Not thrilled with the mini power pod

jpot1

Elite member
Well the title says it all. Just started building the minis and even focusing on just pushers - bravo and ft22, it doesn’t seem like the skewers will line up as the plans don’t all highlight the skewer locations. I have built a large number of the full size FT plans with only a single pod that I swap and only have one 2205 so swappable is a must.

I was thinking of increasing the height of the firewall and much like the full size using a double skewer up front with a single skewer towards the back. Anyone else done anything like that?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well the title says it all. Just started building the minis and even focusing on just pushers - bravo and ft22, it doesn’t seem like the skewers will line up as the plans don’t all highlight the skewer locations. I have built a large number of the full size FT plans with only a single pod that I swap and only have one 2205 so swappable is a must.

I was thinking of increasing the height of the firewall and much like the full size using a double skewer up front with a single skewer towards the back. Anyone else done anything like that?

OK so I can give you some tips with those questions,
1. I've never really used the skewer holes. What I like to do is find a spot on the power pod, where I want the skewer to go through and punch a hole through the fuse and the pod at the same time in that general area, then I'll take out the power pod and make sure it is in a good spot, next I'll slide it back in, slide in the skewer through the hole I already made and then looking at the skewer from the front and the top make sure it is perpendicular to the the tail feathers, and slide it through to the other side.

2. I to only have one, 2205 motor, so what I do is I make a power pod, for each plane and randomly punch out holes like described above, then whenever I go flying I'll bring each power pod for each plane (I write the plane's name on each pod) and swap the motor between power pods and use it that way. I hope this all makes sense

as for what you were thinking. I think you might run into strength issues with the firewall with two skewers up front, maybe use just one? it might work!

Good luck.

JDill

I'm with Grifflyer in that you should pick a spot you want for the skewer to go through. Just keep in mind which models you might be using the pod in for placement. Some of them (like the F22) need it high up on the pod. Then make a paper template of the hole locations on the pod that can be used to mark the location on the planes themselves.

I highly recommend taping the pod to reinforce it too. I use a strip of fiberglass reinforced tape the full length of the pod, across the firewall, and back. Make it long enough to wrap the ends into the back of the pod so it still slides in without the tape causing problems. Cut holes as needed for motor mounting.

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
Ended up going in a slightly different direction with the goal of at least having a common pod for all the pushers. The attached has the firewall design I did. So far this fits perfectly in the mini ft22.

View attachment mini_power_pod.pdf

Just used it as a template to add the skewer holes in the spacer plate of the plans and created a single skewer hole in the rear /top of the pod. Will take a picture on the ft22 later.