the "Meat" is far greater in resisting the upwards and rearwards forces of a less than perfect landing. Often I just use a ply support on one side of the fuselage and run the leg down off centre out of the bottom of the fuselage. Then with a single bend towards the centre of the plane's axis. I locate and fit the wheel centrally. The handling is good and it is quite robust without huge extra weight.

Just what works for me!

have fun!

FoamyDM

It's part of the FTFC'19 fantasy build challenge. The plane is an artist rendition of a Crimson Skies -Heaven's
Spade faction- Carrier. I have a springwing drill plane to build yet, which sits in the open bottom.

I realize I need to link the Ailerons, so I have my drop mechanism servo available....

Get it flying first... this week! :) I worry I can't without a taxi

PoorManRC

Master member
I will concur with @Hai-Lee .... In fact, I'm going to take two pieces of light Balsa, glued to the inner sides, bracing the Plywood on each side.

PoorManRC

Master member
No, really! I almost can count on hard landings.... Any extra reinforcement is good. Just watch the weight!

An accidental Endo on that Nose Gear could be pretty rough. :eek:

Keno

Not sure what you are trying to do here maybe this attachment can offer you some thought for your problem. Fly Happy

Attachments

• Nose gear.pdf
    178.3 KB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
Not sure what you are trying to do here maybe this attachment can offer you some thought for your problem. Fly Happy

For Me, that's BRILLIANT!!! 👏👏👏👏👏:cool:(y)(y) Thank You!

@FoamyDM - HERE'S A self contained unit, that could work in a variety of Aircraft....
I was trying to describe similar, but @Keno DROVE IT HOME with that simple yet excellent drawing!!

I'm getting a feeling that my total LACK of CAD/CAM experience is going to be a major detriment......

Keno

For Me, that's BRILLIANT!!! 👏👏👏👏👏:cool:(y)(y) Thank You!

@FoamyDM - HERE'S A self contained unit, that could work in a variety of Aircraft....
I was trying to describe similar, but @Keno DROVE IT HOME with that simple yet excellent drawing!!

I'm getting a feeling that my total LACK of CAD/CAM experience is going to be a major detriment......
Ah, my friend I love my CAD I have always liked to draft or draw thing that I build. CAD has offer me that. Take care

PoorManRC

Master member
Ah, my friend I love my CAD I have always liked to draft or draw thing that I build. CAD has offer me that. Take care

I may be an Old, Retired Fart.... But I understand that I SHOULD have jumped on to that Wagon in the early 80's. I missed a LOT of valuable learning about CAD, that would have really helped me now.
I'm grateful that there's Guys like You out there...
I may ask for a favor every now and then!! :p I promise I won't try to be annoying.