Not your average FT Cub pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The smallest packs I fly with are 2700mah 3s and in this flight it's a 4000mah 3s and I also fly on a 4200mah 3s.

BATTLEAXE: roughly 6000ft, maybe a tad more.
A 4000mah 3s will give how much flight time and are you running at half throttle?
Too high, the OP should probably delist the video as there are active groups of modellers going round reporting people who violate the ANO.
What's ANO?

IanSR

Air Navigation Order, the dumbarse thing that rules us in the UK now which since last year had restricted model flying to line of sight and 400 foot altitude maximum (1000 foot if BMFA member and flight is not inside class D airspace).

Until last July we had no restrictions, not that it really stops anybody, especially out in the sticks lol. Wish I had the balls to do some long distance flights like that but I live waaaay to close to a certain airport to even think it.

*I am not dissing Steve, but I do know there are groups of people actively trawling YouTube and other social media platforms for ANO violators and reporting them to the Police, hell even a Facebook algorithm turned someone in themselves the other week automatically when the GPS data put the person inside a FRZ, so best be careful what's posted and when hint hint.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Air Navigation Order, the dumbarse thing that rules us in the UK now which since last year had restricted model flying to line of sight and 400 foot altitude maximum (1000 foot if BMFA member and flight is not inside class D airspace).

Until last July we had no restrictions, not that it really stops anybody, especially out in the sticks lol. Wish I had the balls to do some long distance flights like that but I live waaaay to close to a certain airport to even think it.

*I am not dissing Steve, but I do know there are groups of people actively trawling YouTube and other social media platforms for ANO violators and reporting them to the Police, hell even a Facebook algorithm turned someone in themselves the other week automatically when the GPS data put the person inside a FRZ, so best be careful what's posted and when hint hint.
Is ANO your governing model aircraft registration board or is it more of a commercial aircraft thing?

IanSR

I agree with everything you say, unfortunately I live south of Watford so don't have the luxury of not having any air traffic to contend with, us and other clubs in the area have had the Police turn up already wanting to "see paperwork", I'm of the same attitude as you and would if there when they arrived, would be inclined to tell them to mind their own business until this is law (that may not happen because of pro-rogation) but unfortunately I am a minority in a club full of obendiant drones (no pun intended).

I just wanted you to know about what was going on in some groups.

@BATTLEAXE the Air Navigation Order is the legal framework, I.e. regulation than govern air space use, the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority write and enforce them) think if it as whatever the regulations are called that regulate US air space, and the FAA is your version of our CAA.

Gazoo

It's funny how someone can go out and buy an assault rifle and a thousand rounds of ammo, no problem. But your little foam airplane is the REAL danger.

Be careful, that thing is made of really scary foam board... You could put a nasty ding in someones car after all.

Chuppster

Steve, I just want to pop in here an encourage you to consider the hobby. I personally don't care if you fly FPV long range, but by breaking the law you have the potential to put a bad light on us all.

Chuppster

And I'm sure you never EVER speed when driving eh?
Which is more dangerous, me flying over farmland or someone going fast in a car?
Everyone speeds and that's perfectly acceptable but my foam board plane is some global threat to humanity.

Don't get me wrong, I speed too and don't drive a v6 for the fuel economy but it's time people started standing up against the rc rules that idiots in government are trying to push with zero understanding of what they are trying to regulate.

And I said I did 18-20 miles total distance, not my distance from home.
My maximum distance from home was such that I could still see my launch site in my video feed.

Steve,

I'm not trying to argue that what you are doing is dangerous. I don't think your little cub is a threat to human life.

What I am saying is some people are looking for an excuse to keep us hobbyists grounded. When you break the law, there's the potential that you become that excuse. It's up to you to decide if you want to be that guy.

It's illegal for you to fly beyond LOS with your cub. And it's illegal to fly FPV without a spotter. Whether the law makes sense or not, it's in the books.

Chuppster

I know several of the "snob" type, and I struggle to not be one myself. My goal is not to deprive anyone of their fun but at the same time I don't want to encourage activities that may threaten the hobby. Laws in this area are complicated because, for the most part, we know more than the legislators do about our technology and aircraft, but they know more about the big picture of things. I'm not saying that makes them always right, but the laws are here and it's our job to respect them. I'd say if you want to fly over populated areas beyond LOS you need to get permission from your local governing body. But, I know not everyone is responsible enough to do that, and I just hope it doesn't end up putting us in a worse position than the laws we currently have.

