Note to Self: Don't Do A Glide Test in the Wind Next To A Road

RC Dad

So I Finally have my 60" Boxler/SkyBox - trying to decide on the final name (aka the Axon from Ed at Experimental Airlines) - complete so I go out to do a glide test. Didn't realize it was as windy as it was so we go out to the side of the house to get out of the wind....You know where this is going....

So I do a few mellow and short tosses to my son just to see how it does. Seemed ok, at least not tail heavy. So I run with it and throw it up and catch it while running beneath it. Hard to see it that way so I decide to go for it....Get a good run going and really toss the thing in the air. Well it catches air and then gets beyond the house and catches a good stiff wind...the thing lifts up, glides and then wings over to the right - right into the middle of the road.

I am probably the first one on these boards that dinged up his plane to the point it needed repairs from a glide test...Oh well, got it patched up and waiting for the maiden flight some time tomorrow...

Videos to follow the maiden...wish me luck...I am hoping for longer than 20 seconds this time:rolleyes:

RC Dad

Maybe you need to start doing video of the glide test ;)

Look forward to seeing your maiden video...I really like the way the one I made flys. So much, I crashed it the second day of flying :eek: But repair was easy enough and I'm ready to go again.

Fishbonez

I am probably the first one on these boards that dinged up his plane to the point it needed repairs from a glide test...Oh well, got it patched up and waiting for the maiden flight some time tomorrow...

Videos to follow the maiden...wish me luck...I am hoping for longer than 20 seconds this time:rolleyes:

RC Dad
LOL AHH Thanks RCDad that really made my day. I could not help but chuckle because I see myself doing the very same thing and after my weekend of flying disaster I was feeling pretty down it is nice to know I am not the only goof in the RC world and I mean that in the nicest way. Thanks again that really cheered me up :D Looking forward to the maiden

RC Dad

Glad I could help!:) I really wish I would have gotten it on film.

I got into this hobby for fun, so why not have fun with all of it, even the unplanned events. You should have heard the ribbing I got from my boys...My skills as a pilot are so well known around our house that the oldest is fighting hard to not let me take his plane out to play without him...

Fishbonez

Very true and I try not to take myself to seriously because I got into this hobby for stress releif and I have to say it is a big stress relief for me. I love to fly because you really can not worry about things in life because its just you and the plane that is your only concern in those moments. I just had a weeken d of flying that if it could not go right it did not and seemed I was having a complete mesh of foam and was tired of fixing and was glad to see that I am not the only one who can really goof things up at times.

RC Dad

Quite true about the focus when flying. I know what it's like to have weekends like that. I am fairly slow in building my planes and every time I take one out, it crashes within 20 seconds (when I am flying them). So I have been doing a lot more building/repairing than flying since I got started in this hobby.

I Am hopeful the Boxler will set a new flight record for me. Thinking about having an experienced pilot maiden it and get it trimmed correctly and 2 mistakes high before I take control. Not sure if I will have the patience to wait. Stay tuned, film at 11:00 it will tell the story...

Fishbonez

Dont be scared just go for it. You have been at this for most fo the winter. It will be fine I got confidence

chanyote66

Iv had a few flight tests that went the wrong way... I had a 8' glider that was awesome until the wind caught it, it started to climb and then stall, falling straight back on its tail from about 20' up... turned the body into a noodle and tore the wing in half.

now I do glide tests with at least servos powered...

JohnnyV

Nice job...your eyes are way better than mine... I thought you made a fatal mistake by not having some color on that thing... I wouldn't have been able to see it.

Looks pretty Dang durable.