Not RC, but I have the hobby to thank for it!

earthsciteach

I drive a 1993 Honda Accord with 285,000+ miles on it. I could buy a new(er) car, but that would just be silly. I can strap my canoe to the roof without caring about the scratches. I can stuff my muddy, white water kayak through the trunk with the back seat down and not care about the fabric. Its just an AWESOME car!

I've been having issues with the transmission control computer over the last few months. I'd been able to get the transmission to shift so I could drive the 40 miles to the school where I teach. It sat all summer without being driven. Upon putting it back into operation for the upcoming school year, the tranny just wouldn't come out of 2nd gear. Its called, "limp mode."

I pulled the TCU (transmission control unit) to troubleshoot. It was definitely that computer causing the issue. A new computer through ebay costs $200. A used one from a junkyard costs $100. Buy through Honda and plan on at least doubling the $200.

I fixed it for $2.73. Thanks to the RC hobby, I have a decent understanding of electronics and circuit boards. One 15 ohm resistor was burned out and one 33 microfarad capacitor had leaked out. I went to Radio Shack, bought the replacement electronics and soldered them in. $2.73! Previously to the RC hobby, I would have simply bought a new computer and paid someone to replace it. I'm pretty damned happy with myself, right now!

sandblaster

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? Cool fix. Did kind of the same thing, again because of skill learned in my hobbies. Had a RV AC unit acting up. Finally tracked it down to the DIP switch on the circuit board. One of the DIP's was bad. Radio Shack for less then $5, unsoldered the old DIP, soldered in the new. Been working great for some time now. Love the cheap fixes. Replacement board was a couple of hundred as well.

Fishbonez

As a mechanic I say SHAME ON YOU!! Do you realize I could have made a fortune replacing that TCM for you. DRAT!!! :cool:
Good Job Teach got to admit I would have paid 200 bucks so I have to say you are a step ahead of me in the ole electronics thing. Im also glad you did not have to reflash that TCm cuz boy that can be a pain

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Feeling it, teach... I fixed the power supply on my wife's computer the other day using similar techniques...

earthsciteach

Bonez, I am just beside myself with my car today! If anyone out there knows anything about PA auto inspection, then you know it is one of the most stringent in the nation. My POS car passed today without any work required! Then, I fixed the shifting problem for less than $3! I am definitely happy with myself, right now!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Bonez, I am just beside myself with my car today! If anyone out there knows anything about PA auto inspection, then you know it is one of the most stringent in the nation. My POS car passed today without any work required! Then, I fixed the shifting problem for less than $3! I am definitely happy with myself, right now!
That's an awesome feeling being able to replace just a bad capacitor and that totally fixing the problem. We do this on motherboards and LCD monitors at my computer shop on almost a daily basis. It's pretty cool!!! Congrats!!! :)