Not quite a Newbie!

loconut

It feels good to be called a newbie again. I flew my first R/C in 1956 when I was 12. It was an Esquire with an OS Max 15R/C and a single channel. The receiver was a tube & transistor driving a rubber band powered escapement for rudder only control. The transmitter was a ground based Bramco. I flew Rudder only w/engine hi/lo for the next 10 years. I tried 8 channel reed relay control for a year or so, then on to digital proportional controls. All this on 27 Mhz Citizen Band. It was not very reliable, but it was all we had until 72 Mhz. I flew my first foam plane in 2002, and scratch built a profile F6F Hellcat in early 2003. I have been following Flite Test ever since I found the site several years back. I have a Jenny ( repaired several times), a PT-17 Bipe not quit finished!
loconut

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Welcome to the forum!

I dont quite have the experience you've had but I've been in and out of the hobby for 25 years so I do know where you're coming from.

With the proliferation of lipo batteries, brushless motors, and flight controllers this hobby is a whole new world from what it was 20 years ago! Fun to be had for all!

Look forward to seeing you around!

daxian

Elite member
"With the proliferation of lipo batteries, brushless motors, and flight controllers this hobby is a whole new world from what it was 20 years ago! Fun to be had for all!"
at least for a short while lol....

Hondo76251

Legendary member
"With the proliferation of lipo batteries, brushless motors, and flight controllers this hobby is a whole new world from what it was 20 years ago! Fun to be had for all!"
at least for a short while lol....
meh... cats out of the bag... can't be put back. Even if they are stupid enough to make rules no one CAN comply with it won't last that long. Remember when they came out and said you can't operate a drone for money unless you have a commercial pilots license...

daxian

Elite member
@Hondo76251 ....yup seen it all before ..cb radio,dog license, community tax,the move from 27mhz for radio gear shut me out of the hobby in the 80's (had just gotten my first rc setup ..used it once only !! as a new father/family man ,could not afford to restart /buy more gear ) ...now retired, in need of a hobby and gear is at a reasonable price, time to try again...butttttt...... seems as soon as something gets popular "gov" needs to make money or regulate it .
money...money...money ...the root of all evil !!
hope it all goes to pot for them and we can resume/continue our healthy hobby !!

and im sorry ...welcome to the forums !!!

Last edited: