Now I need a receiver! Doh!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I don't even trust them for that. The distance was iffy on them, and sometimes you're flying 500-600' away from you (under the 400' limit, but that distance away), and they'll drop. I lost a couple of planes to intermittent signal at a distance. Fortunately, they crash landed in what we call "The Jungle", and not someone's house or anything, but having to climb through poison oak to get to it is NOT fun.
I’ve flown mine out to about 1000 feet with no issues, I don’t quite trust it that much though, that’s about as far as I would send it.

Bricks

Master member
To me it says their marketing is better. The modules are not expensive.

Either that or thousands and thousands of very satisfied customers you do not see very many companies copying FrSky receivers..

whackflyer

Master member
@basslord1124 , I have a PowerUp RD410 and love it, works flawless, payed all of $10.85 for it shipped. I ordered another for my brother and it would not bind to either of our TXs, so I contacted aloft hobbies customer support. They sent me a prepayed shipping label and I sent it back, they said they would test and see if they could send me a new one or not. On the orange rx receivers, my friend has 3 r615x’s and he has yet to have a problem.

Headbang

Master member
Lemon RX do the best small non Spektrum DSMX receivers IMO, small, light, excellent range and easy to set up. I have never had a single signal issue with the 6 I have.
Not to throw a big wrench in the mix...... but here it is. Every single DSMX lemon rx I have used so far without a remote rx has glitched out on me at short and long range. Same rx tho with an added remote rx has no issues. If it was just 1 I would chalk it up bad antenna placement, or 1 faulty unit. But this has been 3. 2 in the same plane, but completely moved the rx and rewired the power system with a new esc when I switch recievers. Take this info as you will. I am still using lemon recievers, just with a remote rx.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - you just don't want me to be bored do you? ;)

I'll start looking at the Jumper and add it to the sheet.

EDIT: One thing I notice right off Buzzbomb is that the jumper has a smaller screen than the X9D. I recall from your other thread that screen size was somewhat important to you. Based on the specs, it looks like the Jumper has a screen about the same size as the QX7. I'm currently in the process of adding the Jumper to the spreadsheet.
I saw your updated spreadsheet. Thank you for that. Based on the updated spreadsheet, and Caroline's information, I'm still sticking with what I chose. The Jumper is significantly less expensive, but the bigger screen on the Taranis is a real bonus for me. Caroline and Mad_Mechanic, thank you both.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - Question for you. You said you fly minis, what connector style do your servos use?

Are they normal JR/Futaba style plugs? Or are they the 'micro' servo connector style like this:
View attachment 124520

If you are using standard JR/Futaba style servo connections, then @ElectriSean has a good recommendation. The X6R is a simple 6-channel reciver. The RX6R is a slightly upgraded version, still supporting 6 channels but with enhanced range. typically there is a dollar difference in price.

IF your planes use the micro servo connector as pictured above, then your options from FrSky are significantly less. In fact you pretty much have only 1 option from FrSky at that point, the VD5M, but that's only a 5-channel receiver.

Now, if you use S.BUS then you are back to having a lot of options from FrSky for receivers.

These are the connectors to the receiver that I am familiar with:
ReceiverConnectors.jpg

I don't know what they are named. So many connector types for batteries and receivers and everything else. I'll have to build my own spreadsheet soon, just to remember them all!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Lemon RX do the best small non Spektrum DSMX receivers IMO, small, light, excellent range and easy to set up. I have never had a single signal issue with the 6 I have.
Like this? Does it work the Taranis X9D Plus SE I have chosen?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lemon-RX-F...134?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

I will admit that it is getting late for me. DSMX, Qxs95, aldfjdsalkjfadl. It's going on three A.M. I made the last two protocols up. Frustration. My son wants to try to fly my Tiny Trainer and it should be happening later today, but it can't fly. I don't have a bird that flies. I've got issues with my Power Pods. I think I'll toss those into my Tiny Trainer thread.

