Now I need a receiver! Doh!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You didn't think of that did you? Let's assume you're new, like I am, you've been here long enough to have purchased a beginning-level trans, discovered you absolutely love to fly and you're ready to move up to a quality trans. I tossed that question out to our family and what resulted was an amazing thread that should be able to help anybody move on up. That thread is here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/300-for-a-new-trans.57406/

Weighing my needs against the information provided, I decided on the Taranis X9D Plus SE. So I found where to get one, and then, of course I needed some receivers. Holy Cow! There are so many darn receivers available and I've no clue. I'd like diversity. Two antennas seem better than one. Telemetry? Sounds awesome, but I honestly don't know if I'll need separate sensors to pull that off. Plus most of the receivers I looked at seem huge! I fly Mini's. The receivers I looked at were just way to big!

Mad_Mechanic, I checked out your spreadsheet. You rocked it on the transmitter thread. I naturally checked out your receiver spreadsheet linked in your signature. That's a lot of info, and I'm just too uneducated to understand it. I'm working on that.

In the meantime, I'm ready to buy the trans. Frackin' 16 channels, Hall Effect Gimbals, telemetry, all the bells and whistles. For about U.S. $250. I can grow into it, and I feel like I won't have upgrade it for a long, long time to come.

At this stage of the game for me (and probably the next person) I am looking for a small diversified receiver that works with Taranis. I don't need 16 channels. I would like six. I crash a lot. Telemetry is not really important at the moment. ;) Cheap-a$$ (small, really small) six channel receiver with diversity that works with Taranis. Or tell me I don't need diversity. Like I said I'm learning.

I'm tossing it out. Ya'll come back! :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I have used the hard cased version of the orange receiver but I won't be buying them again due to possible issues with susceptibility of the DSM2 protocol to interference. From now on I will only buy DSMX protocol receivers for FrSky. Both planes that I have had glitch out and crash in the river had those receivers in them. Probably co-incidence.
BTW - My Jumper T8SG V2 Plus has hall effect gimbols, 12 channels, advanced mixing, telemetry and is multiprotocol with a full expansion port on the back should I want to use the 900Mhz long range stuff. Considerably less than the price of a Taranis X9D Plus SE.
:)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I have used the hard cased version of the orange receiver but I won't be buying them again due to possible issues with susceptibility of the DSM2 protocol to interference. From now on I will only buy DSMX protocol receivers for FrSky. Both planes that I have had glitch out and crash in the river had those receivers in them. Probably co-incidence.
BTW - My Jumper T8SG V2 Plus has hall effect gimbols, 12 channels, advanced mixing, telemetry and is multiprotocol with a full expansion port on the back should I want to use the 900Mhz long range stuff. Considerably less than the price of a Taranis X9D Plus SE.
You always drop in from nowhere and just throw stuff at me! I love you for it! :love: BUT. Stop throwing stuff! That would have been good info for Mad_Mechanic to work into his spreadsheet way back at the beginning of the trans thread. I think I just ducked a plate. Nice throw. ;)

Now, I've got to look at a Jumper T8SG V2. Mad_Mechanic, you up for for it? Throw it into your spreadsheet?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I know your pain! Being older and knowing that I wanted a system that could support a number of models I actually chose my Rx first and then found the Tx to suit.

I chose a dual antenna Rx that is/was new and incredibly cheap, (FlySky/Turnigy). After chosing my rx I then bought the iA6 2A Tx.

It might seem that I put the cart before the horse BUT I already knew I wanted lots of planes and therefore I would need to by lots of Rxs.
As I now have 25 and I paid around $18AUD each that equated to $450AUD. That cost made the Tx cost, ($70AUD), seem insignificant. Now I have a "Chosen" Rx I know I can upgrade my Tx in the future to provide enhanced capacity and even features. Most of my models will never need more channels than my current Rxs and for those that do a compatible Rx is also available albeit at an increased cost.

So far I have 3 FlySky/Turnigy Txs and a buddy box cable.

People tend to forget the actual costs of a large number of Rxs as their hobby demands grow!

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
You always drop in from nowhere and just throw stuff at me! I love you for it! :love: BUT. Stop throwing stuff! That would have been good info for Mad_Mechanic to work into his spreadsheet way back at the beginning of the trans thread. I think I just ducked a plate. Nice throw. ;)

Now, I've got to look at a Jumper T8SG V2. Mad_Mechanic, you up for for it? Throw it into your spreadsheet?
...and it also has a wired buddy box lead and an external USB port that works directly with windows to show up as a standard joystick and has voice output with a little bit of soldering and adding a speaker! The only downside some people see is that it runs Deviation as it's software and not OpenTX - I actually prefer Deviation finding it more logical to use (but I just have to be awkward, don't I?

