Not in a hurry? Skip the hot glue

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Damo - when you are laminating, are you peeling the paper off and gluing foam to foam?

Depends on the part. Typically I don't remove the paper for things like double layer tailfeathers where I want to keep the strength of the paper. If I am making blocks for carving (like nose cones etc) I remove all the paper in the layers.

Got the TBIII yesterday (they didn't have the thick and quick). Will put some test parts together and see.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I use liquid and somewhat slow drying glues for almost everything I build using FB.

As things can take time to dry/set and I often build more than one plane at a time I stumbled upon a way to glue and hold those fold-up fuselages without clamps, weights, extra hands, or any real restraining device and it works without damaging the FB at all.

I minwax/seal the fuselage outer surfaces prior to folding. When dry I apply the glue and use cheap clear packing tape across the glued edges to hold the paper flap down and the pieces in perfect alignment until dry/set. I only wipe the tape with a finger so that I remove the air bubbles, DO NOT APPLY MUCH PRESSURE!

I normally use lengths of around 70 to 100mm of the tape with the ends turned over on themselves so I have non-sticky flaps to grab easily when the glue is dry and the tape is to be removed!

Here is a very poor pic of the tape being used to hold a fuselage together whilst the glue dried. (From my Slick Trick build thread).

SUNP0013.JPG

It works for me!

have fun!