Meantime, if those receivers work with the trans I'm going to get, I'm just going to order them. I want us to fly!

basslord1124

Master member
@basslord1124 , I have a PowerUp RD410 and love it, works flawless, payed all of $10.85 for it shipped. I ordered another for my brother and it would not bind to either of our TXs, so I contacted aloft hobbies customer support. They sent me a prepayed shipping label and I sent it back, they said they would test and see if they could send me a new one or not. On the orange rx receivers, my friend has 3 r615x’s and he has yet to have a problem.

Yeah, so far I've been happy with it. Hope you get your brother's worked out. I have mainly bought the 6 channel versions. At least for right now, I've been pretty content using a max of 6 channels.

Ya know, I have heard so much mixed reviews on Orange receivers I've been unsure about trying them.

Bricks

Master member
Not to throw a big wrench in the mix...... but here it is. Every single DSMX lemon rx I have used so far without a remote rx has glitched out on me at short and long range. Same rx tho with an added remote rx has no issues. If it was just 1 I would chalk it up bad antenna placement, or 1 faulty unit. But this has been 3. 2 in the same plane, but completely moved the rx and rewired the power system with a new esc when I switch recievers. Take this info as you will. I am still using lemon recievers, just with a remote rx.

I am curious to at what is happening with your Lemons I have about 20 of them and have not had a problem. Which Lemons are you using as some are still only DSM2 compatible. DSM2 in some environment's can be an issue

He should not of done this but my nephew put a Lemon light receiver no satellite receiver ( the cheap $7 receiver ) in a 89 inch with a Fox 3000 engine and has flown it for 2 years this way I cringe every time he puts it up, but it has never glitched on him.

We are finding the new Orange receivers Gen 2`s with telemetry have been performing rock solid. At my club we have guys that have used them in everything from 3D Beast`s to giant Scale Citabria's so far so good.

Mad_Mechanic

@buzzbomb - As with many things, I would be careful about cheap ebay listings.

Here is the manufacturer's website for Lemon RX: http://www.lemon-rx.com

I would be highly skeptical of the quality of any ebay cheap lemon rx receiver. Lemon RX is already going to be china made compatible ('knockoff') of a spektrum receiver. So an ebay china knockoff of a china knockoff...

Bricks

Master member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lemon-RX-F...134?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

I will admit that it is getting late for me. DSMX, Qxs95, aldfjdsalkjfadl. It's going on three A.M. I made the last two protocols up. Frustration. My son wants to try to fly my Tiny Trainer and it should be happening later today, but it can't fly. I don't have a bird that flies. I've got issues with my Power Pods. I think I'll toss those into my Tiny Trainer thread.

Meantime, if those receivers work with the trans I'm going to get, I'm just going to order them. I want us to fly!

That particular receiver is for ultra light indoor type planes as it does not have the normal battery connection. The white connector on the board is where the battery gets connected.

basslord1124

Master member
That particular receiver is for ultra light indoor type planes as it does not have the normal battery connection. The white connector on the board is where the battery gets connected.

Really? I have used that same receiver in my Storch and FT Simple Cub.

Headbang

Master member
I am curious to at what is happening with your Lemons I have about 20 of them and have not had a problem. Which Lemons are you using as some are still only DSM2 compatible. DSM2 in some environment's can be an issue

He should not of done this but my nephew put a Lemon light receiver no satellite receiver ( the cheap $7 receiver ) in a 89 inch with a Fox 3000 engine and has flown it for 2 years this way I cringe every time he puts it up, but it has never glitched on him.

We are finding the new Orange receivers Gen 2`s with telemetry have been performing rock solid. At my club we have guys that have used them in everything from 3D Beast`s to giant Scale Citabria's so far so good.
I can not say what is happening. It was my first try with lemon. I have a lot of recievers from other manufacturers, have never had such consistent issues. Here is a pic of one that had issues.
20181206_201639.jpg

Chappie66

The white connector is for a satellite RX, other than that these little lemon RXs should be fine for park flyers, and boast true dual diversity antenna through a SPDT RF switch. And all for about 15 ish bucks! The actual Lemon RX site states they are full range RXs...