Arcfyre

Elite member
+1 on the lemons. I use the super light cheapies (LM0022) for minis and regular aircraft, and absolutely love the stabilized (LM0043) gyro RX in my wing.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I usually end up ordering some gear then be like "oh crap, I need to get a receiver too!" I used to have the mind set of re-using the same power pod (Josh's original idea for the swappable series) and thought I may just keep using the same receiver too. But I started realizing that I might hate the idea of having to disconnect the receiver wires from one model and then hook em up in another model, and then just hope that I got them all in the right spot. I can be pretty thorough and detailed, but I can make silly mistakes too. And then as I realized later on, that every model I was building was not really "accommodating" the swappable series power pods. I went from the FT Storch to the Seaduck and then the Super Bee...and all the motors in those are different sizes. So I eventually scrapped the idea and figured everything will have its own motor, ESC, and receiver (Plus, this allows me to build up a good stock of components in case of crashes). Just much better for me to bind and go.

I've been experimenting with brands of receivers. I did have an official Spektrum 4 channel at one point. Then I checked out the Lemon DSMX receivers...absolutely great receivers, never had an issue. So I have a few of the Lemons. Discovered HeadsUp Hobby has their own DSMX receiver called PowerUp. Got one in my Mini Scout...so far so good with it. Bought a few more for later models. I am also going to try a RedCon DSMX receiver (Banggood)...we'll see how it goes.

FDS

Elite member
If you have a DSMX module in the bay it will do all the Spectrum stuff or the 4:1 module it will bind to anything.

Bricks

Master member
If you have a DSMX module in the bay it will do all the Spectrum stuff or the 4:1 module it will bind to anything.

But that is adding cost to his original transmitter and he was trying to stay under $300,

The reason there are so many receivers built, copied to work with Spektrum is it is about the most popular transmitters out there. That should say something right there.

Mad_Mechanic

@buzzbomb - you just don't want me to be bored do you? ;)

I'll start looking at the Jumper and add it to the sheet.

EDIT: One thing I notice right off Buzzbomb is that the jumper has a smaller screen than the X9D. I recall from your other thread that screen size was somewhat important to you. Based on the specs, it looks like the Jumper has a screen about the same size as the QX7. I'm currently in the process of adding the Jumper to the spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Mad_Mechanic

@buzzbomb - Question for you. You said you fly minis, what connector style do your servos use?

Are they normal JR/Futaba style plugs? Or are they the 'micro' servo connector style like this:
19565-main.jpg

If you are using standard JR/Futaba style servo connections, then @ElectriSean has a good recommendation. The X6R is a simple 6-channel reciver. The RX6R is a slightly upgraded version, still supporting 6 channels but with enhanced range. typically there is a dollar difference in price.

IF your planes use the micro servo connector as pictured above, then your options from FrSky are significantly less. In fact you pretty much have only 1 option from FrSky at that point, the VD5M, but that's only a 5-channel receiver.

Now, if you use S.BUS then you are back to having a lot of options from FrSky for receivers.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

Yeah, the Orange DSM2 receivers were sketchy at best. LemonRX are solid, and I believe they are all using the DSMX protocol now, rather than the older DSM2. I've got one in my Strix Nano Goblin and it gets great reception, and I think it cost me like, $10 USD?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Yeah, the Orange DSM2 receivers were sketchy at best. LemonRX are solid, and I believe they are all using the DSMX protocol now, rather than the older DSM2. I've got one in my Strix Nano Goblin and it gets great reception, and I think it cost me like, $10 USD?
Yeah, those DSM2 receivers are great for parkflying by your self, I used one at flitefest during one of the combats, signal got knocked out instantly :cautious:.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Yeah, those DSM2 receivers are great for parkflying by your self, I used one at flitefest during one of the combats, signal got knocked out instantly :cautious:.

I don't even trust them for that. The distance was iffy on them, and sometimes you're flying 500-600' away from you (under the 400' limit, but that distance away), and they'll drop. I lost a couple of planes to intermittent signal at a distance. Fortunately, they crash landed in what we call "The Jungle", and not someone's house or anything, but having to climb through poison oak to get to it is NOT fun.