Chuppster

Just enjoy the hobby while you can however you choose and worry about the consequences of flying a FB plane at altitude FPV without a spotter, because if it isn't him, someone else will. And I guarantee there are many who do, he is just one of the ones you know about. If you choose to operate with in the law that is your choice. It is just as easy to run your plane into a car or someone's head at a sanctioned air park as it is anywhere else. No one is absolutely safe from all of life's uncontrollable variables. You may be the safest person you know and take all the precautions and fully live within the law and still tomorrow, you could be run down by a drunk driver, fall down a manhole, or be hit by a stray bullet from a robbery in your local convenience store. Gotta love life's little surprises

Very true. Life is full of surprises. You can try and minimize them but you can't ever rid yourself of all of life's problems.

If there weren't people trying to take advantage of the hobbyists who break the laws established by our government, I wouldn't care about him breaking our laws. However, there are, so I'm just asking him to consider that the consequences for his actions may extend beyond him. Some people haven't grown up to that point yet, and some people never do. It's just the world we live in.

skymaster

Elite member
that look kind of neat, but also stupid we were designated an airspace with the altitude of 400 ft max. just like all other planes. a propeller plane has it's airspace and all other commercial aircraft have their airspace also. this is done so there are no accidents. i know that some times here in the USA some of our airforce planes pass by real low or even heli's . can you imagine if you hit any of these planes. I would delete that video. loved the last part as you could see the ground looks awesome. just be carefull.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/17_phak_ch15.pdf

FDS

Elite member
Here in the UK, we are still limited to up to 400ft or 1000ft if you are a suitably qualified BMFA or similar exempted group pilot at a field away from controlled airspace.
Military aircraft are restricted to certain areas for low flying, it’s a small country!

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
VFR Pilots are often below 500ft here too. I have had one so low over my flying spot (on the edge of town) that I thought it was going to land. Sadly I was busy landing my model so didn’t get footage.
Many of them are far more dangerous to themselves than anything I might be flying. I still choose to stay under 400ft.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
When flying outside of the allowed flight area or in exceeding the legal maximum ceiling there is one aspect of aviation safety you must be ignoring. Any commercial or civil aircraft has the right to fly at any attitude it requires to ensure the safety of the passengers and crew.

Regardless of flight paths and normal flight corridor altitude restrictions/recommendations. If a civil aircraft strays outside its normal flight path or altitude AND it collides with a model aircraft also outside of its legally required altitude restriction then the responsibility for the incident rests entirely with the operator of the model aircraft! Sadly all of the input about the dangers and illegality of the antics of the "Not average" RC pilot just makes the antics more likely to be pursued if only to enrage those who follow his "Achievements".

The best response to such antics is to ignore them and the offending posts. Without an audience the drive to show off his antics is lost and he will not get his reward! Eventually he will be caught and then he will bleat loudly and he will not understand that he bought it all upon himself!

Some heed advice and others must learn the hard way! It appears the OP is one who needs to learn the hard way! I just hope that no one must die before the lesson is learned!

Do not let his posts upset you too much and above all remember,

Have fun!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Just wanted to through my hat in the ring as a commercial rated pilot, part 107 commercial operator (UAS instructor now, yay), and hobbyist. The regs here in the US are a little bit clunky, especially with the non commercial use of unmanned aircraft now falling under FAR 101 there is a little bit of wiggle room. Best practice is to remain below 400' agl. I know this is rather limiting to those of you who are wanting to do long range/high altitude/sailplane flying but there are reasons for the regs. With roughly 100' of vertical separation there is a decent buffer zone between manned and unmanned traffic which keeps both parties safe. The reality of the situation is if you're flying through a camera you simply do not have the spatial awareness that you do if you're sitting in a cockpit. You may never see the manned traffic you're about to collide with and you do not have right of way over a manned aircraft with the way that current regs are written. I won't say that you're being irresponsible for flying beyond line of sight or above 400' (for hobby use ONLY) but you are assuming a lot more risk when you do. It is the responsibility of every airman to see and avoid traffic to avoid conflicts, and in their current state hobby grade aircraft DO NOT allow you to do that. If you're blasting around in clouds like that you're also going to be dealing with IFR traffic, which can also be in a state where see and avoid isn't possible and ATC is necessary to avoid traffic conflicts. ATC can't see you and consequentially can't vector the manned traffic around you. Basically what I'm trying to get at is, please be smart about the way you fly. There are lives at risk when you operate recklessly, and the controlling agency will throw the book at you if you mess up. The best way to avoid issues is to fly within the guidelines provided. If you have an altitude restriction it's not just there to restrict modelers, but to keep manned traffic separated. I'm 100% on board for modelers getting use of national airspace, but you have to recognize that it's a 2 way street and that airspace restrictions are there for a reason. Fly safe and smart and there won't be any issues, but if you're knowingly operating in a way that you shouldn't then there will be trouble for you. Use your head and make sure you're not encroaching on other airspace users. Fun is important, but safety is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.