Not enough Power?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I just realized this is in a Reaktor, not an FT 3D. I have one and use this motor on it, a 30amp esc and a 9x5 EP prop. It is 306g without a battery in it, but it's been in a few fender benders with the ground, so it's got a just a bit more hot glue on it now...

I think the beef should be plenty for vertical on this plane. The whole FT3D kit before removing it from the bag is 320g and you'll lose close to half of that once you take the parts out of the full sheets but AUW minus battery is listed as 439g. Strange...

Longbaorder23

Dang! I take it you run 3s? what battery? and i was also considering going up up in prop length and pitch and down in kv. yours is so heavy! How does yours run? I was considering a larger esc too, 10 seemed too small. i use 10a on my bonsai, works great there.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I run mine on a 3S 1300. It goes vertical but really should be lighter for true 3D. I just ordered some higher Kv motors for some flexibility in power. They aren't for any specific plane other than wanting some more power on the Versa. Using the eCalc, I think I have a good balance of weight with much more thrust. Rambling now and that doesn't help with your current problem..

My Reaktor will go vertical but it's between 3/4 and full throttle to do it. It pulls fine and launches itself with a very light toss. It would probably fly right out of my hand if I was better...:rolleyes:

What kind of battery connectors are you using? We need to figure out a way for you to test the amp draw. If it's higher than it should be or too close to the max on some of the components, we can figure out what is happening...

Longbaorder23

maybe my JST styler connectors are bottle necking the flow? should i upgrade to gold plated?
edit: think its rediculous if i got a 30A esc and a 1200kv and a 9x5, and ran 4S lipo? the 4s would certainly make up some of the extra thrust for that extra weight. id learn to be less throttle hungry! Think its worth a try atleast? if not i could just use a similar setup to xuzme, on 3s though. but is 4s crazy? id would get me some extra speed, which im comfortable with. a bit more performance. Worth atleast a try? Thanks!

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
JST's are kinda small. I use Deans on all of my stuff. Have you noticed any heat in the wiring at the connector?

for good vertical climinbg you want more thrust than the weight of the plane, also you want thrust and not speed. Which means turning a larger prop with less pitch using a slower spinning prop.

I dont know the exact details but maybe your actually not getting enough RPM on 2s, i run an 8x4 on 3s for my pizza box flier although that is heavier and lacks vertical performance but im running a 1200kv motor.

You will need to find out how much thrust you are getting fromyour current setup but its likely not enough if you want to climb vertically fast. approaching 2:1 thrust to weight will give you decent climb.

A watt meter will stop you destroying motors as you experiement altjhough you can get away extimating based on manufacteres recomendations and the weight of the motor (plenty of info on rc groups)