I also use Orange 615 and 620 plus a number of FlSky IA6 / IA6B varaiants and of course a couple FrSky full range RXs.

I love the 4 in 1 module...

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times

No it won't. At least no without an additional external module. Not sure why all these people are telling you to by a Spektrum compatible DSMX RX for a Frsky ACCST TX. You need a FrSky RX that is preferable D16. Generally there is no reason to buy new VII or D8 RXs to use with a Taranis

You should probably get a X6R or RX6R for general 6CH PWM use.
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-x6r-6-16-channel-receiver-with-sbus.html
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx6r.html

The RX6R is new, is much smaller, has more range and adds a redundancy feature ( you need a second RX to use it) but it's size makes it a bit more fiddly and fragile so may not be the best around kids.

There are other choices.

Bricks

Master member
The white connector is for a satellite RX, other than that these little lemon RXs should be fine for park flyers, and boast true dual diversity antenna through a SPDT RF switch. And all for about 15 ish bucks! The actual Lemon RX site states they are full range RXs...

I also use Orange 615 and 620 plus a number of FlSky IA6 / IA6B varaiants and of course a couple FrSky full range RXs.

I love the 4 in 1 module...

OOPS Sorry About That my mistake I was looking at a different receiver I had sitting here.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
A lot of good information. Pressalltheknobs obviously has a valid point. My chosen transmitter is ACCST protocol. That limits my options. FDS also has a point. Perhaps a better one. Drop in a module and I can fly just about any receiver! I like that! I found this one:

https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IR...Xl0ghuthdxIK1ShoCNCgQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

It's banggood, so a month for shipping, that's OK. That's not necessarily where I'm getting it from. I just can't search around much. I'm trying to upload video to youtube and I want to give it as much bandwidth as I can.

What it means though, is if that is the correct module for my trans, it is less than fifty bucks. I gave myself a budget of $300. $250 for the trans and a multiprotocol module for less than $50 and boom! I'll have a trans that has everything I want and can grow into AND I can basically buy whatever rcvr is cheap and fits my current needs. How can you beat that??!!

Chappie66

A lot of good information. Pressalltheknobs obviously has a valid point. My chosen transmitter is ACCST protocol. That limits my options. FDS also has a point. Perhaps a better one. Drop in a module and I can fly just about any receiver! I like that! I found this one:

https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IR...Xl0ghuthdxIK1ShoCNCgQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

It's banggood, so a month for shipping, that's OK. That's not necessarily where I'm getting it from. I just can't search around much. I'm trying to upload video to youtube and I want to give it as much bandwidth as I can.

What it means though, is if that is the correct module for my trans, it is less than fifty bucks. I gave myself a budget of $300. $250 for the trans and a multiprotocol module for less than $50 and boom! I'll have a trans that has everything I want and can grow into AND I can basically buy whatever rcvr is cheap and fits my current needs. How can you beat that??!!

Yes that will work with the Taranis.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Aloft Hobbies is probably my favorite place for radio kit. The service is unparalleled and the prices are right.

I have the X9D and have had it for several years. The X series receivers are excellent. For my 4" quad I am running an X4R SB. It's tiny and has the antenna and channels to do what I need. Sbus is two wires for 8 or 16 channels as opposed to PWM which uses 3 wires per channel making the wiring nice and tidy on a small airframe.

Aloft is solid for OpenTX programming help and they respond well and quickly to customer service issues.

Mad_Mechanic

+1 for Aloft Hobbies. I also like that they are a brick and mortar store in California. Their store is about 2 hours away from me. Close enough that getting stuff shipped from them only takes a day or two even with USPS but far enough away that I don't spend everyday in their store spending all my money. :LOL:

They are very prompt on returning e-mails and have been very helpful to me so far. And they have the best price I've seen for the QX7 transmitter I am going to buy at $106 USD.

Aloft is also one of 3 US based certified FrSky service centers, providing full after sales support and repair.